ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How old does a police clearence certificate have to be??!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SarahTaylor-Grobbelaar
Newly Registered

How old does a police clearence certificate have to be??!

Post by SarahTaylor-Grobbelaar » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm a Brit & my husband is in New Zealand. We applied for the settlement visa. The visa has been denied based on a car accident he had when he was in his teens. We are apealing against it but the visa office has asked for a police clearance, which we have but we dont know how old it has to be. Does anyone know? Could anyone help?
Also.... can he come on a visitors permit while the settlement visa is going through??

If anyone could help it would be great!

We had to get one for NZ so its 2 years old - will it matter? I've looked on websites & searched everywhere & called immigration but I cant get through to anyone who knows :cry:

Sarah

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: How old does a police clearence certificate have to be??

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:39 pm

SarahTaylor-Grobbelaar wrote:The visa has been denied based on a car accident he had when he was in his teens.
Where did the accident heppen? In NZ?

regards

zhashim
Newly Registered

Post by zhashim » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:56 pm

I am unsure as to how the process works with the Police in NZ, but perhaps contacting the UK equivalent will give you some idea?

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

For any enquiries relating to Police Certificates please contact ACRO Customer Services on

Tel: 0845 60 13 999

via email: customer.services@acro.pnn.police.uk

or write to ACRO at the following address enclosing a stamped addressed envelope.

ACRO
PO Box 481,
Fareham,
PO14 9FS

My personal opinion: The clearance should be as recent as possible. The logic behind this is that the purpose of the certificate is ascertain a subjects good conduct. As such, the more recent the clearance certificate is, the less likely you have been involved in any matters.

Australia typically accepts certificates up to 12 months old but there does not seem to be any specific guidance in regards to any other common law jurisdiction. It would be difficult to estimate what the permissible period is for the UK, but as the validity on CRB's is simply stated as 'as recent as possible', it would be prudent to assume a similar policy is in place.

Obviously the harder the document is to procure, the more leeway you will be afforded in regards to time.

Sorry for being quite vague, but I hope this information is of some help!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:48 am

You'll need a police clearance certificate issued by the authorities of the country where the incident happened. Check if the country's embassy in NZ can assist in the matter or if he can apply for a clearance certificate through the embassy in NZ.

I agree with the above response that you should arrange for a new clearance certificate rather than relying on the 2 yr. old one.

regards