ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residency in another country on the passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

soulfullness

Permanent residency in another country on the passport

Post by soulfullness » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi All

I have a query on the permanent residency on my passport other than UK.
How it will affect my Naturalization?

What I have to fill for the one month absence from UK for that purpose?
Can you advise on this .

I did go for that trip as those days UK immigration rules were changing frequently.
Regards

JulesN19

Post by JulesN19 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:09 pm

The mere absence from the UK for a month is not in and of itself problematic, provided that it did not cause you to have spent more than 90 days in the past year or 450 days in the past five years (or, if you are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, 270 days in the past three years).

With that said, the presence of a permanent residence visa could be somewhat problematic if you are not married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen. This is because someone who is not the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen is required to show that:
his intentions are such that, in the event of a certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen being granted to him, his home or (if he has more than one) his principal home will be in the United Kingdom
The Home Office will look at all pages of your passport with stamps or visas. It may well notice your permanent residence visa for another country.

Do you intend to remain in the UK permanently and keep your principal home here? If so, then you may want to explain that your ties to the UK are much stronger than your ties to the other country and that your residence rights in that country are not for the purpose of ceasing to keep the UK as your principal home.

You should consult the UK Border Agency guidance on the future intentions requirement.

soulfullness

Post by soulfullness » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi Jules N19
Thanks of information I have no idea at all to go to other country for settlement but as the immigration rules were changing those days I thought I may not get my permanent residency in UK though I got it, I decided to go there as alternative in case something goes wrong with ILR but I am established with my own house here in UK now with my family and all the children studying here . My problem is what to mention in AN form for going to that country ? If I mention in the form for immigration purpose it will be a minus point. If I say for holidays they may not accept it? Any idea on this by anyone
regards

jamesinderby
Newly Registered

Post by jamesinderby » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:41 pm

soulfullness wrote:Hi Jules N19
Thanks of information I have no idea at all to go to other country for settlement but as the immigration rules were changing those days I thought I may not get my permanent residency in UK though I got it, I decided to go there as alternative in case something goes wrong with ILR but I am established with my own house here in UK now with my family and all the children studying here . My problem is what to mention in AN form for going to that country ? If I mention in the form for immigration purpose it will be a minus point. If I say for holidays they may not accept it? Any idea on this by anyone
regards
I have the same question. Can anybody help?
Thanks in advance!
James

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:26 pm

May I ask how you obtain permanent residence in another country by living all these years in the UK and going to that country for a month or so?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Backer wrote:May I ask how you obtain permanent residence in another country by living all these years in the UK and going to that country for a month or so?
Not every country requires you to be living or to have lived in the country to acquire permanent residency. e.g. - Canada

regards

soulfullness

Post by soulfullness » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:03 am

Hi All

I applied even before coming to UK They took such a long time to process and that happened to be when I am in UK for more than 3 years after landing but before my ILR. I had no other chice but to take that at least to go there as a holiday.

Regards

melo75

Post by melo75 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:06 pm

I had a permenant residency of another country that I obtained AFTER coming to live in the UK (although I applied for it before relocating to the UK) and my Citizenship application went smoothly with no problems.

As a sanity check...your ILR (or PR) is already approved with the PR of the other country on your passport...so why worry? Relax.
M
jamesinderby wrote:
regards
Thanks in advance!
James

jamesinderby
Newly Registered

Post by jamesinderby » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks Melo!
melo75 wrote:I had a permenant residency of another country that I obtained AFTER coming to live in the UK (although I applied for it before relocating to the UK) and my Citizenship application went smoothly with no problems.

As a sanity check...your ILR (or PR) is already approved with the PR of the other country on your passport...so why worry? Relax.
M
jamesinderby wrote:
regards
Thanks in advance!
James

blue.olive

Post by blue.olive » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:16 am

Hi julesN19
thank you sharing such detailed information.
what can be effect on the person who go for PR of another country after she got her British passport few months ago

olive
JulesN19 wrote:The mere absence from the UK for a month is not in and of itself problematic, provided that it did not cause you to have spent more than 90 days in the past year or 450 days in the past five years (or, if you are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, 270 days in the past three years).

With that said, the presence of a permanent residence visa could be somewhat problematic if you are not married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen. This is because someone who is not the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen is required to show that:
his intentions are such that, in the event of a certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen being granted to him, his home or (if he has more than one) his principal home will be in the United Kingdom
The Home Office will look at all pages of your passport with stamps or visas. It may well notice your permanent residence visa for another country.

Do you intend to remain in the UK permanently and keep your principal home here? If so, then you may want to explain that your ties to the UK are much stronger than your ties to the other country and that your residence rights in that country are not for the purpose of ceasing to keep the UK as your principal home.

You should consult the UK Border Agency guidance on the future intentions requirement.

soulfullness

Post by soulfullness » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:28 pm

Hi Melo

What did you write for the absent days that you taken for immigration purpose in AN form? Can you give a light on this please.