ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension of student Nurse Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Extension of student Nurse Visa

Post by samkma » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:15 am

My spouse is a student Nurse doing her adaptation and i am here as her dependant. She came ti UK on a student Nurse visa issue for one year Entry Clearance. Could someone expalin me how we could apply for an extension. she is doing her adaptation at a nursing home in London.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:41 am

If your wife wants to apply for an extension to her student visa then the form to use is the FLR(S).

After you download that you will see that your details will be entered into Section 3 of the form.

It is important that IND receive the application before the expiry of the current visa ... which expires when incidentally? That way, even if the application is not dealt with by the stated expiry date, the old visas are treated as continuing while the application is dealt with. That is, you and your wife would not be overstayers simply because the result of the application is not known.

Note that a postal application will cost £250 and an "in person" application at a PEO will cost £500.
John

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:41 am

Thank you for the info John. It is helpful
Merry X'Mas to all who read this

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:09 pm

Does the extension decision of the home office vary if sent by post or going to the office in person?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:34 pm

Assuming the evidence presented would be the same then the easy answer is no, the decision would be the same.

That is, whoever considers the application will be working to the same rules and guidance instructions, whether the person considering the application is in a PEO or in some anonymous office somewhere else.

But also consider this. If a particular PEO is being under-used, even temporarily, then postal applications might well be diverted there to use that resource. For example, a couple of years back the public area at the Birmingham PEO was being refurbished and thus that office was closed temporarily to the public. What did the staff working there do? The answer is that they assisted in dealing with postal applications.
Last edited by John on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:36 pm

I would be surprised if there was any difference in the FLR granted in a postal application vis a vis a premium service application as it would all depend on the supporting documents (which would be the same regardless of which application route is taken).

The only advantage of the premium service is that you would get an instant decision as opposed to the waiting period for postal applications.

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

visa extension

Post by samkma » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:55 pm

Hi
My wife entered UK on a Student Nurse visa, Now she needs an extension and she is currently doing her supervised placement, so the Home Office website says for extension as a supervised placement ( adaptation Nurse) use form FLR (O) ??? confused FLR(S) or (O)??

One more quick question :?:
:!: :!:
:D
I got an appiontment with PEO Croydon for 1st March, but cannot be there as the papers are not ready. So should I call and cancel the appiontment :?:
Visa expires on 6th March 2006 is it ok if we can send it by post. :?:

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Attn: Mods

Post by samkma » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:03 pm

Mods pls give me a quickie wisey answer please! :arrow:

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:31 pm

According to this IND webpage there was a change to the immigration rules last year. The relevant paragraph on that webpage reads :-
Where an overseas qualified nurse has an offer of employment and is required only to undertake the 20-day period of protected learning, they may qualify for a work permit and enter or remain on that basis. Those required by the NMC to complete a period of supervised practice should be admitted, or given leave to remain, under a new permit-free employment category as an overseas qualified nurse or midwife.
Picking up on the words "new permit-free employment category as an overseas qualified nurse or midwife" suggests that the correct form to use is the FLR(O) rather than the FLR(S).

In case I am missing something here, other views very welcome.
John

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:06 pm

Lots more on this webpage that only confirms in my mind that the form FLR(O) is the correct one to use.
John

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Thanks John
We are going to PEO at Croydon tomorrow will let you know the outcome.

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

from PEO Croydon

Post by samkma » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:14 pm

We are just back home from the PEO Croydon, The person at reception on the ground floor informed us that Adaptation Nurse extension cannot be dealt in person but must be sent by post ONLY.
I am surprised as we had been given an appointment today.
So what's next???

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:37 pm

Sorry to hear that. I have spotted nothing on the IND website to say that only postal application can be made for that sort of application.
So what's next???
Obviously put it in the post! At least you have saved £165 ... the difference between the £500 you would have paid and the £335 you will have to pay now.

Given the nature of the documents being sent, do use Special Delivery to send the application. Given that the current visa has a stated expiry date of 06.03.06 you need to post the application no later than tomorrow, Saturday.

Assuming the application is posted by tomorrow Section 3C will come into play. That is, assuming the application is received by IND before the expiry of the old visa, that old visa is "treated as continuing" while they deal with the application. So your wife and you will not suddenly become overstayers at the end of Monday. The existing visas will remain in force, notwithstanding that the stated expiry date has passed, until either the new application is successful, or if declined, until the time to appeal against that has expired.
John

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:19 pm

Hi John,
I have sent the documents by special delivery on the 2nd so I presume it would have reached the FLR offices today. Will wait for the response, And the 165 saving is worth.

So now the IND should make changes on their website about this procedure.

Will keep informed.

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:28 pm

So Having sent the documents to IND what is their next move?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:42 pm

Sorry if this answer is a bit basic .... they will consider the application and the supporting documentation and will make a decision, or if they feel the need to clarify anything, write to you and do that.

It depends how busy they are ..... you might hear something back in three to four weeks.

On the 3rd you posted :-
I have sent the documents by special delivery on the 2nd so I presume it would have reached the FLR offices today.
You can check. If you go to www.royalmail.co.uk you can use the Track & Trace service and get confirmation of delivery. So no need to presume.
John

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:06 pm

Thank you John
I have received an acknowledgement from the Home Office.

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Four Weeks!

Post by samkma » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:12 pm

It is 4 weeks since our passports are with the Home Office. So is there any contact numbers to ring and find the position or status of our application?

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:00 pm

Today is 18th April 2006 No reply / passports from Home Office, means i have to be in dark and expect the passport to arrive anyday / anytime?? the country i lived in before (Bahrain) it's immigration service is far far better than UK's and most advisors there are from UK and Australia. Maybe they should come back and serve Britian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? :!: :?: :oops:

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:24 pm

I suspect the numbers wanting to get visas for Bahrain and those wanting visas for the UK are rather different.

We do know from the IND website that they are now looking at applications received in March, and as you applied early in March you will hopefully hear soon.

Do appreciate that as the application was made prior to the stated expiry date of the old visa, that visa is "treated as continuing" .... no one here is an overstayer.

Apart from the obvious ... the need to know ... is there any particular reason to needing to know soon?
John

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:16 am

John,
Thank you for the information. :idea: I need my passport to get a fingerprinting to be done for a police clearance cert from Bahrain. I have no other foto ID's to produce, anyway have put up patience and hoping to receive the PP soon.
Thank you once more for the reply.
I love being in UK and at this forum too!
Cheers!!!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:22 am

Samkma, for that reason I think you are justified in asking for progress on your application.

But what you do not want to do is simply withdraw your passport. That would be treated as you withdrawing your visa application.
John

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:05 pm

Getting my visa extended is on the first priority.

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:10 am

7 weeks past and no response.
Ind website is always down.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:24 am

samkma wrote:7 weeks past and no response.
Ind website is always down.
I am sure if they new that your English was excellent they would have gotten your case finished by now :wink:
Where there is a will there is a way.