ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

3 Visa rejected for absence of bank logo. Devastated!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rachna Shah
Newly Registered

3 Visa rejected for absence of bank logo. Devastated!

Post by Rachna Shah » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:35 am

Hi all,

I am devasted and completely shocked. I applied for a Tier-1 visa with my husband and child as 2 dependents. We all applied together, so you can imagine the money that we had to pay. I got all the points in every section, except the maintenance section. I have an account in Union Bank of India, which is a govt bank and not a private bank. They use really old fashioned Dot-matrix computers and could not provide a bank statement on official letter head. However, the statement was stamped and signed. The bank statement showed transactions for last 15 months. I also took a letter from the bank on the letter head, confirming my name, account number, address, closing balance and so on. The letter also said a detailed bank statement for the last 15 month period is attached. This letter had the bank logo, their direct calling numbers and was signed by the bank manager himself. Inspite of this, my visa got rejected. The reason was given that the bank statement did not have the official logo of the bank and the letter did not cover the full 90 day period.

The letter was only given to authenticate the bank statement, hence i did not ask the bank to mention 90 day balance in the letter. Now, the embassy has returned the bank statement to me along with other certificates, and have kept only the letter with them. They have given us the option to go for Admin review. I am so devastated because of the huge amount of money that i seem to have lost and really need some help/advice on how to go about the AR. My questions are the following:

1. Should I re-submit the orginal bank statement along with the AR form which they returned, despite of them saying no additional docs to be submitted?

2. Should i mail embassay, tell them my case, and ask them if I can submit a fresh letter about 90 day maintenance from the bank? Is this possible? Is is the embassay that you mail, or the VFS? I doubt if they will say yes to this though.

3. What should I write in the AR form? There doesnt seem to be enough space in the form, so should I attach a document? Can I type or does the form need to be handwritten?

Thanks a ton!
Rachna

desperado1306
India

Post by desperado1306 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:46 am

Bad luck! If I were in your situation, I would take the letter from BHC with their comments and show it to the bank manager, ask him to reissue the letter on official stationary of the bank, stating the closing balance, name, adresses etc. along with an statement taht "The account had the minimum balance of XXX amount in last three months starting dd-mm-yyyy and ending on dd-mm-yyyy".

I am sure the bank manager would have to oblige and then submit AR.

Rachna Shah
Newly Registered

Post by Rachna Shah » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:09 am

Can I do that? Because the AR form says we cannot submit any additional documentation. Also, the previous letter from the bank is still with them. If I now send a new lettet with 90 day period mentioned, wont it be considered a new document?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:29 am

No new document(s) can be included with AR request / notice.

regards

Rachna Shah
Newly Registered

Post by Rachna Shah » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Thank you for your response. I do understand that no new documents should be included with the AR response document.

However, what I fail to understand is why should I send any other document when I have sent the Union bank statement covering not 3 but 15 month period, duly signed and stamped by the bank manager and a letter from the bank on the letterhead stating my name, account number, and that they have attached a 15 month bank statement showing all transcations in my acccount for the purpose of UK visa. Do I still need to send them any additional documentation?

How should I prepare my case for AR review?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Rachna Shah
Newly Registered

Post by Rachna Shah » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Thank you. I will prepare my case on similar lines and post the draft here for your feedback.

What is the procedure to send the AF document? Is it sent by person or by post? If by post, what is the address? I applied the visa in New Delhi through VFS.

Also, the form seems to have very limited space. Can I type my response and attach it as an A4 sheet instead of filling up the columns in the AF form?

Should I use a consultant to prepare my case if that would increase my chances of a decision being overturned. I am ready to pay for their services, as I have a huge amount at stake (Fees for 3 applicants). If yes, where do I find one?

Thanks a million!

Rachna Shah
Newly Registered

Post by Rachna Shah » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi all,

Here's my response for AR. Please provide your feedback and let me know if I am missing something or if something is not clear to you. Thanks!

Date: 25th September 2010

To,
The Administrative Review Department
The British Deputy High Commission
New Delhi
Post Reference no. xxxxxx

Dear Sir or Madam:

My name is Rachna Shah. I have recently been denied an Entry Clearance Visa for Tier 1 General visa application filed with the VFS Receipt # ……………

I believe the decision to refuse my entry clearance application may have been incorrect. There may be certain discrepancies and errors in my application review and I would like to request for an administrative review. Please find below a detailed clarification addressing all concerns put forth in my application.

I have claimed 10 points under Maintenance Funds section. As proof of maintenance, I have provided a Union Bank of India statement. The ECO has denied those points stating that the Union Bank of India statement does not have the bank logo and therefore cannot be considered as proof of maintenance.

The following support documents submitted with the application verify my claims:
1. Certified Union Bank of India statement (printed by the bank using a Dot- Matrix printer. Union bank of India only uses Dot-matrix printers and have provided the bank statement using their standard procedure) having official stamp of bank on each page, signed by the bank manager, with address of the bank along with their contact details. The statement attached included all details such as Name, address, date when the statement was generated, customer ID, account number, and all showing all transactions covering 15 month period from 01st June 2009 to 23rd Sept 2010. The bank statement was also laminated to avoid tearing, as the paper used was fragile.

2. Union Bank of India letter on the official letter head of the bank stating my name, address, account number, date since when account maintained and stating that a bank statement for 15-month period from 01st June 2009 to 23rd Sept 2010 has been enclosed for your reference. This letter was also signed by the bank manager and has bank contact details, including email address and phone number.

Clarifications:
1. In order to earn points for maintenance for the claimed of 27th June 2010 to 27th Sept 2010, I submitted certified Union bank of India bank statement printed by the bank with the official stamp of the bank and signature of the branch manager on every page. This was as per the published guidance at the following link http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... intenance/ which states the following:

Personal bank or building society statements:
These should clearly show:

your name;
your account number;
the date of the statement (dated no more than 1 month prior to the date you submit your application);
the financial institutions name and logo;
transactions covering the three month period;
that there are sufficient funds present in the account (the balance must always be at least £2800). The balance should not fall below the required minimum at any time during the 3 month period.

Ad hoc bank statements printed on the bank's letterhead are admissible as evidence (this excludes mini-statements from cash points). If you wish to submit electronic bank statements from an on-line account these must contain all of the details listed above. In addition you will need to provide a supporting letter from your bank, on company-headed paper, confirming the authenticity of the statements provided. This must be dated no more than 1 month prior to the date of the application. Alternatively an electronic bank statement bearing the official stamp of the bank in question will be accepted. The stamp should appear on every page of the statement. Statements which simply show the balance in the account on a particular day are not sufficient.

It is mentioned that - Alternatively, the kind of statements I have submitted at the time of application will be accepted.

2. Additionally, the UKBA website (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... intenance/) also mentions the similar and is as following:

Accounts held with other banks
If you have a bank account that does not operate exclusively online but you receive your bank statements electronically and you wish to use these statements as evidence of funds for maintenance, you should provide:
• Electronic bank statements printed at the bank on their official stationary; or
• Electronic statements printed by the applicant and bearing the official stamp of the bank in question. This stamp should appear on every page of the statements; or
• A supporting letter from the bank, on the banks company headed paper, confirming the authenticity of the statements.

In light of this, I meet the requirement of providing a bank statement with stamp and signature on each page AND additionally also provided a letter from the bank authenticating my details in the bank statement (name, address, account number, closing balance, and mention about 15 month bank statement enclosed). The bank statement I submitted originally was returned back to me. I am aware that as per guidelines no additional documents can be submitted with the administrative review. However, I am re-attaching my previously provided bank statement to be considered along with the bank letter from Union Bank of India and a photocopy of the letter from the bank submitted previously, to verify the funds.

3. I would also like to bring your kind attention to the following publication on administration review by the House of Commons which states (point number 149 and 150 on the following link: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... /21711.htm)

The Points Based System relies heavily on applicants providing documentary evidence for the various attributes, such as bank statements and qualifications certificates. Problems with providing the required documentation in some parts of the world were mentioned during our Indian visit. Visa officials in Delhi told us that they had encountered difficulties with paperwork relating to salary in countries such as India and China, where it is not standard practice to pay salaries directly into employees' bank accounts. This meant that some applicants did not have the bank slips required to prove evidence of salary or maintenance.[174] The Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants was similarly exercised over the prohibition on submitting additional or clarifying documentation, criticizing that under the system:
Innocent oversight cannot be made good by a commonsense approach that permits the submission of fresh evidence…experience shows that in most cases the right decision is promoted through the production of further evidence, the need for which is often not appreciated until notification of an adverse decision clarifies quite what material is perceived as inadequate by the entry clearance officer.[175]

We agree that an administrative review on objective criteria will be more transparent and easier to administer. However, requiring a new application and a fresh fee for failing to furnish the UK Border Agency with rigidly defined types of paperwork is palpably unfair. This is particularly the case for applicants from countries in which the use of documents such as pay slips is not common practice. That some applicants are unable to meet the documentation requirements through circumstances beyond their control is apparent from our conversations with UK Border Agency officials in New Delhi. We therefore recommend that applicants should be able to submit additional documentation, if it is requested, without having to make an entirely fresh application and pay another fee.

4. I would also like to bring your kind attention about genuineness of documents, as stated at the link: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... es/part6a/ which states the following:

If the Entry Clearance Officer or Secretary of State has reasonable cause to doubt the genuineness of any document submitted by an applicant which is, or which purports to be, a specified document under Part 6A or Appendices A to C, or E of these Rules and having taken reasonable steps to verify the document, is unable to verify that it is genuine, the document will be discounted for the purposes of this application.

In light of this, if even after the official letter from the bank you have doubts/concerns about the statement, I would request you to please contact my bank directly to verify what they have already stated.

Having provided all the above clarifications I humbly urge ECO to re-consider my application and grant me the points I deserve under Maintenance Funds section and thereby re-evaluating this application to my favor.

If you require any more documents or need to contact me directly, please feel free to email me at rachnachaudhary@gmail.com or call my mobile at xxxxxx.

Thanking you.

Sincerely,

Rachna Shah

Rachna Shah
Newly Registered

Post by Rachna Shah » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Can anyone with experience in dealing with rejections, or a successul AR please review my case below and provide me feedback. Moderators, could you please provide your valuable feedback on my draft AR response below?

Thanking you all in anticipation,

Rachna

Harpal Cheema
Newly Registered

Post by Harpal Cheema » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:35 am

Hi Rachna

I can understand your situation and the devastation you must have felt at being rejected for such a silly reason. I have been in the same situation 2 months ago, or perhaps even worse, because I had applied for myself and family (total 4 members). My Tier 1 was rejected for exactly the same reason. I also applied for AR and sent the statement for exactly the same period (as with initial application) but this time with the logo, but my AR was also rejected (after processing it for 1 month). So I wasted almost 2 months altogether (and more than 2 lacs) without any positive outcome. I even sent an Appeal to the 'Immigration tribunal' in UK and they also concluded that I have no right for appeal.

The only silver lining was that in the meantime I filed a fresh Tier 1 application (only for myself) with a bank statement with logo. After another month of processing, I have now received the visa. Though I would not like to discourage you from filing AR, going by my own experience, I doubt it is going to work.

If you are pressed for time, I would suggest that you follow the advise of experts on this board, while at the same time file a fresh application for yourself (with logo'ed statement. Once you receive your visa, then file for the dependants.

Best regards

Harpal

Rachna Shah
Newly Registered

Post by Rachna Shah » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:21 am

Thanks Harpal for writing to me and sharing your experience.

If you do not mind me asking, could you please let me know the reason stated for refusal of AR by the embassy? Also, if you could share, could you share the AR response you submitted in the form? Did they consider your sending a new bank statement with logo as a new document and hence rejected it? (As no new documents can be sent?)

Thanks in advance,
Rachna

Rachna Shah
Newly Registered

Post by Rachna Shah » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:33 am

sushdmehta wrote:No new document(s) can be included with AR request / notice.

regards
On the link here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... s#22323912, there is a point which says If you have documents supporting your grounds of appeal, you should send these with Form IAFT-2. Does that mean we can send an explanatory letter from the bank explaining what their previous letter meant??!!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Rachna Shah wrote: On the link here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... s#22323912, there is a point which says If you have documents supporting your grounds of appeal, you should send these with Form IAFT-2. Does that mean we can send an explanatory letter from the bank explaining what their previous letter meant??!!
Can I appeal if my application is refused?

regards

Harpal Cheema
Newly Registered

Post by Harpal Cheema » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:34 pm

As per the guidelines, you cannot send any new document when filing for AR. The 'reviewer' mentioned that he had received the new bank statement, but he has not considered it (without mentioning whether the statement confirms to the requirements or not). Further he mentioned that I should make a fresh application if I wish my case to be processed again.

Re: Appeal, I did fax the IAFT2 form to tribunal in UK, but got a reply that I do not have right of Appeal in the present decision made by BHC.

Since our cases are almost identical, I presume that you will also receive similar responses for both AR as well as Appeal, though I must add that I didn't use services of a lawyer or a consultant in drafting any of my letters. It is possible that if you are persuasive enough, you may get a different outcome, but at the same time considering that UK govt is in general tightening on immigrants, there seems to be a general tendency on part of UKBA to reject applications on flimsy grounds and discourage applicants.

In my case I was very hard pressed for time and therefore decided to file a fresh case and pay fees again. If you have the patience and time to fight, you can try your luck and hope for the best or simply pay up a 2nd time.

Good luck for your application.

Best regards

Harpal

Rachna Shah
Newly Registered

Post by Rachna Shah » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:56 pm

Thank you Harpal. So, if I am understanding this correct, they did not even look into your case again in AR and simply rejected because you had submitted a new document? So, if we submit a new document, do they simply ignore the document and re-look at the case or do they simply reject you again saying since you sent a new doc which you were not supposed to do, you have been rejected?

Harpal Cheema
Newly Registered

Post by Harpal Cheema » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:15 am

The AR was not rejected because I had submitted a new document. The new document was simply not considered for the AR.

BHC took exactly 28 days for conducting the AR (whereas initial decision was conveyed to me within 15 days). As per guidelines entire application is re-assessed in AR, but in practice I think they just sat on my AR request for 25 days and repeated their earlier decision on the 28th day i.e. the last day of the 28 day deadline by which they are supposed to reply. All in all a complete waste of time (perhaps this is what BHC wants applicants to realize and accordingly refrain them from filing ARs).

Best regards

Harpal

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:52 am

I don't think that it's reasonable for the UKBA to expect every bank in the world to conform to its strict definitions of specified documents. Why should they? When genuine documents are rejected, this seems to indicate that the definitions of specified documents are too strict.

245AA(b) seems to give ECOs the discretion to treat any submitted documents as "which purports to be, a specified document" and act accordingly. Ideally, a fair ECO should not simply discard any submitted documents out of hand. ECOs should also follow the recommendations in paragraph 150.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kutlee

Post by kutlee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:00 am

AR is only if you are sure that the original documents supplied are enough to gain tier-1. Since there is an issue with the logo (although guidelines doesn't state that it should be in colour), AR might be turned down.
If you want to rectify the bank statements, make a fresh application. Is the logo coming out on the paper as part of printout?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:13 pm

vinny wrote:I don't think that it's reasonable for the UKBA to expect every bank in the world to conform to its strict definitions of specified documents. Why should they? When genuine documents are rejected, this seems to indicate that the definitions of specified documents are too strict.

245AA(b) seems to give ECOs the discretion to treat any submitted documents as "which purports to be, a specified document" and act accordingly. Ideally, a fair ECO should not simply discard any submitted documents out of hand. ECOs should also follow the recommendations in paragraph 150.
Example1 and example2 indicate that the ECO/ECMs are not using discretion even though the rules (seem to) allow them to do so.

If the OP is not pressed for time, he/she may apply for AR but, given these examples, I am doubtful that the decision will be overturned (personal opinion). No harm in trying though!

regards

Rachna Shah
Newly Registered

Post by Rachna Shah » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:42 pm

Thank you everyone for your inputs and guidance. I think I would still go for AR as there is no harm trying and will keep my fingers crossed. Will update this group about the AR result for others benefit.

giriram
Newly Registered

Post by giriram » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi Rachna,
Can you tell me what happened to your AR? I am stuck in the same situation :( Visa rejected because of bank logo missing in just _one_ month's statement.

arvindamg
Newly Registered

Post by arvindamg » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi Rachna,

Could you please tell me what was the outcome of your administrative review?
Many Thanks...

mrnngmist
Newly Registered

@giriram

Post by mrnngmist » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:07 am

The only option you have if your administrative review fails and you still wish to proceed with your application, is to lodge a judicial review aplication in the High Court in UK. It can be done only through a law firm in UK and is expensive also.