ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for ILR after 14 years continous stay in UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Zebrudaya

Application for ILR after 14 years continous stay in UK

Post by Zebrudaya » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:25 am

Dear colleagues

Please I need your advice. I want to apply for ILR when I complete 14 years but I have some problems. My first passport bearing the stamps that clearly proved when I legally entered UK on a visit visa was lost by my solicitor who has since stopped practising. I however have photostat copies of the relevant pages. I plan to get a notary to testify that the photostat copies are genuine and also to attach my own letter explaining why I couldn`t forward the passport etc.

I am also preparing to take the "Life in the UK test" and also I have never left the UK shores since I entered it legally. I think also that I have papers to show continued stay in UK for the 14 years when I eventually qualify.

Good people, my questions are these:(1) What are the documents that I am expected to submit. (2) If I use a solicitor, will it expedite things and if so, what is the average cost for such services in the UK.
(3) If all the required documents are complete, how long does it take to get ILR.
(4) As I am highly skilled as well, can it give me an advantage in getting a "yes" answer ( can easily maintain myself and also be of use to UK in general ).
(5) In the event of a refusal by Home Office, Can my solicitor appeal?

Please I shall welcome pieces of advice from our experienced members as I am new to this helpful site.

Thank you.

zebrudaya

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:37 am

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Don't bother getting a notary to attest the copies, it is meaningless. They cannot say whether it is a copy of something genuine or not, never having seen the original.

Read the link above.

How far away are you from 14 years?

Zebrudaya

Re: Application for ILR after 14 years etc.

Post by Zebrudaya » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:29 am

Dear sushdmehta and PaperPusher

Thank you for your replies. I have about 2 years to go. If the officials are not so happy with the passport photostat copies, I plan to draw their attention to the fact that its number and other data were mentioned somewhere in my new passport and also, that if they check with their own data from Heathrow airport through which I came in, they would find that the information in both tally etc. I hope that would put the matter to bed.

However, I hear that there is a plan to remove the 10 and 14 year ILR soon. If this is true, will it be replaced with something else? Please experienced members, kindly allay our fears with more information.

Thank you.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Application for ILR after 14 years etc.

Post by geriatrix » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:54 am

Zebrudaya wrote:However, I hear that there is a plan to remove the 10 and 14 year ILR soon.
Rumours .. until announced by the govt. / UKBA.

regards