ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP expiring, breached 180 day out of uk limit. advice pls

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

eppiblue
Newly Registered

HSMP expiring, breached 180 day out of uk limit. advice pls

Post by eppiblue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi

I have a unique situation involving breach of 180 days allowed out of the UK and Im struggling to figure out my options, any informed advice would be greatly appreciated.

Background:
Im employed, 31 years old, earning 80K+, with a bachelors degree.
I do not own a house in the UK but the rest of my 'estate' is here (eh shares, ISAs etc)

I was approved for HSMP 31 March 2006, whilst in the country on a working holiday visa.
2 year visa commenced from 11 April 2006 followed by a successful extention for 3 years until 11 April 2011.

At this point I was going to apply for ILR. However it seems that as I applied for HSMP before 3 April 2006 I could apply for ILR after 4 years due to the HSMP Forum judicial review.

Here's the rub:
Upon looking into ILR I read I needed to have spent less than 180 days outside of the UK. My issue is that I have been out of the UK on holidays for around 205 days in the last 4 year period, including 1 recent single trip of just over 3 months.

What are my options? Can I apply to go on tier 1 in March 2011? Or is there some way I can still get ILR now?

Im not sure if I should just try my luck with the coalitions new immigration laws...

help appreciated.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:15 pm

Why were you outside the UK? Holidays, work, etc?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

eppiblue
Newly Registered

Post by eppiblue » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:54 am

yep all holidays. I guess I can just go onto tier 1 in April? A bit annoying tho as I really wanted to get ILR

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:27 am

If I understand correctly (and seniors could confirm), if you are out of the UK for more than 90 days in a row, your clock resets to zero. So your time to ILR would start counting from when you returned to the UK after your 3 month trip.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:47 am

The single absence of 90+ days on a holiday is the show-stopper. IMHO, the caseworker discretion is unlikely to be in your favour.

And yes, in effect, this resets the ILR counter because as per guidance there cannot be any single absence of more than 90 days in the qualifying residential period.

regards

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:55 am

You might still be able to qualify if it was paid holidays (with letter from your employer).

See section 3 here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

"In assessing whether or not an applicant has fulfilled the requirement to have spent 5 years in continuous residence in the same capacity, short absences abroad, for example for holidays (consistent with annual paid leave) or business trips (consistent with maintaining employment or self-employment in the United Kingdom), may be disregarded, provided he has clearly continued to be based here"

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:03 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Mohanfromblr
BANNED

Post by Mohanfromblr » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:17 pm

I am unable to evaluate and assess my situation.
I would like to know more about my situation.
Granted Initial Tier-1 Visa on 01,Nov,2008
Initial Entry in UK on 21, Dec, 2008 (Already 51 days absent).
I need to go on a Business Visa (My company sponsored) to USA in the next month (say 01,Dec,2010) and will return in 12 weeks.
I assume that I would return on 01,March,2011.
So a loss of 90 days (absent in UK).
I would go for Tier-1 extension on 01,Nov,2011.
Assuming that everything would be fine (for all old Tier-1 applicants, in face of severe changes to be announced), I would be granted an extension till 01,Nov,2013.
Guys, kindly comment on my situation like how many more leaves I can take, am I eligible for ILR by 01,Nov,2013, do I need Tier-1 extension again, what kind of leaves can I take etc.

Thanks in advance