ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU1 Application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Delaine

EU1 Application

Post by Delaine » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:14 am

Hi all, am (finally!) moving to Ireland 1st week in December. Have a couple of queries if theyve already been answered elsewhere on site, apologies - have been trawling thru but couldnt find. I am getting phased re. 1st things to sort on arrival in Dublin. Will arrive with my non-EU spouse (he isnt a visa national for INIS purposes). Main things are

(1) I need to arrange accommmodaton - I am in UK now and dont know if its best to try to arrange from here (dubious about paying deposit for unseen accommodation)or, just book into a hotel maybe for couple of weeks and look around when we are there, in the hope that it might be easy/quick to find reasonably priced accommodation.

(2) re. PPS number can we apply as soon as we arrive in Dublin? Do they need proof of address etc before issuing? Just thinking about this as we wont have permanent address or bank account in Ireland immediately.

I know my husband has to get stamp in his passport - does he get this when we apply for PPS? or, do we both have to send our passports to EU Treaty Rights section before any stamp can be placed in passport? Concerned re. them holding onto my passport for weeks as I need to come back to UK for a weekend before Christmas. I have other queries but will leave it at that for now, grateful for all replies thanks.

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:14 pm

1. I would say book into a hotel and look around while you are here as some places are not as they seem. Check http://www.daft.ie for places to rent, great site and you can use an advanced search to make sure it only brings up places with all the things you want. Maybe make a list of places you want to see and arrange viewings before you come here, so that you can find somewhere quick enough, less time spent in a hotel the better (for your pocket ;) )

2. You need proof of address to apply for a pps number but if you are living with someone or know anyone in Ireland, you could get them to write you a letter saying that you are living with them and give you one of their utility bills to prove their address.
If you are not Irish, you will need to produce the following documents:

Your passport or national identity card
Or

Your Immigration Card
And

Evidence of your address, such as a household bill (electricity, telephone, gas, etc.) in your name.
3. You will have to send your passports and supporting documents into the EU Treaty Rights section to get the temporary stamp 4. If you have ticked all the boxes with regards to supporting documents, then your documents and passports should be returned to you within 3 weeks.

See EU Treaty Rights FAQ
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

Delaine

Post by Delaine » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi Monique,

Thanks for reply. Thats a good idea re. arranging viewings before our arrival. I know we have to register with Garda on arrival - does the registering not give my spouse permission to work, or must he do the EU1 and wait for return of documents before he can work? Only asking as, I'd thought we had 3 months to decide whether we wanted to go ahead and do EU1. So - does this mean he can't work at all until we make the EU1 application?

The sooner he can work (if there is work to be had, its all doom & gloom news about Ireland over here at present), the better for my pocket!!
Monifé wrote:1. I would say book into a hotel and look around while you are here as some places are not as they seem. Check http://www.daft.ie for places to rent, great site and you can use an advanced search to make sure it only brings up places with all the things you want. Maybe make a list of places you want to see and arrange viewings before you come here, so that you can find somewhere quick enough, less time spent in a hotel the better (for your pocket ;) )

2. You need proof of address to apply for a pps number but if you are living with someone or know anyone in Ireland, you could get them to write you a letter saying that you are living with them and give you one of their utility bills to prove their address.
If you are not Irish, you will need to produce the following documents:

Your passport or national identity card
Or

Your Immigration Card
And

Evidence of your address, such as a household bill (electricity, telephone, gas, etc.) in your name.
3. You will have to send your passports and supporting documents into the EU Treaty Rights section to get the temporary stamp 4. If you have ticked all the boxes with regards to supporting documents, then your documents and passports should be returned to you within 3 weeks.

See EU Treaty Rights FAQ

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:00 pm

I am not too sure about getting a stamp 4 when registering with guards. From what I have heard from other users on this forum, they have gone to register with the guards to be then told to apply for EU1.

I think only spouse of Irish citizen gets stamp 4 on first registration with guards (depending on legal status).

I suppose you havent long to wait and find out or perhaps someone else more knowlegable will comment.
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton