ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK job hunting

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jonathan1979
Newly Registered

UK job hunting

Post by jonathan1979 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:43 am

How easy or difficult it is with the market ? Can someone elicit your views?

I do not belong to this country, and am looking for Proj. Mgmt opportunities in IT. Open to anywhere in the Uk.

Would appreciate any views / comments.

Cheers
Jon

wunder
Member of Standing

Re: UK job hunting

Post by wunder » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:00 pm

jonathan1979 wrote:How easy or difficult it is with the market ?
IT jobs market is overcrowded and very difficult at the moment - and it will only get worse in the next 1-2 years.

A friend who works in recruitment agency says that vacancies for non-specialized roles like analysts or PMs tend to attract insane amounts of CVs (like 500 or so) - with a lot of them being clearly overqualified for the role. I'd imagine that now, with public sector cuts, it will be even worse.
jonathan1979 wrote:I do not belong to this country
What do you mean by that?

nks

Post by nks » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:25 pm

wunder wrote:non-specialized roles like analysts or PMs
I like this line :)

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:21 pm

nks wrote:
wunder wrote:non-specialized roles like analysts or PMs
I like this line :)
aah, the folly of our times - I once read somewhere there is a stiff competition between rates meant for House Keepers and the IT community - that's how many of us are there today pecking away at anything we can get!!!!

KP

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Well, I actually meant it as "people who do not specialize in some specific area of technology" - generalists, who tend to be paid less. But yeah, if it goes like that for a couple more year - I fear that IT will be synonymous with minimal wage.

swati

Business development jobs

Post by swati » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:25 am

How difficult it is to find jobs in Business Development in IT/Engg Services with an experience of 6 yrs?

Any references will be helpful.

kenfrapin

Re: Business development jobs

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:30 am

swati wrote:How difficult it is to find jobs in Business Development in IT/Engg Services with an experience of 6 yrs?

Any references will be helpful.
Its not an easy market to penetrate but then its Sales and experience sure will count. That said, the IT Bus Dev area is usually dominated by locals as language and an idea of culture and habits plays some role somewhere in all this.
It does not pay a lot too - you usually see a team headed by some Senior dude and a team filled with young grads who are really enthusiastic and ready to work hours and hours to develop an idea or seal a deal.

Tough area but if you have the skills, especially communication and bright ideas then its not impossible. Most of us on this forum are IT laborers so cant help much :-)

KP