ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS STATUS -HSMP

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

soni190972
Newly Registered

NHS STATUS -HSMP

Post by soni190972 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi
i have a query about NHS rules for pregnant woman on HSMP.

I came to UK in June 2005 on dependent visa. My husband had student visa till 31st March 2006. I applied for HSMP in november and got approval. We went back home for EC in December 2005 and my husband got dependent visa this time. I was pregnant meantime and due date was 25 March 2006. We came back in January 2006 and my husband started work while I was not working. Baby is born on 20th March and im still not working. I have appointment with Hospital and they asked me to show the proof that im entitled for free treatment. What can i show? im in UK now for nearly a year..so im not visitor ? or i am??
Do i have to pay because i was not working but i was main applicant ? will they classify me as visitor or what? What are rules for woman who are pregnant in HSMP (MAIN APPLICANT).

PLEASE HELP :(

Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:46 pm

I have appointment with Hospital and they asked me to show the proof that im entitled for free treatment. What can i show?
The NHS is of course rather short of money so it should be no surprise that these days they are checking up on whether people are entitled or not.

However as an HSMP holder you are entitled, as are your family. How to prove that entitlement? Take your passport complete with its EC. You could also take your HSMP approval letter just to show why you were able to get the EC.

Just don't mention that you are not yet working on your HSMP. That fact is not relevant to your entitlement to use the NHS.
John

alisondc

Post by alisondc » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:27 pm

On the topic of NHS, i've read that you need a NI number, but that you must be working to obtain one of these.

If i'm getting this correct, I must first get job, then get NI number, then am able to use NHS?

Also, has anyone had any experiences with existing medications? I'm wondering if i should continue my American health insurance for a while during the transition?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:39 pm

On the topic of NHS, i've read that you need a NI number
I don't know where you read that but it is simply not true. Many millions of people who don't have a NI number are entitled to use the NHS! Most of them are children ... but the same applies to adults who are entitled who don't have a NI number.

Whether someone who is in the UK is entitled to use the NHS depends upon their immigration status. So anyone in the UK on a visitor visa is certainly not entitled to use the full range of NHS facilities for free. As said above, whether someone does or does not have a NI number is not part of the determination.
John

ShoaibJaved

Post by ShoaibJaved » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:14 pm

In my case me and my wife registered just three months before the baby was due, the local surgery had no trouble registering us but after a few days we received a call from the hospital having same financial concerns and I told them that I am not a visitor and here on an immigrant visa and working full time and 'paying tax' to UK government and this satisfied them.
One of my friend also had to go through the same scenario except that at the time of registering with NHS he had only one months left on his and his spouse's HSMP visa. He produced his employement documents and his residential contract and the problem was solved.
In both cases the NI number was never mentioned nor was the question of principal applicant raised.
My suggestion: Take documentation showing that you are here for a long term and you belong to a tax paying house hold.

sheeda
Newly Registered

Post by sheeda » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:50 pm

I was asked to email a scanned copy of my son's passport where visa was stamped.

soni190972
Newly Registered

Hsmp NHS QUERY

Post by soni190972 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:12 pm

Thanks everyone !

I went with our passports today and sorted it all. You need to have visa over 6 months.... i suppose. They asked me about how long i have visa for..thats it n they said i wont need to see them again.

Thanks again