ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Evidence for Unmarried Partner Question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BKLondon
Newly Registered

Evidence for Unmarried Partner Question

Post by BKLondon » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:54 pm

There's been loads of really helpful information on this board. I thought I'd post another question about evidence for unmarried partners visa applications, as I'm still not sure I'd have enough and my boyfriend and I would seriously think about getting married if it seems like the safest bet to ensure we could stay together here.

We've lived together in the UK for about two and a half years. We have our first tenancy agreement in our names (covering a year), and I have bank statements, telephone, pay slips and council bills in my name for pretty much every month over the two years. My partner, however, only has about five bills (three from the first year, two from the second), as he has always had his bank statements and other correspondence sent to his parents. We'll likely get a joint bank account in the next few weeks, but would only get statements for 1-2 months before I have to apply for my visa.

Given that all the majority of our correspondence, except our first tenancy agreement and maybe two bank account statements, are in our individual names and that my boyfriend has a limited number of official mail addressed to him, do you think this would be enough? It does cover the two years, but I'm afraid they'll think it looks a bit thin. Any help or advice based on previous experience would be much appreciated!

Tra8erse
Newly Registered

Post by Tra8erse » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:43 am

I had very little correspondence in my partner's name for the first year - only an electricity bill. The caseworker asked if we had anything else, we said we did not and this was it. We had quite a lot for the second year though.

Perhaps you have other correspondence in his name that you can take - personal letters with dated envelopes, subscriptions, Amazon delivery receipts?

Remember they only really need six items so if you have a good mix overall you will probably be fine.

BKLondon
Newly Registered

Post by BKLondon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:59 am

Thanks for your advice and sharing your experience! I think all the changes in the UK immigration process over the past few months have just made me over-anxious about having my application refused.

Tra8erse
Newly Registered

Post by Tra8erse » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:46 pm

I know exactly how you are feeling. But just prepare as best as you can, try to cover all bases and you will see that you won't need three quarters of your paperwork. :)

I can strongly recommend applying in person if you have half the chance - it will save you precious time and nerves.