ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need advice on funds requirement - FLR(M)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tra8erse
Newly Registered

Need advice on funds requirement - FLR(M)

Post by Tra8erse » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Hello,

I am going to apply for an unmarried partner visa later this month in Croydon PEO. I am slightly confused as to what is the best way to show my earnings to satisfy maintenance requirement.

I work part-time three days a week and my salary is paid into my UK bank account and easily checked against my payslips. I am also registered as self-employed and work freelance in the other two days a week. My partner is employed and has some savings, too. All of this we can show at the PEO.

Even if self-employed earnings are not taken into account, after rent and council tax my partner and I together have about £1,200 a month to live on. Is this + savings adequate for the visa purposes? Are there any exact maintenance criteria?

I would appreciate some knowledgeable advice on the matter.
Last edited by Tra8erse on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:20 pm

How long have you been earning as self-employed and are you registered as such with HMRC. The legal requirement is to do so within 3 months of commencing self-employed work.

Tra8erse
Newly Registered

Post by Tra8erse » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:33 pm

I registered almost exactly a year ago, have UTC, paid NI, the lot. My first tax return is not due until 31 Jan'11 and in any case, will only show earnings up to the end of last financial year.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Fine. Your earnings apart from your self-employment appear to be more than sufficient to meet the financial criteria. Make sure you submit strong proof of the relationship throughout the full 2 years (minimum). The focus will be on evidence showing joint commitments as you would expect to see in a formal marriage...finances, tenancy/mortgage etc.

Tra8erse
Newly Registered

Post by Tra8erse » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks Casa, you eased my mind on this. My partner and I also inclined to just show the salaries.

We have a joint tenancy agreement for the same flat for over two years, joint electricity bills, an odd council tax bill + loads of bills and documents in either my name or his, with the same address. We are also both named drivers (he as a spouse/partner) in the car insurance for the car we bought in my name. If this is not commitment, I don't know what is :)

Also, how necessary, in practice, are 'cover letters' or personal statements? The guidance does not really require them and the form asks all the relevant questions. The idea of writing a mushy statement just makes me cringe and I would think that having a cover letter, when everything else is in order, look a bit like 'trying too hard'.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:14 pm

You're applying for FLR(M)..in person? They will simply check your documents, photocopy which ones they choose and give the originals back to you. With the supporting documentation of joint accounts/address etc, I doubt that they would take the time to read a letter explaining the depth of the relationship. From what current visa category are you switching?

Tra8erse
Newly Registered

Post by Tra8erse » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Yes, in person. Switching from Tier 1 PSW, obtained from within the UK.