ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

hi

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ammukutty
Newly Registered

hi

Post by ammukutty » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi,

I am granted long term residency.now, my question is can i leave the country for few years (say 2 years) and re enter the country without the need for a visa.I am planning to resign from my current job.currently i have stamp 4 on my passport.please suggest.

thanks
ammu

IRISH PHAROE
Member of Standing

Post by IRISH PHAROE » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:58 pm

HI,
WHAT I KNOW IS THAT YOU CAN'T BE AWAY OF THE COUNTRY FOR MORE THAN 12 MONTHS.
BUT WHAT IF YOU WILL VISIT IRELAND IN REGULAR BASIS LIKE TO STAY A WEEK EVERY SIX MONTHS WILL THAT WORK, I DO NOT KNOW?
IF SOMEONE KNOW THE ANSWER THAT WOULD BE HELPFULL.
REGARDS,
peace on you

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:23 pm

as far as i know there are no restrictions as to leaving the country after LTR. it's up to you. you will have 5 years stamp in your passport. get a re-entry visa for 5 years as well, and you should be fine, i guess... but of course, the policy can change with time...

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:23 am

IRISH PHAROE wrote:HI,
WHAT I KNOW IS THAT YOU CAN'T BE AWAY OF THE COUNTRY FOR MORE THAN 12 MONTHS.
BUT WHAT IF YOU WILL VISIT IRELAND IN REGULAR BASIS LIKE TO STAY A WEEK EVERY SIX MONTHS WILL THAT WORK, I DO NOT KNOW?
IF SOMEONE KNOW THE ANSWER THAT WOULD BE HELPFULL.
REGARDS,
Long Term REsidency, in the eyes of the Department of Justice is granted on the basis that you intend to reside in Ireland. One poster is right, there is no actual expressed requirement, but the department will certainly say there is an implied term that you would not be out of the country for more than 1 year.

If I were you I would avoid being out of the country too long.

However, in order to cover your tracks I would keep by bills and bank account active etc, in case they start sniffing around. You probably should return as much as possible, a week every six months might not be enough to be honest. Are you claiming any social etc.

You should have a word with a solicitor. But in fairness, this is not something, ANYONE could advise with absolute certainty as the previous poster stated, its policy (unpublicised policy at that) Moreover, it is only now in these days that LTR is coming into knowledge as the first batch are being granted.

What's your nationality? The reason I ask it that your passport won't tell lies as you where you are travelling. Anyway, you have 5 years so I am sure you will hae a clean passport by then

ammukutty
Newly Registered

Post by ammukutty » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:11 am

What's your nationality? The reason I ask it that your passport won't tell lies as you where you are travelling. Anyway, you have 5 years so I am sure you will hae a clean passport by then

I am an indian national.can you explain what you mean by clean passport.I am planning to go to Canada for few years as i have got a job offer from there..Will they cancel my visa while i leave this country.I am planning to come back after 2 years.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:55 pm

your long term residency wouldn't be cancelled if you were to leave the country. if i were in your position, i would go to canada and then come back to ireland. chances are that you can stay in canada for good maybe, if life is better there. the other question is are you applying for citizenship? because you leaving the state would have a negative impact on that.