ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

divorce / ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

yankee1
Newly Registered

divorce / ILR

Post by yankee1 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Being married to my partner for nearly four years now.

I got my indefinite leave to remain in early 2009 & sometimes around march 2009 things between me and my partner started getting worst.

To cut story short we both living seperately now. She (my partner) now seeking divorce and making up completely false allegation of the situation.

Can you please advise me if the divorce will ever affect my ILR in any circumstances.

zhashim
Newly Registered

Post by zhashim » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:22 pm

No, it will not have any effect. Your visa conditions are dictated to you very clearly when it is granted (e.g. you must be regular resident in the UK, etc.)

Your marriage only has relevance if you are a dependent or on a spouse visa. If you have been granted ILR it supercedes the restrictions placed by short term visas.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:43 am

What is your wife actually saying? Is she saying that your relationship had already finsihed when you got ILR, or something similar?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

zhashim
Newly Registered

Post by zhashim » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:04 am

avjones wrote:What is your wife actually saying? Is she saying that your relationship had already finsihed when you got ILR, or something similar?
Amanda forgive me if I am wrong here, but would that make a difference? Surely the rules of double jeopardy do not apply where immigration is concerned?

It would be highly irregular for the UKBA to revoke an ILR on this basis.

Furthermore, wouldn't such allegations by the wife serve to incriminate her as well for hiding evidence of such a breakdown at earlier junctures?

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:26 am

zhashim wrote:
avjones wrote:What is your wife actually saying? Is she saying that your relationship had already finsihed when you got ILR, or something similar?
Amanda forgive me if I am wrong here, but would that make a difference? Surely the rules of double jeopardy do not apply where immigration is concerned?

It would be highly irregular for the UKBA to revoke an ILR on this basis.

Furthermore, wouldn't such allegations by the wife serve to incriminate her as well for hiding evidence of such a breakdown at earlier junctures?
Yes, it potentially could make a real difference. Double jeopardy isn't relevant.

It wouldn't be irregular at all, if they curtailed leave to remain on the basis of deception.

The wife's allegations might not include evidence of any wrong doing on her part.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

yankee1
Newly Registered

Post by yankee1 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:22 pm

@ avjones

Thank you very much for your comments

1. She is actually stating violence as one of her ground for divorce. Which has never occurred while we were together.

2. There was no any deception at all. But she sent me packing out of the house and moved in another guy. She is presently preganant for the guy.

Please could you advise if this will have any effect on my record or my status.

Thanking very much and look forward to hearing your comment.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:49 pm

It won't affect your legal status here. The divorce is purely a family law matter and nothing to do with immigration.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:03 pm

It won't affect it unless:

(1) she's saying the relationship broke down before the ILR application / grant

(2) You get prosecuted and convicted for criminal offences