ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HOW CAN A EEA NATIONAL APPLY FOR NATURALIZATION AS British??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

europeanpol
Newly Registered

HOW CAN A EEA NATIONAL APPLY FOR NATURALIZATION AS British??

Post by europeanpol » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 am

Hi guys I need some advice please. I am a Polish national and I have been working as self employed and living in the UK for exactly 5 years now and I would like to apply for naturalization as a British citizen.
But I am not sure how to do that. I heard that you must have been here 5 years as a permanent resident and also another year as such so altogether 6 years. Is that right?
Also I am considering applying for Permanent residence under EU law using form EEA3 which I know it is not compulsory but maybe it would help me prove eventually when I apply for naturalization that I have been here 5 years and that I am a permanent resident.
Or Do I need to apply for Indefinite leave to Remain? By the way I am married to a third country national.
Has anyone been in my situation? Please help me, any post will be very much appreciated.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:38 pm

voytek
Newly Registered

Re: HOW CAN A EEA NATIONAL APPLY FOR NATURALIZATION AS Briti

Post by voytek » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:50 pm

europeanpol wrote:I heard that you must have been here 5 years as a permanent resident and also another year as such so altogether 6 years. Is that right?
Correct. Six years all together, for the last twelve months you have to have Permanent Residence status.
europeanpol wrote:Or Do I need to apply for Indefinite leave to Remain?
You don't need to apply for Indefinite leave to Remain[/quote]

europeanpol
Newly Registered

Post by europeanpol » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks for your answers. I'd just like to know of any EEA citizen that has applied for Permanent Residence using form EEA3 and how long it took for them to get it. Also I'd like to know from when you get permanent Residence, is it from the date of submission or from the date when they send you the letter of confirmation. I am asking this because if i get the letter confirming my Permanent Residence in uk with the date when they actually send it out to me, then If it has taken for example 4 months to process, then it means that rather than waiting 12 months to apply for naturalization as a British Citizen, I will have to wait 16 months. As I said before I have been here exactly 5 years. Do you think I should not risk it and just not apply for this Permanent residence and just wait another 12 months to do so?
Any replies will be very much appreciated. Thanks very much.

boloney

Post by boloney » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:14 pm

europeanpol wrote:Thanks for your answers. I'd just like to know of any EEA citizen that has applied for Permanent Residence using form EEA3 and how long it took for them to get it. Also I'd like to know from when you get permanent Residence, is it from the date of submission or from the date when they send you the letter of confirmation. I am asking this because if i get the letter confirming my Permanent Residence in uk with the date when they actually send it out to me, then If it has taken for example 4 months to process, then it means that rather than waiting 12 months to apply for naturalization as a British Citizen, I will have to wait 16 months. As I said before I have been here exactly 5 years. Do you think I should not risk it and just not apply for this Permanent residence and just wait another 12 months to do so?
Any replies will be very much appreciated. Thanks very much.
apply for PR, does`t cost you anything.I`m polish national, I did apply for it after completed 5 years(others been asking me what for am I doing it, thats not gonna help me)but whem my daughter was born they were suprised she is got British passport strait away, without any complication, is good have it to proof yours status here.
as far as I know 5 years is counted from date when you completed, not from the date the home office issue the PR card.
any way whats the rush?

europeanpol
Newly Registered

Post by europeanpol » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:27 am

Thanks for posting. You said that you applied for PR and you got it, but how long did it take you exactly? and did it say in the letter of confirmation of permanent residence in the Uk that you have been a Permanent Resident since the date you sent the application to them, or since the date they decided to grant you PR in uk.
I need to know for sure because I have heard stories where the HO takes even a year to issue a PR and when you apply for BC they count the 12 month residency from the time you acquired PR (I mean when they issue the letter) and not when you actually complete the five years, which is much sooner.
I am very surprised that your baby got British citizenshipo straightaway, how did that happen? My wife is SouthAmerican and our baby was born in the UK in february 2009 and she has a Polish passport for now but of course I would like to get a British one for her. As far as I know for her to be entitled to one, either parent must be British or otherwise she has to be naturalized. So is your partner British?
Your replies are very much appreciated

voytek
Newly Registered

Post by voytek » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:40 am

europeanpol wrote:You said that you applied for PR and you got it, but how long did it take you exactly
It took me 3 weeks to get Permanent Residence after sending EEA3 application.

europeanpol
Newly Registered

Post by europeanpol » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Voytek Thanks for taking your time to scan your Permanent residence. It is just like the one I have got which is Registration Certificate.
Thanks

boloney

Post by boloney » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:23 pm

europeanpol wrote:Thanks for posting. You said that you applied for PR and you got it, but how long did it take you exactly? and did it say in the letter of confirmation of permanent residence in the Uk that you have been a Permanent Resident since the date you sent the application to them, or since the date they decided to grant you PR in uk.
I need to know for sure because I have heard stories where the HO takes even a year to issue a PR and when you apply for BC they count the 12 month residency from the time you acquired PR (I mean when they issue the letter) and not when you actually complete the five years, which is much sooner.
I am very surprised that your baby got British citizenshipo straightaway, how did that happen? My wife is SouthAmerican and our baby was born in the UK in february 2009 and she has a Polish passport for now but of course I would like to get a British one for her. As far as I know for her to be entitled to one, either parent must be British or otherwise she has to be naturalized. So is your partner British?
Your replies are very much appreciated

i can`t remember exactly how long but up to 3 months, date on my PR is the date when HO issue the card.my wife is polish as well, look at British Nationality Act, section 1(1).If you completed five years residence before your baby was born you can try apply for baby British passport, just send them evidence of yours five years in the UK and covering letter, my friend gonna do it soon as they register new born because they want go to poland for christmas.they both polish and to apply for polish passport that will take 30 days, so they have not enough time to do it.anyway if you completed five years after your baby was born you can register baby as British citizen, this option is cheaper than naturalization(470 GBP).