ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

council tax and ilr

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sweetmeat
Newly Registered

council tax and ilr

Post by sweetmeat » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:27 pm

T
Last edited by sweetmeat on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:30 pm

If you were supposed to pay council tax (which doesn't depend on the visa only but dependent on the kind of accommodation you live in) but did not pay, then it may be a problem.

If you were not expected to pay any council tax during your stay in the UK, then you cannot expect to possess any council tax bills and submit them for settlement application (as proof of address maybe). And because payment was never expected, no rules broken and therefore no influence on settlement application.

Students living in shared private accommodation may be liable to pay council tax, while students living in shared university accommodation are not.

regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Wondering why people suddenly become embarrassed of their queries and delete (edit) their posts .. soon after receiving answers?

Want themselves to benefit from the answers ... but not others!

:?
regards

devet
Newly Registered

Post by devet » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:15 am

I have a related query, so maybe this thread will be of benefit to others :)

I did submit my council tax bills for the last 5 years with my SET(O). But am worried now about having claimed a single occupant discount which was advised to me when I first started paying, both by the local council/government and the CAB!

Now, I did not stop to think that this was using public funds, but is this considered so???

All the best,

Pamela

devet
Newly Registered

Post by devet » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:19 am

Ok, found answer under 'Claiming Benefits' forum. Fine to claim the 25% discount as a single occupant, not a problem for ILR according to moderator John. Yay!

nksg

Post by nksg » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Single occupant discount is not a public fund. Dont worry , you will be fine with this.
devet wrote:I have a related query, so maybe this thread will be of benefit to others :)

I did submit my council tax bills for the last 5 years with my SET(O). But am worried now about having claimed a single occupant discount which was advised to me when I first started paying, both by the local council/government and the CAB!

Now, I did not stop to think that this was using public funds, but is this considered so???

All the best,

Pamela

jager

Post by jager » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:28 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Wondering why people suddenly become embarrassed of their queries and delete (edit) their posts .. soon after receiving answers?
Probably because of stories like this

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 17888.html

devet
Newly Registered

Post by devet » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:47 am

Shocking really...forwarded that to all my work colleagues who addicted to FB. :/