ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How I got spouse visa from Canberra, funds, waiting times

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blessed78
Newly Registered

How I got spouse visa from Canberra, funds, waiting times

Post by blessed78 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi all,

I found it really frustrating searching high and low for UK spouse visa info relevant to Australians and I vowed I'd post info on my own application once it was successful - I'm now in the UK, so here it is!

Applied: July 14, 2010, Canberra.
Approval took 46 working days.
I had lived in UK prior to this application, on both working holiday and work permit visas. Never broke restrictions!

What I sent:

Proof of Funds
- Bank statements: 3 months, mine only (not sponsor's), containing £4500 at the time.
- My husband's job offer letter, mentioning his annual salary. Note: the job wasn't actually starting until two months after application date. This, apparently, was ok.
- Support emails from company I freelanced for in Australia. I had no full-time job, but sent letters saying I was virtually employed full time and verifying how much I was paid (as proven by bank account).
- Four of my business's invoices to said company
- Printout of about 20 ads for jobs I could do in UK

Accommodation
- Original tenancy agreement for our new flat in London, with both our names on it
- Deposit receipt

ID
- His passport photocopy, notarised in UK (which cost £10). Picture page only
- My original passport
- My birth certificate

Proof of contact
- Only an airline ticket proving he was in Australia with me six months earlier. I answered question on the app form, saying we were in daily contact, but sent no proof, ie emails or phone records. My husband and I had been apart for five months at the time of application.

And of course, app form with two photos.

We had a lot of time apart because we knew we wouldn't have much money, so my husband returned to the UK early to look for work and find us a flat. It worked!

Thanks to everyone here who helped, but my advice to Australians - don't read these forums too much or you'll go crazy with fear! Be thorough, not panicked.
Cheers