ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Renewal & Visa Issue

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

coolguycp1

Passport Renewal & Visa Issue

Post by coolguycp1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:54 am

My friend is on a 5 year work permit and has been in UK for the last 4 years. His passport is expiring in March next year. He is going to apply for a new passport this month. Assuming that he gets his passport by December, will it be any problem for him to travel anywhere on two different passports, one which has the work permit visa and the other which is the new passport?

He is not really keen to transfer his work permit visa onto the new passport because of the costs involved and as well as the remaining duration of his work permit is less than a year anyway.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:04 am

Transferring your visa to a new passport wrote:You do not need to transfer your residence permit to your new passport. If you choose not to transfer your permit, you should carry both your old and new passports when you travel to the UK - this will prove to our immigration officers that you have the right to be in the UK. If you cannot produce your residence permit when you arrive at our border, you may not be allowed to enter the country.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

coolguycp1

Post by coolguycp1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks Vinny,

I now understand that it wont be a problem as far as UK borders are concerned.

Does anyone know if there are any issues when travelling in Europe as we have been told by people that some EU countries are very strict on visa needing to be on the same travel document.

nksg

Post by nksg » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:08 pm

I have travelled to europe recently with two passports (old and new) without any issues.. hope this helps...
coolguycp1 wrote:Thanks Vinny,

I now understand that it wont be a problem as far as UK borders are concerned.

Does anyone know if there are any issues when travelling in Europe as we have been told by people that some EU countries are very strict on visa needing to be on the same travel document.