ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling with ILR and new passport

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

luciouse
Newly Registered

Travelling with ILR and new passport

Post by luciouse » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi

I sent an application for 'transfer of ILR to new passport' in sept 2010. UK Border received my application form on the 13th sept but on the 11 of Oct they sent back my documents back stating that as from the 1st of Oct 2010 the fees has gone up to £200 and that I should make a new application form. My dilemma is i'm due to travel for business purpose first week of dec 2010. If i'm to re-send my application by post the waiting period can be as long as 14 weeks and in-person application will cost £578.

Can i travel with my ILR and new passport separate or is it a 'must' I transfer my ILR to new passport prior to travelling? Has anyone done so and what was your experience?

Secondly can i apply for naturalization before 12 month period? I received my ILR in march but have been in the country for over 13 years. I have read some reports of people who have applied as soon as they received their ILR and were successful. I'm inquiring this as i'm due to apply for my naturalization in feb 2011.

Kindly assist as i don't know what to do

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:21 pm

1. When the application was received by UKBA on 13-Sep, then they cannot demand that you pay the new fees which became effective only after 17 days of your application being received.

2. There is no need to transfer ILR to a new passport. People do it on their own will and not because they must. No problem in travelling as long as you carry both the passports with you (current passport + passport with ILR stamp).

3. When you may be eligible for naturalisation depends on many factors, including your past immigration history. So, difficult to answer this query without the necessary information. For answers on the subject, please post details in the British Citizenship forum.

regards

luciouse
Newly Registered

Post by luciouse » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Hello- Sushdmehta and my apologies for not being to clear

1.On the first point, i really have no idea why the UKBA did not process my application being that they received the application on the 13 sept. I called the main line but was faced with the same reply ....to apply again and there was no way of telling me how long the process would take if i made a postal application.

2.Many thanks for clarifying for me that 'there is no need to transfer the ILR to my new passport' and that I can travel with both documents separate especially being that i'm applying for my naturalization in feb 2011. Please if you may, have you got links to this information so i can print for my own back-up in-case this issue posses a problem at the airport.

3.I will post the subject on the British Forum

Many many thanks

regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:26 pm

luciouse wrote:Please if you may, have you got links to this information so i can print for my own back-up in-case this issue posses a problem at the airport.
Transferring your visa to a new passport wrote:You do not need to transfer your residence permit to your new passport. If you choose not to transfer your permit, you should carry both your old and new passports when you travel to the UK - this will prove to our immigration officers that you have the right to be in the UK. If you cannot produce your residence permit when you arrive at our border, you may not be allowed to enter the country.

regards

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:16 pm

It is standard that any active visa, is accepted, provided it is carried in the old passport along with the current passport.
In UK, immigration officers often write VIPP in your new passport(visa in previous passport).
Best Regards

ilrq1
Newly Registered

Post by ilrq1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:09 pm

Hello

I wanted to know if it is possible for me to travel abroad and return to the UK without any immigration problems depending on my situation:

I have got my ILR but it's on a piece of paper, i.e. it is not attached to my passport. When the UKBA gave me my ILR they realised since my passport was already expired, they decided to just return my old passport and give me my ILR separately on a A4 page.

So now I want to travel, I know I need to get a new passport of course. But DO I HAVE TO get the ntl stamp on the new passport, or can I travel and return to UK simply showing the immigration officer my new passport and ILR separately. And do I also have to show them my old passport, even though UKBA didn't stamp it or anything.

My main reasons for not getting the ntl stamp is because it cost £200 and plus I want to get my naturalisation soon, but in the mean time is this feasible.

Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:23 pm

Shouldn't pose a problem when travelling to home country and (re)entering UK.

But may be a problem when applying for visa to travel to other countries, as some countries require residence permits to be affixed in the passport.

regards

jamil05

Post by jamil05 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:07 pm

i have exactly same situation. I cant afford the almost £600 for the visa to be transfared to passport from A4 pirce of paper. First week of December im due to travel to south africa. The flight is from birmingham, Amsterdam, then south africa. Will i face any problems on my way back especially in Holland with VISA not in passport but on A4 paper?