ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit for Non-resident???

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

asif_rn
Newly Registered

Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit for Non-resident???

Post by asif_rn » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:01 pm

Hello,

I’ve been trying to collect information for the past several weeks on this topic and every site recommends or forwards me to some other department or agency to contact.

I need information regarding Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit. I’m a non-resident and relocated to UK under HSMP almost two years ago. My wife just recently gave birth to our second child. I wrote to several departments and agencies regarding Child Benefits and Child Tax Credit claims but learnt that since I have ‘no recourse to public fund’ stamped on my passport therefore I cannot claim for these credits/benefits.

It will take me next three years to apply for permanent residency and I’m paying income tax and NI contribution every month which are more than £700 … I need to know what benefits I can claim for my family after paying that much tax? Or is there any benefit I can possibly claim to support my family as a non-resident?

It’s very disappointing to experience that the government here is keen to squeeze you for money even if you have a family to feed … as a non-resident I’ll be paying tax for five years for nothing and only after then I can think of applying for any credit!!

Thanks,
Asif

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:55 pm

I know it seems unfair but it was clearly stated in the guidance notes when we applied for HSMP taht we will not be able to claim public funds, we were also informed that they were going to start treating child tax credit as public funds. So no surprise there. Anyway I understand you can take advantage of childcare vouchers if your company offers them, John the moderater may be able to tell you more about this.
'In everything give thanks'

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:47 pm

Primarily, the HSMP visa is issued by the Home Office to create a tax paying section of the population who cannot claim any benefits and this section will offset the huge local population as well as asylum seekers who enjoy numerous benefits like council housing, child benefit, unemployment allowance etc. It is frustrating especially for those HSMP holders who have immigrated with spouse and kids, to see that we are supposed to pay through our taxes for the free benefits of others while we cannot avail of any benefit until now maybe 5 years. I have a doubt that by the time the HSMP holders reach the ILR stage, the Home Office might create a special category of ILR holders without recourse to public funds.

asif_rn
Newly Registered

Post by asif_rn » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:22 pm

Rog wrote:Primarily, the HSMP visa is issued by the Home Office to create a tax paying section of the population who cannot claim any benefits and this section will offset the huge local population as well as asylum seekers who enjoy numerous benefits like council housing, child benefit, unemployment allowance etc. It is frustrating especially for those HSMP holders who have immigrated with spouse and kids, to see that we are supposed to pay through our taxes for the free benefits of others while we cannot avail of any benefit until now maybe 5 years. I have a doubt that by the time the HSMP holders reach the ILR stage, the Home Office might create a special category of ILR holders without recourse to public funds.
I completely agree with you Rog. They already have increased the limit from four to five years for ILR … there will be no surprise in case they now create a special category for ILR without recourse to public funds.

OFCHARITY I’m not interested in public funds my interest is based on the amount I pay under income tax. I want to have some benefits in that regard. I'm sure no body is fond of paying tax just for the sake of it!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:39 pm

John the moderater may be able to tell you more about this.
Indeed he could but what John is not going to do is to respond to exactly the same question in two different forums! So John is not going to respond to asif_rn, or is than ARN, here.
Rog wrote:It is frustrating especially for those HSMP holders who have immigrated with spouse and kids, to see that we are supposed to pay through our taxes for the free benefits of others while we cannot avail of any benefit until now maybe 5 years. I have a doubt that by the time the HSMP holders reach the ILR stage, the Home Office might create a special category of ILR holders without recourse to public funds.
Taxes pay for all sorts of things and not just benefits within the definition of Public Funds. Who do you think pays for the roads, the NHS hospitals, schools, the police, even emptying the bins? The police and other local services, that comes out of Council Tax? Yes but the truth is that 75% of local authority expenditure comes out of central taxation, so without payment from central government .... your taxes .... Council Tax would be four times as high!
the Home Office might create a special category of ILR holders without recourse to public funds
Oh come on! There is no evidence at all that such a category will ever be invented. Please stop making suggestions like this.
John

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:50 pm

the Home Office might create a special category of ILR holders without recourse to public funds
I agree with John. Thats not an option for the HO. Getting an ILR means that you have made the UK your home in the long term. You become effectively a permenant resident in the country and therefore are entitled to the same benefits that any other resident has (citizen or not).

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:16 am

John wrote: Taxes pay for all sorts of things and not just benefits within the definition of Public Funds. Who do you think pays for the roads, the NHS hospitals, schools, the police, even emptying the bins? The police and other local services, that comes out of Council Tax? Yes but the truth is that 75% of local authority expenditure comes out of central taxation, so without payment from central government .... your taxes .... Council Tax would be four times as high!
Also ask yourself, how many benefits did you get when you were paying tax back in your home country...

vivekR

taxes and ILR

Post by vivekR » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:20 pm

Olisun,

While I agree partly to what you say... the answer to your question is partly in this one... why are you here then?

If there is something wrongly practised by one, it does not make a wrong on the other side a right. If we talk of returns on our taxes, then it is because it our right and this is how it was set up and that was its purpose. If we do not stand up for it and take it then I suppose the next thing we will have is... as rightly mentioned... ILR without recourse to any funds.

Maybe I do not need it now or do not need it later, but that is assuming every thing is life is always as we planned.... !!

VR

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: taxes and ILR

Post by olisun » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:56 pm

vivekR wrote: If we do not stand up for it and take it then I suppose the next thing we will have is... as rightly mentioned... ILR without recourse to any funds.
I didn't quite understand this part

PASS

Post by PASS » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:21 pm

Moderators,

Could you please close this topic!

Everyone knows before entering this country that they have to pay tax and NI without recourse to public fund when they are under immigration control.

The New topic comes out of this discussion is: IRL without recourse to public fund.

Well, we don't want to give bullets to shoot ourselves by gives this Rubbish suggesstion and Idea.

PLEASE PLEASE Close this topic.

Already most of WP/HSMPs are frustrated with 5 years rule.

PLEASE PLEASE CLOSE this therad immediate effect.

Many thanks
PASS