ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

first time adult passport application - supporting document

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dculliver
Newly Registered

first time adult passport application - supporting document

Post by dculliver » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Hello, I'm about to attend a citizenship ceremony and am looking to apply for a British passport fairly soon after that. As a supporting document, the IPS says it requires "the passport on which you entered the UK". Does anyone know if this means the passport used when first entering the UK with the visa that ultimately led to settlement - which, in my case, was five years ago and my then passport has since expired and has been renewed - or does it mean the passport used to enter the UK most recently?

Given the advertised processing time of six weeks, sending in one's current passport is a major disincentive (which may be deliberate I suppose) compared to being without an old passport gathering dust. I don't think I would want to be unable to travel for such a long period which may mean delaying an application for a British passport until i can more safely assume i won't need to travel.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Full IPS wording is below.

David

"If you were born outside the UK and have a certificate of naturalisation or registration from the Home Office. In this case IPS needs two documents: your naturalisation or registration certificate [and] your UK national identity card or the passport on which you entered the UK"

magsi23
Member of Standing

Re: first time adult passport application - supporting docum

Post by magsi23 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:14 am

dculliver wrote:Hello, I'm about to attend a citizenship ceremony and am looking to apply for a British passport fairly soon after that. As a supporting document, the IPS says it requires "the passport on which you entered the UK". Does anyone know if this means the passport used when first entering the UK with the visa that ultimately led to settlement - which, in my case, was five years ago and my then passport has since expired and has been renewed - or does it mean the passport used to enter the UK most recently?

Given the advertised processing time of six weeks, sending in one's current passport is a major disincentive (which may be deliberate I suppose) compared to being without an old passport gathering dust. I don't think I would want to be unable to travel for such a long period which may mean delaying an application for a British passport until i can more safely assume i won't need to travel.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Full IPS wording is below.

David

"If you were born outside the UK and have a certificate of naturalisation or registration from the Home Office. In this case IPS needs two documents: your naturalisation or registration certificate [and] your UK national identity card or the passport on which you entered the UK"

In your case all you would need is your naturalisation certificate and your current passport thats all.

Regards
Magsi

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:02 am

Mhunt
Newly Registered

Post by Mhunt » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:51 pm

If the current passport is different from the one i used to enter the uk should I send both?

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Mhunt wrote:If the current passport is different from the one i used to enter the uk should I send both?
You need to send all Un Cancelled passports, if you eneterd on a passport that is still valid then Yes otherwise No
Magsi

1963British

Post by 1963British » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:42 pm

Solicitor copies of documents are completely acceptable.

Mhunt
Newly Registered

Post by Mhunt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:05 pm

If I apply by check and send (post office) and don't have passport copies verified by a solicitor, do I need to send the current passport or do they just check it the same way checking service checks and returns it right away?