ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help - Indian passport with 20 year validity (with Tier-1)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

need_a_tier1

Help - Indian passport with 20 year validity (with Tier-1)

Post by need_a_tier1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:54 pm

Sorry, could not fit more than certain number of characters in the title box.

I have an Indian passport with 20 year validity and my Tier-1 visa is stamped (issued) on this passport. Tier-1 is valid until 2011.

I applied for Schengen business visa recently and my application was not accepted by the embassy as most schengen states have a new rule that the passport sould have have been issued more than 10 years ago:
"Passport or official travel document recognized by the Schengen countries. The document may not be issued more the 10 years ago, needs to have a validity that exceeds your full intended stay by at least 3 months and should have at least 2 blank pages. "
I have been advised to get a 'New' passport if I need the schengen business visa. As my trip is important, my employers are asking me to get a new passport.

I have a few questions about getting a new passport and the Tier-1 on my existing passport . I need to know that:

- If I get a new passport will this have a completely different passport number than my existing passport?
- Will the High Commission cancel my existing passport if they issues a new one. In that case what will happen to the Tier-1 visa on this passport?
- Will there be a requirement to get the Tier-1 transferred to the 'new' passport.
- Will there be a requirement of informing UKBA about this change (new passport issue) along with the new passport number?
- Can there be any unexpected problems/issues at the immigration desks at Heathrow if I enter the UK with both my new & old passports and with the Tier-1 visa on my oldpassport.
- I also have a US business visa on my existing passport which is still valid. Will I need to transfer that to my new passport or inform the USA embassy.

Some of these questions are not relevant to this sub-forum but some other ones are (related to Tier-1). I believe its better to ask these in one single post rather than multiple posts on two sub-forums.

And, finally does some one know that how much time Indian high commission might take to issue the new passport.

Thanks..

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:44 pm

1. Yes.
2. Yes. Tier 1 visa will remain valid.
3. No.
4. No.
5. No.
6. No.

Post queries regarding (Indian) passport re-issue in this forum.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Idea

Post by Idea » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:46 pm

short answer is if you get a new passport it will be a new number - the tier-1 will still be valid only you'll need to have the old passport with the visa stamping when you travel to prove you have a valid visa.

for schengen visa , the visa would be stamped in the new one, while you may have to submitt both the passports...to prove your uk residency status

*FC*
Member of Standing

Re: Help - Indian passport with 20 year validity (with Tier-

Post by *FC* » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 am

need_a_tier1 wrote: - If I get a new passport will this have a completely different passport number than my existing passport?
- Will the High Commission cancel my existing passport if they issues a new one. In that case what will happen to the Tier-1 visa on this passport?
- Will there be a requirement to get the Tier-1 transferred to the 'new' passport.
- Will there be a requirement of informing UKBA about this change (new passport issue) along with the new passport number?
- Can there be any unexpected problems/issues at the immigration desks at Heathrow if I enter the UK with both my new & old passports and with the Tier-1 visa on my oldpassport.
- I also have a US business visa on my existing passport which is still valid. Will I need to transfer that to my new passport or inform the USA embassy.

Some of these questions are not relevant to this sub-forum but some other ones are (related to Tier-1). I believe its better to ask these in one single post rather than multiple posts on two sub-forums.

And, finally does some one know that how much time Indian high commission might take to issue the new passport.

Thanks..
I was in the SAME scenario a few months ago.

I went around to the Birmingham INdian consulate and explained them my situation for which they re-issued me a new passport.

- If I get a new passport will this have a completely different passport number than my existing passport? Yes, it will have a different number.
- Will the High Commission cancel my existing passport if they issues a new one. In that case what will happen to the Tier-1 visa on this passport? Yes they will cancel the existing passport. However, any Visa on that passport that still has a validity period into the future will be VALID. You have to carry both your passports together.
- Will there be a requirement to get the Tier-1 transferred to the 'new' passport. No, you don't have to do it. You can if you want to spend some money though.
- Will there be a requirement of informing UKBA about this change (new passport issue) along with the new passport number? No, you don't have to inform them.
- Can there be any unexpected problems/issues at the immigration desks at Heathrow if I enter the UK with both my new & old passports and with the Tier-1 visa on my oldpassport. Definitely not. I travelled to France,. Italy with both my passports and never had any issues.
- I also have a US business visa on my existing passport which is still valid. Will I need to transfer that to my new passport or inform the USA embassy. No, you don't have to inform anyone about it. Just carry both your passports and you will be fine.

FC

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:27 pm

OP, as suggested above, queries regarding Indian passport to be posted in the relevant forum.

regards