ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Buying a car under Indian License

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

baba1
Newly Registered

Buying a car under Indian License

Post by baba1 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:24 pm

Dear all,

Just to know if I can buy a car under indian license during the 1st year of my stay in the UK???

Warm Regards,

Baba1

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: Buying a car under Indian License

Post by Chess » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:43 pm

baba1 wrote:Dear all,

Just to know if I can buy a car under indian license during the 1st year of my stay in the UK???

Warm Regards,

Baba1
You dont need a license to buy a car
Where there is a will there is a way.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:39 pm

Chess is right, no driving licence required. But these days don't be surprised if you are asked for ID from the seller.

But also appreciate that you need to disclose every relevant fact to the insurance company you are asking to insure the car. So the fact that you have an Indian licence, and not a British licence (yet), might make it more difficult or expensive to get that insurance.
John

simantadatta

Do I need "International Driving Permit" ?

Post by simantadatta » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:08 pm

5 years past since the OP, so wanted to check if it's still the case that u dont need a license (indian or uk) to buy a car ?

I checked in Confused.com and I am getting insurance with Indian licence (3 yrs old) and the rates are cheaper than a 0.5 yr old UK licence. Ofcourse, I didn't finalize any claim yet (as I haven't bought a car still).

Q1 - So, again, what is needed to buy a car from the dealer ?

Q2 - And, as long as my licence is written in english, is an "International Driving Permit" required ? Surprisingly, I saw "Enterprise" car rental asking for IDP on their website... until now I thought IDP is useless in UK as your INDIAN licence is written in english.

seglob111
Newly Registered

Do I need "International Driving Permit" ?

Post by seglob111 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:22 am

Hi friend's,
I,m Indian an If i'm going to shift in London. Is their an law that i must have an "International Driving Permit" or i will getting a permit of that state....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Advertising deleted by Moderator]

Idea

Re: Do I need "International Driving Permit" ?

Post by Idea » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:18 pm

simantadatta wrote:5 years past since the OP, so wanted to check if it's still the case that u dont need a license (indian or uk) to buy a car ?

I checked in Confused.com and I am getting insurance with Indian licence (3 yrs old) and the rates are cheaper than a 0.5 yr old UK licence. Ofcourse, I didn't finalize any claim yet (as I haven't bought a car still).

Q1 - So, again, what is needed to buy a car from the dealer ?

Q2 - And, as long as my licence is written in english, is an "International Driving Permit" required ? Surprisingly, I saw "Enterprise" car rental asking for IDP on their website... until now I thought IDP is useless in UK as your INDIAN licence is written in english.
ans to q1 : money, name and address
ans to q2 : you need idp

Idea

Post by Idea » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:21 pm

seglob111 wrote:Hi friend's,
I,m Indian an If i'm going to shift in London. Is their an law that i must have an "International Driving Permit" or i will getting a permit of that state....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Advertising deleted by Moderator]
could u explain what u mean by 'permit of state' ?

-as far as i know, uk has only one license (2 stages -provisional and full)

simantadatta

Post by simantadatta » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Idea wrote:
simantadatta wrote:ans to q2 : you need idp

You do not need IDP for car rental as long as licence is written in english, but some insurance companies need idp (even though explicitly doesn't say that)

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:48 pm

yup there is no need for an International Driving License...rental agencies or even car show rooms have no way of knowing how long you have been here and honestly, they dont give 2 cents about it

If you have a driving license you can rent a car. Regarding buying a car, if you pay cash upfront, like you do for 2nd hand cars, then no one cares. IF you want to go for a high end car and thus get some finance for it, then its the financing partner who require certain things in place and if you are resident in the UK, dont have a really bad credit history and in employment then there's nothing to worry about.

Bottom line - other than the cops, when in an accident, no one cares about your license. And even if in an accident, if you are insured, then from my personal experience, no one asks a single word about your license

PS : Just dont kill someone by driving, thats a totally different ball game. But even then, if you had been insured, you wont be sentenced to life imprisonment :-)

KP

Idea

Post by Idea » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:18 pm

simantadatta wrote:
Idea wrote:
simantadatta wrote:ans to q2 : you need idp

You do not need IDP for car rental as long as licence is written in english, but some insurance companies need idp (even though explicitly doesn't say that)
i'll rephrase - to drive legally u need uk license or idp.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:34 pm

simantadatta wrote:You do not need IDP for car rental as long as licence is written in english, but some insurance companies need idp (even though explicitly doesn't say that)
Eventually it may be the car insurer who restricts what driving licences are acceptable for a car rental agency. I once had trouble renting a van (on the day we moved to another property!) because the contract mentioned at one point that a full UK licence was needed. I only got the van because the whole contract was so insanely self-contradictory (accepting other driving licenses at some other point in the contract and saying different things on the web page I booked the vehicle) that the agent decided to just let me go. (The van was actually not one of theirs and they only acted as intermediary for another rental agency. Would it have been one of theirs I would have had no problem with the licence.)

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:54 am

kenfrapin wrote: Bottom line - other than the cops, when in an accident, no one cares about your license. And even if in an accident, if you are insured, then from my personal experience, no one asks a single word about your license
Not just when you have an accident. You don't have to carry the licence, but you can be asked for it by a police officer, and not just after an accident! IF you don't have it on you, you might be given a "producer", and then you have to present it at a police station within 7 days.

I've never had an accident, but I have been asked for my licence.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:57 am

avjones wrote: Not just when you have an accident. You don't have to carry the licence, but you can be asked for it by a police officer, and not just after an accident!
Yes agreed. Cops only have the right to stop you if you break the law and this can be any driving law you break. So when the cops stop you, they ask for the license. When you present your Indian license, as long as you are not in the DVLA system and dont have a provisional one already applied for, the policeman has no way of knowing how long you have been driving using an international license.

KP

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:34 pm

kenfrapin wrote:
avjones wrote: Not just when you have an accident. You don't have to carry the licence, but you can be asked for it by a police officer, and not just after an accident!
Yes agreed. Cops only have the right to stop you if you break the law and this can be any driving law you break. So when the cops stop you, they ask for the license. When you present your Indian license, as long as you are not in the DVLA system and dont have a provisional one already applied for, the policeman has no way of knowing how long you have been driving using an international license.

KP
that is far from good advice, though. You're suggesting breaking the law and hoping to get away with it.

In my junior days, I represented a fair few people charged with driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence, and therefore no insurance, either.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:42 pm

No Im not actually and let me substantiate it further -
When I called the DVLA and put this question to them the answer I got was - You can use your license for 12months after which you must get a UK license.
I then asked them if I was here just for 11months, went for a 40 day break and then returned, will the clock reset and the person told me most likely as the law only states - continuous period of 12 months. Not very happy with the reply, I spoke to 2 more individuals and voila, got similar replies.

This was in 2008 though. Recently when I checked, the law seems to now be amended to state - 12 months from becoming resident in the UK - but even then, its all very hazy.

Finally, if insurers are ready to cover you and you drive perfectly well on the roads then dont see the issue especially when the DVLA themselves are not too sure on the matter. There are insurance companies who give you complete cover on international licenses. Unless they come back in 12months and tell you the cover is void then there is no legal issue. I dont recommend it but the OP asked CAN I and hence my replies.....

I would always say be legal and stay safe, but when there are other legal options as well, one is free to try them out. I had a car for about 20 months with a big break in between and then got rid of it :-)

Regards
KP

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:53 pm

kenfrapin wrote:
This was in 2008 though. Recently when I checked, the law seems to now be amended to state - 12 months from becoming resident in the UK - but even then, its all very hazy.

Finally, if insurers are ready to cover you and you drive perfectly well on the roads then dont see the issue especially when the DVLA themselves are not too sure on the matter.
It doesn't matter whether or not the DVLA is clear on the matter. The police and the Magistrates' Court are in no doubt whatsoever about it.

Road Traffic Act 1988 s.88(5)

Regulations may provide that a person who becomes resident in Great Britain shall, during the prescribed period after he becomes so resident, be treated for the purposes of section 87 of this Act as the holder of a licence authorising him to drive motor vehicles of the prescribed classes if—

(a)he satisfies the prescribed conditions, and

(b)he is the holder of a permit of the prescribed description authorising him to drive vehicles under the law of a country outside the United Kingdom.

After that, you have to have a UK licence. And the period has been set as 12 months.

Neilkevin
Newly Registered

Post by Neilkevin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:51 am

Hi Friends, I am from Sydney and moving to UK for four years. I am having local driving license and applying for IDP. Is it necessary to apply it from my home country? Any advice appreciated.
Last edited by Neilkevin on Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

thelionking
BANNED

Post by thelionking » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:05 pm

Neilkevin wrote:Hi Friends, I am from Sydney and moving to UK for four years. I am having local driving license and applying for IDP. Is it necessary to apply it from my home country? Any advice appreciated.
Yeah, your RTA would issue it, since they issued your original license first. But Australian license is in English and you don;t really need an IDP, the aussie one is perfectly acceptable here in UK.

simantadatta

Post by simantadatta » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:30 pm

Few things

1. You don't need IDP to drive legally in UK as long as your licence is in english

2. It's 12 months since first time you became resident of UK, but then the DVLA reps will tell you that the clock resets if you are outside of UK for 3 months.

3. Few insurance companies would not honor foreign licence (e.g. tesco), few companies would honor them only if you have IDP, but very vaugue policy, no one really knows (e.g. Quinndirect), and few companies would honor your foreign licence (e.g Aviva)

4. For the last 2 types of insurance companies, the premium DOES NOT increase (or very small amount) for having a foreign licence. If you "upgrade" from a 5 yrs old Foreign licence to a 1 day old UK licence, you PAY MORE !

All these are my opinion which I am sure are right, but may not really be as the laws in UK are very vaugue with little enforcement ! When you are caught up in an accident, there's only a little chance you will have any issue as long as you have a policy... unless an insurance company ask you to send them your licence copy and passport entry stamps !

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Buying a car under Indian License

Post by aliq09 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:11 pm

baba1 wrote:Dear all,

Warm Regards,

Baba1
Hi ,

Make it simple mate ... just get your international license and put in your pocket around a 1000 pounds .. just go and buy the ride :)))) yes! please make sure after a 1 year you have your full uk license

best of luck!
Thanks

Ali