ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does anyone know how a refusal appeal work?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zeezee28
Newly Registered

Does anyone know how a refusal appeal work?

Post by zeezee28 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:58 am

Hi,

I wanted to know the procedures for an appeal if refused a tier 1 general visa?

How long it takes to process a decision?

DO they overturn the decison straightaway if succesful?

If decision is succesful how long does it take for the passport to be stamped?

If dependant refused also do we have to fill out two appeal forms or one form is enough?

Do we have to go for a hearing?

DO hearings take place in london?

If I have missed put anything, please feel free to add in anything relevant.

Thanks and regards,

Tahir Bashir

Post by Tahir Bashir » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:08 am

If your appeal is successful, passport/s wouldn't be stamed straightway. Have you got the Hearing date? Are you in UK currently? Yes you have to go to the hearing if you don't have representative. What are the refusal grounds?

pricesoft

Post by pricesoft » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:44 pm

I was also refused a Tier2 visa on the grounds that my salary doesn't meet the minimum salary requirement for my job title as specified in the code of practice.

I have already got an appeal hearing date and I'm so nervous as I never even considered learning how the appeal process works until I found my same in this position.

Is there normally are good chance of successfully overturning the refusal if you've got a good case. I don't even know if I've got a good case.

@zeezee28 My own appeal is in London, but I don't know if there are other appeal hearing centres outside london.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:58 pm

There are Tribunals all over the place - two main ones in London, Taylor House and Feltham, and others all over the country.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Why dont you all go and sit in the back of such court hearings and look and listen to what goes on before you attend your own hearing. Its a public court and anybody can attend and see what happens.

It will give you a good idea and hence put you in a good stead for your own hearing. For more info click link below

http://www.tribunals.gov.uk/ImmigrationAsylum/

zhashim
Newly Registered

Re: Does anyone know how a refusal appeal work?

Post by zhashim » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:46 pm

zeezee28 wrote:Hi,

I wanted to know the procedures for an appeal if refused a tier 1 general visa?

How long it takes to process a decision?

DO they overturn the decison straightaway if succesful?

If decision is succesful how long does it take for the passport to be stamped?

If dependant refused also do we have to fill out two appeal forms or one form is enough?

Do we have to go for a hearing?

DO hearings take place in london?

If I have missed put anything, please feel free to add in anything relevant.

Thanks and regards,
Appeal times vary, depending on the queue. I imagine with the UKBA budget cuts and job losses planned, things may get backlogged and hectic for a little while.

Once you have your appeal, you can expect a determination in roughly 1 week. A copy of the determination will be sent to both yourself and the Treasury Solicitor to pass on to the UKBA.

The determination is binding from the date it is given; e.g. if the determination is dated 12th October and you receive it on 15th October, the determination has still been valid since the 12th.

The passport stamping works in two ways - if your passport is already with the UKBA, they will process it at their own speed - it could take a week or two till you receive it. If they require you to send your passport in, the same timeline applies once you have sent the requested travel document in.

In some cases they will send the stamp to your legal representative and you can apply it yourself. This is more common with ILR applications though, or paper applications made without original documentation.

A dependants application rides on the main applicant. If theirs is successful, the dependents will be successful. If the main applicant fails, the dependents will fail. When it comes to appeals, procedure generally stipulates that each appealing member fill in their own form while quoting the reference number of their main applicants/dependants. In this way your appeal hearings are together. Some solicitors tend to submit all of the references together though on a single form.

You should always attempt to attend your hearings. It will still be decided, with or without your presence. Your presence shows a degree of responsibility and only plays in your favour - unless ofcourse you behave in such a way that would damage it.

zeezee28
Newly Registered

Post by zeezee28 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:51 am

Thanks for all the replies,

Yes I have got my appeal date for december.

Do they ask questions at the appeal?

If they do, do they question only what they have queries aginst?

Finally, am i still legal to stay in the country as my visa was refused but have an appeal in december?

Thanks

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:23 am

zeezee28 wrote:
Finally, am i still legal to stay in the country as my visa was refused but have an appeal in december?
Most certainly.

It's up to you whether you want to attend your appeal, or if you do, to give evidence. Take your legal representative's advice.