ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Frustrated after taking test and interview

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RobSg
Newly Registered

Frustrated after taking test and interview

Post by RobSg » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:37 am

I would really appreciate if any of you could assist and perhaps alleviate some frustration. It is really urgent. I am writing this for a friend of mine, a Chinese national, who has worked in Canada for the past three years in Montreal. His English is alright, but I told him I would write this for him.

My friend, Lee, has lived in Canada for more than three years, and from the first day he arrived, he has had an excellent job in Montreal. During the last three years, his company asked him to take several trips to China with his Canadian colleagues to do company related business, and I guess this was not documented the way it should have been. He has just taken the "Citizenship Test", and during the interview the Immigration official in Montreal questioned those trips. He suspects he submitted his citizenship paper too early assuming that business trips did not affect his residency. It has him very frustrated, and frankly, I do not blame him. Apparently when you take trips, even business related ones with a Canadian company, this may not count toward the 3 years time in Canada. This week, 4 days after the interview, the Immigration Department has requested that he submit more documents from his company and verification from his landlord. All this has him worried.

In addition, after he was able to apply for citizenship, he decided to visit his friends in Singapore for a few months while his case was being processed. He used to live in Singapore before, so he has many friends. He heard that it was perfectly ok to travel after all the paperwork is submitted. About 2 weeks ago in Singapore he received the exciting news from Montreal Immigration that he should take his "test" and interview. He immediately flew back. As already mentioned, during the interview the immigration officer questioned his Chinese trips. Personally, I'm surprised that this was mentioned so late in the process. Should he be worried? Will he have to wait many more months for his citizenship? He will send 50 pages of papers ranging from leases, telephone bill receipts, and a letter from his company, and anything else he has saved to the Montreal Immigration Department. He plans on sending that as soon as possible. After all that, he wants to fly to Singapore later in the week again for a month or two to be with his closest friends. He is sharing an apartment with a fellow immigrant in Montreal, so when he hears from immigration about a date to take the "Oath" he will immediately fly back.

Here are my questions: Anyone else get delayed and you ended up worrying for no reason? And is it ok to leave Canada to visit friends while everything is being processed?

Dominion
Newly Registered

Post by Dominion » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:55 pm

How is your friend so worry about it when he keeps living outside Canada?

Usually business travel outside Canada or working abroad for a Canadian company is an allowable exception to the physical residence requirement. It must be very well documented, and show clear ties to Canada, e.g paying taxes here. However, if he is in doubt that period of time would work against him, why does he remain out of the country!!!!!!!!!

"Visiting" another country for three months or more sounds like he is residing there and not here. Nonetheless, if he was scheduled for the test is because immigration already consideres that he meets the minimum requirements for citizenship.