ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration Solicitors

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kamilla
Russia

Immigration Solicitors

Post by Kamilla » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:56 pm

Dear All!
I am about to apply for the Post Study Work visa. Will it make sense to hire a lawyer to check my application before applying? Can anyone please recommend a good solicitor in London?
Thank you in advance!

lkpone

Post by lkpone » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:27 pm

If you have money to burn, then go for it - there's nothing like having peace of mind. :)

BUT... as it's a fairly straight-forward visa - evidence-wise - I'd check through the guidance for documents thoroughly and if you have everything, I wouldn't waste the money to be honest... everything you need is listed very clearly, so just double- & triple-check it before you send it or apply and you'll be fine.... and richer :)

Lindsay :wink:

Kamilla
Russia

Post by Kamilla » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Thank you, Lindsay :)
it is just there are requirements that still confuse me. The Biometric Residence Permit, for example. I never had one. I received my Student visa in 2009 as a stamp in my passport. I never had any BRP. Now I see that it is required for the PSW application.
I've read the leaflets by the UK Border Agency, but they dont say what to do if you never had any BRP. People in this forum suggest to right "I was not issued BRP, as i applied before the BPR were started".
I dont see a law or a rule allowing this.
Shell I get one?
Although I already know, that It would only be possible if i was applying for an extention. Well, I am not. I need to switch to Tier 1 PSW from my Student Tier 4.
Could you please suggest where can i find a reliable information regarding the Biometric Residence Permit?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:36 pm

Kamilla wrote:Now I see that it is required for the PSW application
No it is not so.
Tier 1 (PSW) application form -> Section C wrote:For the application to be valid and complete, the applicant must provide his/her original current passport or travel document unless it is not available for one of the reasons specified on the application form. If the applicant has a current grant of leave on a BRP he/she must also provide their BRP for the application to be valid and complete. The applicant should also provide all previous passports and/or travel documents that he/she has used to travel to and remain in the United Kingdom.
Tier 1 (PSW) application form -> Page 47 wrote:C9-C12 If the applicant’s current grant of leave was issued on a BRP he/she must also provide the BRP in order for the application to be valid, unless it is not available for one of the reasons specified on the application form.
It doesn't say every applicant must provide BRP details. It says every applicant who has been issued a BRP must provide BRP details unless there is specified reason for not doing so!

More often than not people make mistakes in their application or end up spending money on solicitors because they do not either read the information / guidance or read it without due care.

If you want to do it on your own, you can - all you need is patience, careful reading and a bit of self-confidence. Keep solicitor(s) as the last resort! IMHO ....

regards

Kamilla
Russia

Post by Kamilla » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:44 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
Kamilla wrote:Now I see that it is required for the PSW application
No it is not so.
Here is the quote from the application:
"Please give details of the applicant’s Biometric Residence Permit. Please note for the application to be valid and complete the applicant’s current Biometric Residence Permit must be provided, unless it is not available for one of the reasons specified on the application form.
Reasons for not enclosing: Lost, Stolen, Expired, Elswhere in UKBA"
It is not mentioned whether smb was issued the BRP or not.

Could you please confirm, that people, who put "I was not issued BRP" get the visa? Or have you had the same situation?
Thank you!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:57 pm

Unfortunately, you just proved my point.
sushdmehta wrote:More often than not people make mistakes in their application or end up spending money on solicitors because they do not either read the information / guidance or read it without due care.

You are quoting C9 of the application form, but you forgot to read what the guidance (at the end of the form) says regarding C9-C12. Not to mention that I have already, in my response above, quoted (from the very same guidance) explanatory text regarding the issue - which also you missed reading.

regards

Kamilla
Russia

Post by Kamilla » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:55 am

sushdmehta wrote:Unfortunately, you just proved my point.
sushdmehta wrote:More often than not people make mistakes in their application or end up spending money on solicitors because they do not either read the information / guidance or read it without due care.

You are quoting C9 of the application form, but you forgot to read what the guidance (at the end of the form) says regarding C9-C12. Not to mention that I have already, in my response above, quoted (from the very same guidance) explanatory text regarding the issue - which also you missed reading.

regards
My bad! I did miss it.
Thank you so much!

varunkv
Newly Registered

Post by varunkv » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Hey guys,

A lot of my friends obtained their PSW visas through an immigration solicitor in a single day (they seem to have prebooked appointments). That particular solicitor is not in town at present. Can anyone suggest a reliable and cost effective solicitor for the same?

shani84
Newly Registered

Post by shani84 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:50 am

varunkv wrote:Hey guys,

A lot of my friends obtained their PSW visas through an immigration solicitor in a single day (they seem to have prebooked appointments). That particular solicitor is not in town at present. Can anyone suggest a reliable and cost effective solicitor for the same?
I noe a gud affordable lawyer
U wana go through ??