ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Visa for Spouse of British Citizen

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

magsi23
Member of Standing

Schengen Visa for Spouse of British Citizen

Post by magsi23 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi All

I am planning a trip in January to go to France for few days by then i should have my british passport as i am already naturalised so my questions are:

A) I understand French visa can be applied through TLS contact now, although Schengen Visa fee does not have to be paid in my case ie spouse of EU natinal do i have to pay TLS contact their administration fee of £24? in which case it is not free as such is it?or their is way around it?

B) On the form it says The field marked with * shall not be filled in by family members of EU,EEA or CH citizens (spous, child or dependent ascendant) while exercising their right to free movement. Family members of EU,EEA or CH citizens shall present documents to prove this relationship and fill in fields No 34 and 35.
I have seen people who have been asked for their travel details ie hotels flights etc? so slightly confused? not sure what to beleive?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Magsi

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:00 am

As soon as you read through their web pages (both embassy and TLS) you will find that you do not have to use this private service but can directly contact the consulate through a call center.

You should have to fill in only the unstarred fields and should not have to add any additional documents. At least that's how the London embassy handled family member cases in the past.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:10 am

86ti wrote:As soon as you read through their web pages (both embassy and TLS) you will find that you do not have to use this private service but can directly contact the consulate through a call center.

You should have to fill in only the unstarred fields and should not have to add any additional documents. At least that's how the London embassy handled family member cases in the past.
Thanks 86ti,

Anyone else had to provide travel information at French embassy as Spouse of EU citizen?

Also do we need to provide the travel insurance?

Regards
Magsi

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:52 am

86ti wrote:As soon as you read through their web pages (both embassy and TLS) you will find that you do not have to use this private service but can directly contact the consulate through a call center.
The embassy website does say that from 1st October customers will no longer be able to apply for visas via the consulate only via TLS.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:48 am

Plum70 wrote:
The embassy website does say that from 1st October customers will no longer be able to apply for visas via the consulate only via TLS.
Last sentence and likewise. TLS may be responsible for the appointments (I suppose that is what you are referring to) but obviously you do not have to use their service. I understand that as not having to pay this additional fee.
Last edited by 86ti on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:49 am

Plum70 wrote:

This is what it says on the embassy website:

"If you don’t want to apply at TLScontact visa centre, you may apply at the French Consulate. Appointment is compulsory and is taken by calling 0845 7300 118 from Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm"

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Welcome.html

So my point is why should we have to pay the fees when we can get it for free? I understand via TLS might get appointment quicker but thats personal preference i guess.

Regards
Magsi

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:53 am

magsi23 wrote:So my point is why should we have to pay the fees when we can get it for free? I understand via TLS might get appointment quicker but thats personal preference i guess.
I they can really stick to the quoted processing times then this may be attractive to some people. Especially during the main travelling season people were previously adviced to apply early on. If you have enough time just avoid the fee. And please report back how it went.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:30 am

magsi23 wrote:So my point is why should we have to pay the fees when we can get it for free? I understand via TLS might get appointment quicker but thats personal preference i guess.
I can not see a point to paying the fees to the outsourced service people if you are a family member of an EU citizen. It should be just as fast to apply directly with the embassy. And zero cost.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:17 pm

86ti wrote: Last sentence and likewise. TLS may be responsible for the appointments (I suppose that is what you are referring to) but obviously you do not have to use their service. I understand that as not having to pay this additional fee.
It was easy, convenient and cost-free to apply online. I don't see why (besides the embassy making a couple of quid) one now has to call an '0845' number.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:41 pm

The recently issued Schengen visa rules force Schengen member countries to offer high quality no-cost visa service to family members of EU citizens. They are not allowed to charge a fee.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:56 am

Thank you all for your contribution so far, Can some one please tell me if we would need travel insurance for schengen visa for my wife?

Regards
Magsi

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Legally no insurance is required for spouses of EU citizens.

Your milage may vary with the different embassies.

mohanapriyav
Newly Registered

Post by mohanapriyav » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Hi,

I applied for Schengen visa through french embassy on 4th Nov 2010. I applied direct through French Consulate and not through TLS contact services. Today I got my visa. I thought I'll share my experience on this and hope this will help someone.

I called TLS contact services at 0845 7300 118 and booked for an appointment with french consulate direct. Just day before the appointment i got a call back from them just to confirm about my appointment.

There is no proof of email or number that you can take with you for this appointment. On the appointment day go to TLS contact service as early as possible, as this will be served on first come first serve basis,

Representative from french consulate will be available in TLS centre to collect your documents. TLS centre receptionist will direct you to the consulate representative, they already have the details of those who has booked appointment by phone. Just submit all the documents and pay the visa fees. I paid 53.10 GBP only and not the TLS admin fee. I also gave them Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope with my address. Just note down the track number of the post, so that you can track the mail online. Visa appointment direct with consulate was quick and easier. I got my visa within 2 days.

I hope this helps.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:35 pm

mohanapriyav wrote:Just submit all the documents and pay the visa fees. I paid 53.10 GBP only and not the TLS admin fee.
Are you getting your visa as an individual or as a non-EU family member of an EU citizen?

Why did you not pay the TLS admin fee?

It sounds like it went smoothly.

mohanapriyav
Newly Registered

Post by mohanapriyav » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:58 pm

I applied as an individual. I just wanted to apply direct through consulate as i didnt find paying extra for TLS for their administration/service as worth.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:26 pm

mohanapriyav wrote:i didnt find paying extra for TLS for their administration/service as worth.
Where you able to identify what value-added TLS provided for their fee? I must say it has been unclear to me if these service providers aided anything but their own pocket.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:26 pm

mohanapriyav wrote:I applied as an individual. I just wanted to apply direct through consulate as i didnt find paying extra for TLS for their administration/service as worth.
Thanks for sharing your experience, How long did it take you to get the appointment?

Very useful to know that you would still need to go to TLS contact's office rather than going to the embassy direct.
Magsi

mohanapriyav
Newly Registered

Post by mohanapriyav » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:33 am

I called contact centre on 25th Oct and got an appointment for 4th Nov.