ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

who are interested in protest against changes of 4-5

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:59 pm

tutu1005 wrote:dear guys, hope it is not too late to let you know this. Although it is mainly for chinese community but you are highly welcome to join this.

Hi, hope you guys are getting good feed back from MP, mine is Frank Dobson (Labour) , he hasn't get back yet.

just a quick one:

is anyone going to Christine's meeting on Thursday 27th of April?

Venue: Soho Outreach Centre
166A Shaftesbury Avenue, London, WC2H 8JB

Time: 7pm-9.30pm

MAP:
I am thinking about it but still not sure...

a11

Post by a11 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:34 pm

guys, how was the meeting? i was stuck at work till 10 pm, so couldn't go...

nonothing, just noticed that immigrationboards.pochta.ru is down.
what's happened to it? any technical problems?

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:05 pm

a11 wrote:nonothing, just noticed that immigrationboards.pochta.ru is down. what's happened to it? any technical problems?
i have no idea. ftp deosn't work either. it seemed ok this morning.

a11

Post by a11 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:45 pm

i'll write to them tomorrow and ask what the problem is.

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:05 am

here are memo from the meeting from Joseph

Here is a quick summary of what happened tonite:

Some background:

1. Christine Lee has been called away from London unexpected for the last 2 weeks, so her lobbying work has to take a slower pace even though her staffs has tried to make as much progress as possible.
2. Unfortunately some the original guests cannot make it tonight because of work and other commitments. For Example, Mr Thomas Chan, Chair of Chinese Takeaway Association, and Edmund Yeo, Chair of CIAC who has expressed his support for the campaign cannot be here tonight as they are standing for the Local Election next week and need the time for canvassing.
3. Just fewer than 100 people turn up, although it represents many more community groups then last meeting, there were representatives from: Christine's caterer clients, Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners, SayNotoHO, Immigration Board / LKCN users, Church Representative, Local Activists, The Turkish Group, The Arabic Group, Sri Laken Bankers and many others.
4. Media representation included TVB Europe, Sing Tao and Spectrum Radio.
5. The Panel of Guest were Mr David Ho, solicitor; Dr John May, Management Consultant; Christine Lee, Solicitor; Andrew Dismore MP, Chair of Chinese in Britain Parliamentary Group.
6. The meeting begin with Christine giving update of her work, and then the audience take part in a Q &A session sharing what they have done so far and see how it can all fit in with Christine work in progress.
7. Andrew Dismore arrived shortly after 8pm, after explained briefly of his strategies, the remainder time were spend mainly for audience to raise points of queries with the MP. Meeting finish just before 9.30.

What stage is the campaign now?

The overall strategy is still very much based on lobbying with the Home Office.
Christine has scheduled an informal meeting with Tony Mcnulty on May 17th.
It is important she received as much support as possible by this date so she can lay the greatest pressure on the minister at the meeting.

What is being done to maximise the impact at the meeting:

1. Andrew Dismore has already agreed to be the spokesperson for the campaign in the House of Common.
http://www.dodonline.co.uk/engine.asp?l ... y&id=25638

2. He will submit a PUBLIC PETITION at the House of Common on the change of rules.
Public Petition is a special procedure at the parliament for the public to air their grievances. Although unlikely of getting a full debate at the common, the MP can make a statement on the petition in the Common. This would force the department responsible to investigate the grievances and lay a reply to the petition. Typically we will need to gather at least 1000 signatures for this to be of any significance, although, it is possible to submit the petition with less signatures.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/p07.pdf
http://www.parliament.uk/parliamentary_ ... itions.cfm

As this is an Official Procedures, the rules for the layout of this petition are very strict and a special petition form needed to be signed. I will post it here as soon as I can a copy.

3. He will also talk to other MPs to gather support and get them to make direct call to Tony Mcnulty to putting pressure on him.

4. As the chairman of the Common Select Committee for Human Right, he will also look at any breach of Human Right Law on the Change of rules.

5. Lord Dholakia, Liberal Democrat has agreed to be the spoke person for the campaign; He has already gathered support from a few other peers and hopes to raise the issue at the House of Lord.
http://www.dodonline.co.uk/engine.asp?l ... y&id=26795

6. General Public must now be encouraged to sign the new petition so we can get this issue raised at the House of Common. Herbalists, Supermarkets, Clansmen associations and other suitable venues should be targeted to place a book of petition to gather signatures not only from the Chinese, but also customers and general public who come to the premises.

7. All the existing Petition should continue and be presented either to Mcnulty or the Prime minister. This form of petition do not required the small stringent layout, so a mixture of any form of petition would be acceptable as long as it is for the issue. It can partly be Christine's original petitions, partly from the print-out of the e-petitions, and partly be other petitions.

8. Continue to write to the MP with a clear aim of getting him to present your case/letter to the HO minister. If a lay person sends a letter to the HO, HO can easily ignore it, but HO has to response to an MP letter.

9. Continue to invite the MP to support the Early Day Motion EDM, but do not let them off the hook once they sign the EDM, make sure he write to HO minister as well and follow it up. From Andrew Dismore's personal experience, there are over 2200 EDM at one time, most of them will be buried, NONE will ever get debated. The key is to get cross-party support by phrasing it in a way acceptable to all so everyone can feel they can subscribe to it.It is more like a special OPIONION POLL for the government to see how the MP feels and has little real power. It can however exert additional pressure to Mcnulty if enough MP subscribe to it. But this kind of pressure is a lot less then having the MP send a letter or even make a call to HO. Many MP use EDM as a kind of cope up, so it appeared to have done something for the affected public, but he know he haven't affected anyone in the Government by this kind of "vote"

10. Start a new campaign to get people to visit the MP's Surgery and get the message across directly.

11. Whenever there is a response from the MP, send it to Christine, so she can collect it as part of the evidence to Mcnulty and also draft a new letter to tackle the MP.

12. The Turkish Community will work closely with Christine's team and try to come up with an e-version of the letters with a choice of hardship example for supporters to produce their tailor made MP letters.

13. The Arab community has provided names and contact of MP who has already agreed to support the campaign. Letter of support or letter of hardship evidence should be send to them so they will continue to support the campaign. The tone of these letters should show our appreciation for their efforts while reminding him/her the dire situation faced by the migrants waiting for an extra year.

Common Concerns
Demonstration YES OR NO
Andrew Dismore urge the supporters to focus on the Public Petition and the MP letters rather then planning street action. The time for the lobby process is very limited; supporters need to focus their action right now. The Anti-Iraq War demo attracted a lot more people than this campaign ever can, and yet it did not stop the war. An alternative way would be to collect thousands of petitions and do a march from Chinatown to Downing Street and present it to Tony Blair. This would probably give you the desire press coverage.

All Communities with similar concern join force and working together YES or NO
Andrew Dismore reply, it is good to have it, but it will take time to organise everyone, and it can be hard from his experience of working with many groups to keep everyone on the same goal. The best way is to keep a close communication among the groups and everyone look at what other groups are doing and try to support each other the best they can. Also he pointed out that the number game can be presented in many ways, rather than having 2000 petitions submitted by him on his own, the Turkish community can take halve of the petitions and submit the petitions with the help of another MP. The end result will have a lot more impact.

Can someone get the support of a MP before he/she become a British Citizen?
The answer is likely to be YES. In many metropolitan area, a typical MP would see about 100 case a week, and as much as half of them are non-British citizens, such as Asylum Seekers, etc. Andrew Dismore feels that many MP look at the MP, if they help you to write a letter and you eventually become a British Citizen, you are more than likely a loyal supporter of that MP for the remainder of his parliamentary life.

Other Comments
A lot of participants today still only focus on themselves to sign the petition and the MP Letter. A much better campaign must be launched to mobilise people not directly affected to support the campaign if this is to receive the same amount of attention from the government as the last campaign by Christine.

The TCM Practitioners told some very hollowing tales, many of them have already uprooted their whole family and all their assets to this country. many of them will have to renew their visa this year., The next 12 month, instead of being able to follow their original plans to buy their own house here and settle down as a full resident, will be an extremely nerve-wrecking time for them worrying about the future not just of their own but also of their children and their family. The practistioners group has a serious lack in English skill, and feel very isolated. They feel there must be many hundreds more practistioners like them in the country, but feel frustrated that they cannot bring them together and take some action together.

One participant raise the point that Andrew Dismore as the Chair of the Parliamentary Chinese in Britain Group, he should be better inform on the change of rules. Dismore explain he cannot know everything at all time and the position as the Chair and on other committee are voluntary. He does rely on the public to bring to him any grievance and concern so he can follow them up on their behalf if necessary. He feels that for the long term, Chinese people must take a more active role in the politics so that they can influence in the decision-making process in the government better. Christine expressed her gratitude to Andrew Dismore for his support not only for this and the last campaign, but also for his support over the long term in the last few years.

This is as much as I can remember. Really exhausted today. haha

This post has been edited by joseph.DJ@558.net on 28 Apr 2006, 1:41

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:06 am

Thank you Joseph.

Here are something to support Joseph's memo from me:

David explainedLegal possibility 1) has government been performing under the Law? – retrospective 2) Government destroyed legitimate expectations , like broken the contract between OH/government with WP/HSMP/etc holder 3) Any new ACT/ statue need to meet the requirement of EU Human Right directive. Need to find out if there is HR issue in this change.

Also Joseph lead some other Minority community members stated their situation and asked questions which they would like to address.

From 8:30- 9:30, MP Andrew Dismore attended the meeting and made the following points:
• Chinese community should involved more in politics. As Chairman of All Party Chinese in Britain Group, he showed that he would like to see more Chinese get involved in politics.
• Campaign/Lobby need to focus on 2 aspects 1) how change has affected individuals 2) how individuals is going to react on this change. As same as Christine Lee, he mentioned about above 2 petitions – MP+ PM
• Mr. Dismore proposed 4 actions to be taken 1) sign petition 2) use our effort to find more people to sign petition 3) email MP and ask MP to write letter to HO Minister 4) arrange meeting to see MP

questions:

• Q: is email petition valid A: valid petition has to be signed by person
• Q: using different language? A: better put the non-English language at the back of the Petition

This post has been edited by tutu1005 on 28 Apr 2006, 2:04

--------------------

As simple as possible

团结起来向homeoffice正式挑战, 针对永居4年改5年的不公正政策

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:07 am

Positive feedback:
Arabic Group
Turkish Group
Russian group
More than 40 WP/ HSMP from one banking company
More than 100 Chinese medical WP/HSMP
Letter responses from MPs + Shadow Home Secretary. The lists have been provided by Arabic Group
David Davies, Shadow Home Secretary. Conservatives davisd@parliamnt.uk
Nick Clegg. Shadow Home Secretary. Liberal Democrats nickclegg@sheffieldhallam.org.uk

Damian Green. Shadow Immigration Minister. Conservatives greend@parliament.uk

Lynne Featherstone. Spokesperson for home affairs & London Liberal Democrats
lynne@lynnefeatherstone.org

Mark Hunter. Spokesperson for home affairs. Liberal democrats Hunterm@parliament.uk

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:38 am

There are a few politician TV programmes in which you could preset your questions and they will discuss and broadcast to the whole country. The most famous one is "question time" presented by David Dimbleby who is a major presenter of current affairs programmes and documentaries for BBC television.
He has presented the BBC's general election programmes for the last two decades as well as US presidential election programmes and Budget coverage.
He has chaired BBC One's Question Time since January 1994.

I have registered "question time" for the one 2 weeks later in London. I posted the link here, if you are interested, it is quite simple to get registered. However, they will only locate the ticket on the Monday of the programme week. I am still waiting..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/q ... efault.stm
Arabic group has showed their interesting, it would be good if we could have someone been selected to attend this programme and ask our questions directly to MP/SHADOW Home sec.

There are some other political programmes as well, could have a search and feedback later.

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Wed May 03, 2006 11:21 am

I have got information today that I have been invited to "question time" . There is opportunity to raise 2 questions, do you guys have any solid thought? Please provide to me by the end of today if you have. I think it is really a good opportunity for us to raise our concern directly to the MPs and other politicians. We might get more attention after this.

By the way, is there anyone else who also got invitation? If you have registered with BBC, you should get a call from them today.

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Wed May 03, 2006 11:56 am

tutu1005 wrote:I have got information today that I have been invited to "question time" . There is opportunity to raise 2 questions, do you guys have any solid thought? Please provide to me by the end of today if you have. I think it is really a good opportunity for us to raise our concern directly to the MPs and other politicians. We might get more attention after this.

By the way, is there anyone else who also got invitation? If you have registered with BBC, you should get a call from them today.
try to speak to Christine. I guess she's the best person to give any advice on that. Both questions should be put very carefully as most of the panel members have their own agendas.

While the retrospectiveness of the changes is the main point, I guess not all the panel members are aware of them at all. So it would be quite difficult to outline the main points of the changes in 1-2 questions, though quite possible.

For a layman it is not a big deal if we have to wait another year for residency. Should we explain the hardships (University fees and mortgage issues).

BTW, who's on the panel? Do you know?

TotalZone
Newly Registered

Post by TotalZone » Wed May 03, 2006 5:37 pm

For the centralised excel sheet of communication with MPs..
I have contacted my MP via EMail last week. Still waiting for the reply..
Constituency Wantage
Sitting MP Mr Edward Vaizey
Party Conservative
Will update you when I hear from his office.

Rohan
Newly Registered

Post by Rohan » Wed May 03, 2006 10:34 pm

I received replies from Mr. Stewart Hossie MP- Dundee East and Mr.Alex Salmond, Leader of the Scottish National Party.
Both of them have promissed to sign the EDM.

There was also a reply from the HO to Mr. Hossies's letter to them.
The reply was a carbon copy of Mr. Macnaulty's reply to so many others including Ms Christine Lee.

Rohan

Rohan
Newly Registered

Post by Rohan » Wed May 03, 2006 10:36 pm

I received replies from Mr. Stewart Hossie MP- Dundee East and Mr.Alex Salmond, Leader of the Scottish National Party.
Both of them have promissed to sign the EDM.

There was also a reply from the HO to Mr. Hossies's letter to them.
The reply was a carbon copy of Mr. Macnaulty's reply to so many others including Ms Christine Lee.

Rohan

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Fri May 05, 2006 10:31 am

tutu1005 wrote:I have got information today that I have been invited to "question time" . There is opportunity to raise 2 questions, do you guys have any solid thought? Please provide to me by the end of today if you have. I think it is really a good opportunity for us to raise our concern directly to the MPs and other politicians. We might get more attention after this.

hi tutu1005! I have not seen you on the telly yesterday. Though I missed the first part of the programme I caught up with it on the BBC website later. What's happened? You decided not to ask the question or they did not give you a chance? Or maybe you meant another day, not yesterday...

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri May 05, 2006 10:37 am

as far as i knew, tutu raised hand several times when they were talk about clark. no joy tough. :(

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Fri May 05, 2006 10:41 am

nonothing wrote:as far as i knew, tutu raised hand several times when they were talk about clark. no joy tough. :(
it's a shame...

sowhat

Post by sowhat » Fri May 05, 2006 10:58 am

Charles Clarke, the home secretary, became the first victim of Tony Blair’s post-election reshuffle on Friday, returning to the back benches a week after he became engulfed by the scandal over foreign prisoners.
(Financial Times)

a11

Post by a11 » Fri May 05, 2006 11:18 am

sowhat wrote:
Charles Clarke, the home secretary, became the first victim of Tony Blair’s post-election reshuffle on Friday, returning to the back benches a week after he became engulfed by the scandal over foreign prisoners.
(Financial Times)
Hey! Bloody good news (even irrespective of whether this is going to help us in our campaign or not)!

tarzan
Newly Registered

new targets

Post by tarzan » Sun May 07, 2006 1:51 pm

Friends,

1. Liberal Democrat Leader Sir Menzies Campbell sent a letter explaining their current course of action against the rules:
"....As you are aware, these reforms are being progressed via a negative order which means the Government's proposals will not be debated on the floor of the House or in Committee. The Liberal Democrats have prayed against the order which should require the Government to allow a debate on the above changes.
I hope you find this response reassuring."

***Expecting your comments on this.

2. Liberal Democrat Shadow Education secretary Sarah Teather sent a letter saying in short:
--she is concerned about our situation, finds these changes unjust, unfair, home office should have given sufficient notice of these changes.
--liberal democrats laid a motion against these changes which they hope to debate in committe before the deadline stipulated by parliamentary procedure (anticipated to be next month?)
--she will write back to me when the outcome of the committee is known.
--she will sign the EDM 1992 tabled by Sir Menzies.

I SUGGEST:
1. we focus on asking more liberal MP's to sign this, as they wont have an objection since it is tabled by party leader.
2. we focus on conservatives to set such course of action and get as many as possible of them involved in the process.

Shadow immigration minister had already mentioned that they would oppose the retrospective element of these changes. So now our targets should be:
Party leader David Cameron camerond@parliament.uk Fax: 0207 219 1506
--congradulate him for the local election results

Shadow Home office minister, David Davis, davisd@parliament.uk
--same arguments
Shadow minister of trade and industry, Alan Duncan, duncana@parliament.uk
--adding that it will be harmful for uk trade and industry as well.
Shadow secretary of work and pensions, Philip Hammond, hammondp@parliament.uk
--adding that Uk economy needs a constant influx of foreign younger workers that pay tax and NI.
shadow heath secretary Andrew Lansley, lansleya@parliament.uk
--adding that Uk health system needs foreign doctors and nurses

Regards
tarzan

tutu1005

Great News!!

Post by tutu1005 » Mon May 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Great news from Joseph. The HO official web is not working but it is true. Good for those by June.

Also did an interview with David Ho, seems home office annouce on the 3/5 that people can continue to use the old form to apply for ILR, ie only need to stay here for 4 years to qualify, until the new form is ready in June.

Home office has already approved a few ILR cases who did not stay the full 4-years before the APril 3rd deadline.

It is therefore a clear indication that the officials can use discretion and approve individual cases without staying the full qualifying duration in the UK.

ANYONE LIVE HERE FOR 4 YEARS by JUNE, should submit their application immidately, even if they have been refused recently on the ground of not reaching the qualifying period before april.
Home Office website is currently having technical difficulties, I have been unable to find the new announcement there yet

This post has been edited by joseph.DJ@558.net on 8 May 2006, 19:02

sams

Re: Great News!!

Post by sams » Tue May 09, 2006 11:56 am

tutu1005 wrote:Great news from Joseph. The HO official web is not working but it is true. Good for those by June.

Also did an interview with David Ho, seems home office annouce on the 3/5 that people can continue to use the old form to apply for ILR, ie only need to stay here for 4 years to qualify, until the new form is ready in June.

Home office has already approved a few ILR cases who did not stay the full 4-years before the APril 3rd deadline.

It is therefore a clear indication that the officials can use discretion and approve individual cases without staying the full qualifying duration in the UK.

ANYONE LIVE HERE FOR 4 YEARS by JUNE, should submit their application immidately, even if they have been refused recently on the ground of not reaching the qualifying period before april.
Home Office website is currently having technical difficulties, I have been unable to find the new announcement there yet

This post has been edited by joseph.DJ@558.net on 8 May 2006, 19:02

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... ation.html

Transitional Arrangements

* We recognise the difficulties customers may experience due to the forms not being updated immediately. Consequently, we are introducing an interim arrangement, whereby applicants who submit applications for settlement on or after 3 April, and have only completed 4 year's continuous leave, will be asked if they wish to vary the grounds of their application to an application for a further period of limited leave to remain. Applicants who do seek to vary their settlement application in this way will be requested either to complete the appropriate application form, or to provide any further information required for their application to be considered.

* Where appropriate, work permit holders will also need to ensure that their employer applies for a fresh work permit.

Only thing specified by HO in Transitional Arrangements, is about Further Limited Leave to Remain, not ILR. Applications for settlement on or after 3 April, and have only completed 4 year's continuous leave, will be asked if they wish to vary the grounds of their application...

a) Either you have to fill FLR application form (without losing the fees)
b) Or provide further information required to fullfill the requirements for FLR.
c) If applicant is a WP holder, then an application by employer for a fresh WP is also required.

newtux
Newly Registered

Post by newtux » Sat May 13, 2006 10:18 am

The form I found for ILR was the SET(0). But this one already mentions the change in the rules.

Which is the "old" for that do not mention the new rules, for which officials are willing to accept until June? Could you provide a link for this? Thanks a lot.

khandelwal
Newly Registered

Post by khandelwal » Wed May 17, 2006 1:03 pm

I received response from Damian Green. Hope things move
Iagree that the retrospective element of this change is damaging both to the individuals involved and to the British economy, and the Conservative Party will be opposing this element of the new rules now they have been referred to a Standing Committee. We expect this Committee to meet within the next few weeks.

Damian Green

I also got response from My MP Paul Goggins, according to him he can not sign the EDM as it is not allowed for ministers to sign?

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Fri May 19, 2006 1:58 pm

my letter from Damian Green said the same....hopefully we will see some results soon.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:35 pm

=^= from the depth of 4th page