ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization application with Italian passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

iaio80
Newly Registered

Naturalization application with Italian passport

Post by iaio80 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Dear All,
a quick question. Apologies if that has been answered before, but I'm really confused.

I was born in Italy, and moved to the UK in August 2005.
I've studied full time for the period August 2005 - October 2008, worked full time from November 2008 till present. I can demonstrate this, no prob. I'm not married and I do not have children. I've passed the life in the UK test.

My question is the following:

Can I apply for naturalization (form AN)?

The issue is the following: page 5 of the AN guide says: " But remember
that, unless married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should normally have held permanent resident status for 12 months before applying for naturalisation."

Does this mean I need to apply for EEA3 (permanent resident EEA) now, wait 12 months and apply for AN? In that case, the numbers of years would be at least 5+1!

Or, can I apply for AN now?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :D

wunder
Member of Standing

Re: Naturalization application with Italian passport

Post by wunder » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:45 am

iaio80 wrote:Does this mean I need to apply for EEA3 (permanent resident EEA) now, wait 12 months and apply for AN?
Yes.
iaio80 wrote:In that case, the numbers of years would be at least 5+1!
Indeed it is 6 years.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:01 am

You do not need to formally apply for permanent residence as this is a status that is obtained automatically but you still need to have it for at least 12 months before you can apply for naturalisation. Having PR confirmed may be helpful but keep in mind that processing times are several months at the moment.

voytek
Newly Registered

Post by voytek » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:15 pm

86ti wrote:You do not need to formally apply for permanent residence as this is a status that is obtained automatically but you still need to have it for at least 12 months before you can apply for naturalisation. Having PR confirmed may be helpful but keep in mind that processing times are several months at the moment.
Do you mean people from EU have to wait longer for the approval when applying for naturalisation ?? According to timeline thread average time after application submission is one month. I'm from EU8 country, I sent my application October 14th and I'm still waiting.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:05 pm

voytek wrote:
86ti wrote:You do not need to formally apply for permanent residence as this is a status that is obtained automatically but you still need to have it for at least 12 months before you can apply for naturalisation. Having PR confirmed may be helpful but keep in mind that processing times are several months at the moment.
Do you mean people from EU have to wait longer for the approval when applying for naturalisation ?? According to timeline thread average time after application submission is one month. I'm from EU8 country, I sent my application October 14th and I'm still waiting.
No, the application times for permanent residence take months so BC applications are obviously much faster.

haifeng
Newly Registered

Re: Naturalization application with Italian passport

Post by haifeng » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:29 pm

iaio80 wrote:Dear All,
a quick question. Apologies if that has been answered before, but I'm really confused.

I was born in Italy, and moved to the UK in August 2005.
I've studied full time for the period August 2005 - October 2008, worked full time from November 2008 till present. I can demonstrate this, no prob. I'm not married and I do not have children. I've passed the life in the UK test.

My question is the following:

Can I apply for naturalization (form AN)?

The issue is the following: page 5 of the AN guide says: " But remember
that, unless married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should normally have held permanent resident status for 12 months before applying for naturalisation."

Does this mean I need to apply for EEA3 (permanent resident EEA) now, wait 12 months and apply for AN? In that case, the numbers of years would be at least 5+1!

Or, can I apply for AN now?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :D
HI。。
i think i am in the same situation as you,i had an appointment with NCS,they told me that i need the'comprehensive sickness insurance'as i just got it from insurance company,however,they said it has to cover the last 6 years as well..so im confused,do u have the insurance thing?