ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Nationality but Indian Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

victor_dsz
Newly Registered

British Nationality but Indian Passport

Post by victor_dsz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:56 am

Hello,

I'm an Indian national and my British Nationality ceremony is scheduled for this Saturday when I hope to get my certificate.

However, I work overseas these days and the contract will continue for another 6 months or so, until which time I'm not in the UK for more than a week at a time (I work 4 weeks overseas and then return for a max of 1 week).

Since I need to submit my current passport with the British passport application, I believe I need to wait another 6 months until the contract runs out before I can apply. I understand first time applicants do not have access to instant service / in-person applications.

The question to the forum is: Is it okay to continue travelling on the Indian passport even after my nationality ceremony? - My Indian passport has ILR stamped in it.

What are the drawbacks of doing that? If I continue travelling on the Indian passport, will it cause issues when applying for the British passport or during the Indian OCI application?

I'm in quite a fix here - I cannot take leave of more than a week at a time and I cannot postpone my ceremony either - I just want to get it done with.

Any advice will be very useful.

Thanks in advance.

Victor.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: British Nationality but Indian Passport

Post by geriatrix » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:02 pm

victor_dsz wrote: Is it okay to continue travelling on the Indian passport even after my nationality ceremony? - My Indian passport has ILR stamped in it.

What are the drawbacks of doing that? .
The one drawback is that it is illegal to do so. The day you acquire British citizenship you cease to be an Indian citizen and therefore using Indian passport for international travel is, technically, unlawful. Simple!

See also renunciation

regards

newlybritish
Newly Registered

Post by newlybritish » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:54 am

You'll have 3months grace period during which you can use indian pasport to travel.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:11 pm

newlybritish wrote:You'll have 3months grace period during which you can use indian pasport to travel.
Source?

1963British

Post by 1963British » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:16 pm

Technically, you can apply for a British Passport by using Solicitor authenticated true copies.

You will need to use a postal application because check and send will not have a clue as to what you are talking about. You could try but you might not get anywhere with them as they are used to basic applications that fit the exact mold.

The citation is in IPS Policy Guidance dated 19 January 2010.

Original documents are required for security purposes for all applications. Photocopies, digitised, facsimile, and Email copies of original documents are easier to alter and are not acceptable unless authenticated by a solicitor or Commissioner of Oaths as true copies.
It would also be best if you also provided a cover letter stating why you are sending solicitor copies and cite the IPS Guidance indicated above.

Just remember that it will add quite a bit of cost as solicitor copies seem to be rather expensive!!

The Post Office does have a Document Certification service but since the IPS Guidance does not specify that, it may get rejected.

http://www.ips.gov.uk/cps/files/ips/liv ... UBLISH.pdf