ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1/spouse visa with police caution/ criminal conviction

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lilly10
Newly Registered

Tier 1/spouse visa with police caution/ criminal conviction

Post by Lilly10 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Presently on post study work visa expiring in a years time.

May or may no get a police caution.

If I do, would I be able to get a tier 2 sponsor visa or tier of any kind?

I know if the case is a conviction rather than caution chances are nil, is that right?

If I were to marry my bf before post study work permit expires, would a police caution prevent me from getting spouse visa?

I know that can be for upto 2 -3 yrs before ILR.

What are the chances?

Thanks

Lilly10
Newly Registered

Post by Lilly10 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:55 pm

Help anyone please??

nksg

Post by nksg » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:24 pm

Can you please provide some more details on your case.. as what this police caution is about??

is the court involved?

for some offences like driving convictions do not impact your application as long as you declare it.. i am sure there should be more on the list.
Lilly10 wrote:Help anyone please??

Lilly10
Newly Registered

Post by Lilly10 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:59 pm

I am released on bail, it was for something silly, I've never been in trouble nor will I ever be, sh*t happens :-( I'm incredibly upset I dno what they'll decide in the months to come, give me a police caution which isn't a conviction or take it to court....

I have got a good job and worked all my life for this but I think I lost my chances to apply for tier 1 or 2 as I was planning to cos they refuse you if you've been arrested and / or charged.

How does this affect the spouse visa and ILR tho?

beecharmer1800bc

Post by beecharmer1800bc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:08 pm

nksg wrote:Can you please provide some more details on your case.. as what this police caution is about??

is the court involved?

for some offences like driving convictions do not impact your application as long as you declare it.. i am sure there should be more on the list.
Lilly10 wrote:Help anyone please??
If you want forum members to help you, then you'd be dpoing yourself a massive favour by giving more details on the issue.
No point just going round in circles.

What was the nature of the offence you were arrested for? Will it go to court etc? That you have a good job or you've never committed a crime before has no bearing here.

I was arrested for assualt and locked up for 4 days(it was a Friday); appeared in court 3 times,but had the case quashed because the key prosecution witnesses changed their testimonies in court. In the midst of all this, I applied for my tier 1 and got my visa- no questions asked.

So what did you do?
Don't waste your time working hard-work smart

Lilly10
Newly Registered

Post by Lilly10 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:37 am

Please refer to my last post on his link for more details

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=59989

I've been released on bail and have to return to police station, no idea how it's gonna go from there.

As I'm very confused right now just wanted to ask whether one would ever have a chance to successfully apply for a tier visa having received a caution or been charged cos that's most probably what's going to happen to me.....

I believe I have no chance whatsoever from what I've heard.

I was wondering about spouse visas as for them I thought wouldn't matter as much...once you get married, you do, and I think they cannot refuse
you to live with your partner once justice is done - fines been paid or whatever....unless the crime committed is so serious you're a real threat to the British society....pffft

nksg

Post by nksg » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:00 pm

Well if that is the case, i think you might have to go to the court.

Just search the forum as i have seen people convicted of shoplifting got away with their Visa/extentions etc.

Make sure you declare it on the application form with the reason (if u are convicted.)

All the best.

Lilly10
Newly Registered

Post by Lilly10 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:39 pm

I actually think it is stated that if you have a conviction you're refused on the spot and there's no way you could apply.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Lilly10
Newly Registered

police caution help???

Post by Lilly10 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:12 pm

As it turns out, I will only be getting a CAUTION and no criminal conviction. I know it is still not to be taken lightly but at least it's not as bad as a conviction?

Anyways, when I am to apply for a visa again in a years time, no matter what type it is, I will state NO to criminal convictions in the form.

As there is still a police record and such...I am still dreading the ''unwritten rules''...as in when I apply for a visa could I still be rejected on the basis of 'bad character' or something eventhough I have no conviction? Will this ruin it all for me so I should be prepared for the worst?

Anyone else got a UK visa without any problem whilst having a caution?

Thanks

nksg

Re: police caution help???

Post by nksg » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:20 pm

I know some one who had shop lifting caution and got ILR successfully... All the best!!
Lilly10 wrote:As it turns out, I will only be getting a CAUTION and no criminal conviction. I know it is still not to be taken lightly but at least it's not as bad as a conviction?

Anyways, when I am to apply for a visa again in a years time, no matter what type it is, I will state NO to criminal convictions in the form.

As there is still a police record and such...I am still dreading the ''unwritten rules''...as in when I apply for a visa could I still be rejected on the basis of 'bad character' or something eventhough I have no conviction? Will this ruin it all for me so I should be prepared for the worst?

Anyone else got a UK visa without any problem whilst having a caution?

Thanks

Lilly10
Newly Registered

Post by Lilly10 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:18 pm

Anybody else?

Do you think a simple caution will jeopardise my chances for getting any visas in the future?

Have you had or heard of similar experiences yourselves?

Thanks

Lilly10
Newly Registered

Post by Lilly10 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:14 am

Lilly10 wrote:Anybody else?

Do you think a simple caution will jeopardise my chances for getting any visas in the future?

Have you had or heard of similar experiences yourselves?

Thanks
Hello....?
Anyone can help?
Am I the only immigrant who's got a caution on this forum?
I feel so terribly bad for what I did to myself and my future.....:(

UKOZ
Newly Registered

Post by UKOZ » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:13 pm

If it is a simple police caution, then I wouldnt worry.

"[i]Cautions, reprimands and final warnings are not criminal convictions and so are not dealt with by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. So, if applicants that have only been cautioned, reprimanded or given final warnings and are asked whether they have any 'criminal convictions', they can legitimately answer 'no'.[/i]"

However, i would be open and honest at all accounts. So if they ask you about not good character, then mention it in there, along with the version of events.

the implications of a UK caution may mean you are inadmissable to the US and Canada (for about 5yrs).

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:33 am

UKOZ wrote:the implications of a UK caution may mean you are inadmissable to the US and Canada (for about 5yrs).
If someone gets a UK police caution, after getting a US/Canada visa and plan to travel to any of these countries (having travelled to these countries on the same visa before getting the caution)- will they need to contact the nearest US/Canadian consulate and take permission to travel there?

Could the US/Canadian immigration refuse entry to the country at the airport?