ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is december/jan are good seasons to search for an IT job.

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ssm4u
India

Post by ssm4u » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:21 am

Thanks for your reply.
Is it a good idea to leave the job and then go there and try or should I take leave for 1 month and then go there.

Could anyone give me a rough estimate of 1 month expenses at london.
ssm4u

desperado1306
India

Post by desperado1306 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:40 am

I suggest you hold back your horses till the year end. One month should be good enough for you to find a job, better you take leave from your current employer for a month, travel to UK and hunt for a job. If at all you are contemplating resigning from your current job, be sure of your decision, you know your profile better than anyone else to comment.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:13 am

December and first half of January are not a good time for a job search in UK - a lot of people take time off around X-mas and New Year's.
Of course finding a new job during that time is not impossible (I once started a contract on 2nd of January with final interview on 31 of December :shock: ) - but it will be less likely than say in February or November.

ssm4u
India

Post by ssm4u » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:26 am

Hi Thanks for your reply.

I've done initial research and talked with few consultants. I've even got 2 calls from the company directly but when they came to know that I'm at India they are not showing further intrest.

I've heard that I can directly walk in to some of the UK companies with my resume. Could you please guide some thing with that regard.

Also please let me know some consultancy or contract employment provider.

One more thing is it feasible to arrange some contact employment before reaching there?
ssm4u

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:06 pm

ssm4u wrote:I've heard that I can directly walk in to some of the UK companies with my resume. Could you please guide some thing with that regard.
Definitely not :shock:
ssm4u wrote:One more thing is it feasible to arrange some contact employment before reaching there?
What's "contact employment" ?
Contact with recruitment agents - yes.
Any actual employment - no.

mobyshaikh
Newly Registered

Post by mobyshaikh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Continuing on the same discussion: is june/july a good time to land in UK for job hunt?

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:06 pm

mobyshaikh wrote:Continuing on the same discussion: is june/july a good time to land in UK for job hunt?
A lot better than over the Christmas / New Year period, but perhaps not the best time.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

mobyshaikh
Newly Registered

Post by mobyshaikh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:09 pm

avjones wrote:
mobyshaikh wrote:Continuing on the same discussion: is june/july a good time to land in UK for job hunt?
A lot better than over the Christmas / New Year period, but perhaps not the best time.
thanks .... so what are the best times?

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:33 am

1. October-November
2. February-March

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:04 am

wunder wrote:1. October-November
2. February-March
Agree with Wunder on this though I would say Sept/Oct is when things are at its peak as many companies hire to ensure yearly head count and growth targets. And Aug is quite good as well. Also note that this is very IT Specific - I cannot say the same for other industries though there will be some similarities

Feb/March is when the new year begins for Businesses after XMas/NY. Lot of resource planning, budgeting for projects and the likes will happen during these months and is a good time to jump on jobs as there will be quite a bit on sale then :-)

It's quite simple - core summer and winter months are of no use. People go holidaying during Summer as there are school holidays and its a time when most work has begun, people get stuck in and do the 'real' work. So this is not usually the time when they want and plan for long term resources
Winter mainly because of the XMas Season in Dec. People just work for XMas and hence, as a practice, its just a month of winding down work. Jan is then lost just getting back into shape to start working.

Changing Seasons - Early Spring time and Autumn are the best because as Seasons change so do companies and hiring is most active during these times. ;-)

All the best
KP

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:39 pm

In my experience quite a few people take holidays in September - that's why I did not include it. IMHE (in my humble experience :) ) of course :wink:

Other considerations:
April and May have several bank holidays and Easter - which tend to slow down recruitment.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:48 pm

wunder wrote: April and May have several bank holidays and Easter - which tend to slow down recruitment.
Agree 1 MILLION percent - its the first set of Holidays after XMas and people just wait for it to run away on a nice break. So Feb/March is when the action picks up

KP