ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice needed!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bossanovaboy

Advice needed!

Post by bossanovaboy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:46 am

Just looking for more advice. Just to summarize my situation,I am a British citizen and my fiancé is Cuban and here on a family visit visa until Jan 2011, she will be 20 by then.

We want to get married and I know the only possible way would be the Anglican church way or to possibly move to an eu country? Would she be able to fly direct from England?

What if she overstayed and when she becomes 21 we get married then? Just looking for ways to start our lives here instead of going back and forth to and from Cuba.

What if we have a child together? Nothing like this has been planned yet but what if?

Anyway thanks for any advice

lkpone

Re: Advice needed!

Post by lkpone » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:00 pm

bossanovaboy wrote:What if we have a child together? Nothing like this has been planned yet but what if?
I'm not sure anybody on this board is willing to be an advocate for having children in order to stay in this country, so this is a decision for you as a couple - don't think anybody can give you 'advice' on this.
bossanovaboy wrote:What if she overstayed and when she becomes 21 we get married then? Just looking for ways to start our lives here instead of going back and forth to and from Cuba.
Before you'd be able to get married in this country, she'd have to apply for a Certificate of Approval - the HO presumably, at that stage, will realise she's overstayed and refuse the COA.

So I'd say it's a no-go, but wait for expert opinion.

Lindsay :wink:

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:58 pm

The COA requirement for approval to marry is due to be withdrawn...however, marriage won't give the legal right to remain in the UK...neither will the birth of a baby. You can marry her before she reaches the age of 21, but you won't be able to apply for a spouse visa under UK immigration regulations.
If you live in another EU state and work or study there for a minimum of 6 months, you could apply for her to return with you under EU/EEA regulations and her age won't count against you.