ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

bringing 10-year-old son to the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Juliano
Newly Registered

bringing 10-year-old son to the UK

Post by Juliano » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi there

A friend of mine is here on a two-year spouse visa. She has a ten-year-old son in Brazil. She wants to apply for the boy to come and live with her and her husband here in the UK.

My friend was never married to the boy's father. She got pregnant when she was about 18 years old, and lived with the boy's father (on and off) for about two years. During that time the father never wanted/decided to recognise the boy as his son so there is no father in the boy's birth certificate. Neither my friend nor the boy has had any contact with the man in the last 7 years or so. He never recognised the boy as his son, and hasn't had any participation in the boy's upbringing.

In Brazil it is very common for single women to register a child by themselves, i.e. as having no father, when the man doesn't want to recognise fatherhood. This makes the mother solely responsible for the child (in the eyes of the law).

Now, my friend wants to make an application to bring her son to the UK. Does the biological father need to be involved in the application? I mean, does she need to seek his consent? 'The biological father' hasnt had any contact with the child for about 7 years, and he has never wanted to recognise the boy as his son.

My friend only lived with the guy for about two years and then left him because he used to beat her up. She hasn't seen him for at least 7 years.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards

J

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:06 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.