ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

14 Year Continuous Residence ILR Application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Character
Newly Registered

Post by Character » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:31 am

Hi All ,
chorc123 , I think you are in a very good position to succeed with your application.
You desire to know the art of living, my friend? It is contained in one phrase: make use of suffering.
First don't rush making moves or desicion always ask for advice. I think now is time to put a pressure on your solicitor and ask him to make some moves , try to materialise all what you said in a paper as a proof
If you are feeling depressed get a letter from your GP, try to get as much as possible character ref letters from people you met, lived and worked with. Make copies of the docs and ask your solicitors to legalise them.
Next: get in touch with local MP and ask him to get involved and to ask the UKBA to prioritise your case and deal with your application on a compassionate Ground.
I just find out that the UKBA has a new policy to send out Reps for each borough to deal with the immigration cases ( one to one)
So get in touch with your local council they should give you a name or a contact details.
And hopefully your application will be allocated to a legacy team; I heard some of them are very fast in making decisions.
Remember you waited 14 years this is not the time to give up forgot about the past, don’t worry about the future only the present count.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi Character,
I have pushed my solicitor many time, but he doesn't want to send letter to UKBA, as he said this type of case will take 1-2 years. However, he told us at the beginning, he will contact at 6 months if no news, After 6 months, he said it will take 1 years, But he said it will take 1-2 years yesterday.
I have contacted MP last week, but no news at all. I have sent a letter and explained fully for what was happening in details.
I don't think UKBA can put us at legacy. as I think it was the error of my first solicitor and delayed from my present solicitor. The present one should really file our case when we first paid him money. At least, we shouldn't wait for new passports for the case.....Anyway, I just couldn't put a word into this mess.
I don't know why I didn't trust other solicitors rather than our own nationals, just because one incident which happened many many years ago....I think I should pay for this ----discrimination---- by taking my family into this mess.. :cry:

jko
Newly Registered

Post by jko » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:36 pm

chorc123 wrote:Hi Character,
I have pushed my solicitor many time, but he doesn't want to send letter to UKBA, as he said this type of case will take 1-2 years. However, he told us at the beginning, he will contact at 6 months if no news, After 6 months, he said it will take 1 years, But he said it will take 1-2 years yesterday.
I have contacted MP last week, but no news at all. I have sent a letter and explained fully for what was happening in details.
I don't think UKBA can put us at legacy. as I think it was the error of my first solicitor and delayed from my present solicitor. The present one should really file our case when we first paid him money. At least, we shouldn't wait for new passports for the case.....Anyway, I just couldn't put a word into this mess.
I don't know why I didn't trust other solicitors rather than our own nationals, just because one incident which happened many many years ago....I think I should pay for this ----discrimination---- by taking my family into this mess.. :cry:
Chorc123
Many of the so call immigration solicitors do not know what they are doing. They are only interested in taking your money and the moment you give them your money, they start telling you a different stories. I had a similar issue with my solicitor when I applied for my 14yrs long residence ilr in 2006. In 2007 he wrote the HO and they replied back that my application was awaiting further consideration. In 2008, he asked me to pay him £500 to write a letter to my MP for ministerial intervention, which I refused. He therefore wrote a letter to the HO that he know longer represent me and a copy of this letter was also sent to me. I wrote the HO to let them know that he no longer represent me and that my original documents and any letter from them should be sent to my home address. In March, 2009, I wrote my local MP and explained to her in my letter about my immigration situation and application to the HO without any decision since 2006. She replied my letter in May, 2009 and sent a letter to the HO on my behalf. 4weeks later in June, 2009 the HO replied with apology for the long delay and said they had sent my application to a case owner and that I shoud be expecting a decision by December, 2009. In August 2009, I received a letter from a caseworker requesting for proofs that I live at my address with my family and requesting me to complete proof of entry questionnaire within 28days. I completed the form and sent it off with the requested documents and the same week they received my documents, I was granted ILR.
My story is to encourage you, you can contact your MP yourself by sending them a letter with your HO reference number and explaining your situation and they will contact the HO on your behalf. Even, 14yrs long residence applications get treated quickly now than before and I hope you hear from them soon.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi, jko,
thank you for your reply. I hope it will have some news shortly. May be my MP is still on holiday. :(
The present and previous solicitors never ever mention about legal aid. They assume you will find some money to paid no matter what. My case is a harsh lesson for my faimly. I just hope my MP can pick up the mess and let us get back on our own feet.
You refused to pay £500 for a letter, just same as I owed £300 to my previous solicitor, no money, no deal.

thelastman
Newly Registered

Your contribution will be much appreciated

Post by thelastman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:00 am

Does illegal entry necessarily jeopardize your 14 years ILR application. Even if you entered as a minor (15 years old). I'm about to make an application and this is the only point of contention. I have no criminal record, and have proof for all the years of residence. I have close family and spousal ties and I have paid taxes for many years.
I understand the rules recognises period of lawfull and unlawfull stay. But what if their is no period of lawfull stay. From reading the Long Residence Chapter, it seems to suggest that emphasis is given to if the person poses any danger to the public, and any ties they might have to the UK etc.
There is no removal order against me. My SAR file holds no information at all.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:32 am

Long residence rules wrote:For example, original illegal entry or overstaying do not count against an applicant.
See also Long residence again.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:26 pm

hi, I have received an acknowledgement letter from my MP who I ask for his help. He promised he would help. However, it is almost a month now. I still haven't received any feedback from UKBA or my MP. Does anyone has any experience with this kind of case? How long do the UKBA take for replying an enquiry from MP? I am just very worried as just not even a single word of reply.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:32 pm

chorc123 wrote:hi, I have received an acknowledgement letter from my MP who I ask for his help. He promised he would help. However, it is almost a month now. I still haven't received any feedback from UKBA or my MP. Does anyone has any experience with this kind of case? How long do the UKBA take for replying an enquiry from MP? I am just very worried as just not even a single word of reply.
It took a month for my MP to receive a reply from the UKBA. From reading this board I guess they are inundated with MP letters at the moment as many are experiencing extremely long waits.

Don't expect much. UKBA will simply send a standard letter to your MP therefore it's not to be taken seriously. However given your misfortune UKBA might give you case the attention and compassion it deserves.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi Kiwigirl, can I ask you again how long have you been waiting now? I hope we will be granted before x'mas. As no one know what will happen about the route to citizenship of 14 years case. I feel horrify about my family situation. All money spent but end up in a 'discriminate' feeling because we are apply through 14 years rule. :(

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi Chorc

Since 20th January 2010. Like you I would like a response before Xmas. As you've probably seen in the news NZ has been hit by a major earthquake and unfortunately it was my home town. So I would like to head home to see my family. Don't want to withdraw my application because that's £1600 (ILR fee and sol fees) and 8 months wasted.

Here's hoping both of us are graced with good news in the near future.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:37 pm

hi Kiwigirl,
now I know why your name is kiwigirl now.
I feel so sorry for you and completely understand your feeling. I feel the same I would like to go home and see my elderly parents again. Yes, we cannot afford to withdraw the application. It costs nearly £1000 for 14 years settlement for UKBA. I think if a case costs one day work, it is nearly £100 per hours. To be honest, if UKBA said they need £500 per hours but we can receive a decision within 7 days. I think I borrow that money from anywhere, legal or illegally to get it done. Waiting time is so painful and it likes we are waiting for a parole of a life sentance. My big mistake is mistrusted a so called solicitor then step into Hell bit by bit. The price is too big!!!

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi, Kiwigirl,
I have just received a letter from UKBA through my MP.
I am very disappointed as my MP said as our case is still awaiting allocation to a caseworker and he is sorry that he has not been able to be of more help with this matter....
The UKBA sent a full page of letter.....
As I posted here before what had happened in the past with the solicitor we used years ago. My MP has explained to them the whole story, but the UKBA said, ' I am not satisfied that there are sufficient compelling reasons to considers their case ahead of those who may be in a similarly difficult situation.....'
It also said the last leave to remain was refused on Nov, 2002. Then, nothing heard about from us till now etc..
I am worrying sick as the letter hasn't said anything possitive, as my case doesn't even with caseworker and still at croydon. I just don't know what to do. I am afraid it will go to legacy case when time goes by.
At the end of the letter, there is a standard warning about if the case had been refused, then no appeal, and pack your bags etc....
Has anybody received the same letter as me? Please let me know what you think....
Thank you.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:51 pm

It's a standard letter that UKBA send to everybody. I wouldn't worry about it. I got exactly the same letter via my MP.

It's simply a waiting game now. The 10 yr continuous applicants are waiting for 7-8 months and 14 continuous apps are usually 2-3 months longer than the 10 year waiting time. So my honest opinion is that we have at least a year's wait ahead of us. The "quick" turnaround that happened in June/July looks to be a knee jerk reaction to an adverse report that was published against UKBA in February 2010. They're now back to normal. :roll:

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi Kiwigirl,
Thank you very much for your kind response.
I do hope my case can be sorted out by X'mas. I know the chance for that is very slim.
My problem is only the money for living. As I said, although one of us has a full time job, it is still very difficult to meet the end needs. I cannot make money from my own profession as I have no status.
I can only describe it as 'frighten' and ' scary'. If I still need to wait for another couple of years. Then it will be at my late thirty. I am very regret for getting at bad legal advice at the beginning..
I will keep updating my case here.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:33 pm

Dear All

I received my ILR today (for certain this time). For all those 14 year applicants who are still waiting here is my timeline:

Application sent: 19 Jan 2010
UKBA Acknowledgement: 20 Jan 2010
Payment Claimed: 22 Jan 2010
Solicitor Complaint: 16 July 2010
MP Complaint: 5 August 2010
UKBA Response to Complaint (saying we don't want to know): 23 Aug 2010
ILR Received: 29 Sept 2010

So I think that's an 8 month wait.

Good luck to all those that are still waiting. Chorc123 hope you hear something soon.

This is goodbye as I now have a life to plan and commence therefore I'm sad to say that it is no longer my best interest to visit this forum (though I will for the next couple of days in case there are questions). Thanks to everyone for their support.

KG x
Please note due to personal circumstances I am no longer unable to reply to Private Messages.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:25 pm

hi, Kiwigirl,
I am so happy for you. I hope mine will be the same as you. Would you able to tell us more about your case? About your story.
I am speechless and sooooo happy for you, you can go home for X'mas.
Hope you have a bright future.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:32 pm

hI Kiwigirl, where was your passport sent? Your house or your solicitor?

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:09 pm

chorc123 wrote:hI Kiwigirl, where was your passport sent? Your house or your solicitor?
It was sent to my solicitor along with all other supporting documentation.

I'd rather not tell my story. That is my past and I would like to move on from that. I have a bright new future full of freedom ahead of me. Sorry if that sounded like I'm being difficult :(
Please note due to personal circumstances I am no longer unable to reply to Private Messages.

Smoothrun
Newly Registered

An Issue

Post by Smoothrun » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:51 am

Congratulations for your ILR success Kiwigirl. I have been following the site for a while, just decided to be a member.

I have applied the last march for 14 years long residence. Kiwigirl, I would like to submit my complaint because it has already pass over 6 months. Can I simply submit my complaint through MP simply on the basis of 6 months (informal) target?

Thank you

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Re: An Issue

Post by kiwigirl25 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:41 am

Smoothrun wrote:Congratulations for your ILR success Kiwigirl. I have been following the site for a while, just decided to be a member.

I have applied the last march for 14 years long residence. Kiwigirl, I would like to submit my complaint because it has already pass over 6 months. Can I simply submit my complaint through MP simply on the basis of 6 months (informal) target?

Thank you
Thanks

I can't say if the complaint from my MP was effective or not. There was another 14 year applicant who experience the same timescales as me but I don't think they complained via their MP.

Did you apply via a solicitor? If so ask them to complain, if they're half decent they will after 6 months. I also phoned UKBA at 6 months to voice my disapproval.

I woud wait another month before getting your MP involved. If you do expect more stress. The tone of the letter my received in response from UKBA was terse to say the less. So much so I was expecting a reject. Fortunately at that stage my frame of mind was such that I dismissed the letter as pure nonsense.

Good luck

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:51 am

Hi Kiwigirl,
I forgot to ask you if you know when you can apply for citizenship after you have ILR under 14 years rule.

Smoothrun
Newly Registered

Post by Smoothrun » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Thank you again Kiwigirl,

Yes, I will be waiting before any complaint. It has been well passed six months. There is no pattern for the decisions apparently and timeline varies from the base 5,5 weeks up to 30 weeks. I think, it is all about how to shelve the applications in UKBA, so process being done haphazardly in a greater respect. :)

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:40 am

chorc123 wrote:Hi Kiwigirl,
I forgot to ask you if you know when you can apply for citizenship after you have ILR under 14 years rule.
After 5 years lawful stay.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:12 pm

kiwigirl25 wrote:
chorc123 wrote:Hi Kiwigirl,
After 5 years lawful stay.
So does it mean go to probation or just citizenship straight after 5 years??
It will take forever to go for probation first. :?

Smoothrun
Newly Registered

Post by Smoothrun » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:24 pm

I have received my ILR today on the basis of 14 years residence. Waited 28 weeks. Called UKBA twice. Issued by Liverpool. Shall I apply for citizenship after 1 year or longer?

I have been member here only 4 days ago. So quite went distance so far. Thank you God.