ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

REC/NIT issue - Claiming points for Academic Qualification

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hvaidya
Newly Registered

REC/NIT issue - Claiming points for Academic Qualification

Post by hvaidya » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi,

I am planning to file a Tier 1 application during 1st week of December. While preparing my application, I have few doubts. Can someone please help me with these:

1) Claiming points for academic Qualification: I have done my BTECH from Regional Engineering College (presently NIT), my
college is listed in the points based calculator on the HO website with NIT name; however, I hold my degree certificate
with the XYZ university (to which our REC was accredited before becoming NIT). Will this be acceptable when I file
my application or do I need to get a separate letter from college/NARIC clarifying this?
2) Since I am married, do I need to produce a marriage certificate at the time of my application, even if I am not
planning to take my spouse along during my initial stay?

Please help.

Himanshu.

manojk005

Re: REC/NIT issue - Claiming points for Academic Qualificati

Post by manojk005 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:33 pm

hvaidya wrote:Hi,

I am planning to file a Tier 1 application during 1st week of December. While preparing my application, I have few doubts. Can someone please help me with these:

1) Claiming points for academic Qualification: I have done my BTECH from Regional Engineering College (presently NIT), my
college is listed in the points based calculator on the HO website with NIT name; however, I hold my degree certificate
with the XYZ university (to which our REC was accredited before becoming NIT). Will this be acceptable when I file
my application or do I need to get a separate letter from college/NARIC clarifying this?
2) Since I am married, do I need to produce a marriage certificate at the time of my application, even if I am not
planning to take my spouse along during my initial stay?

Please help.

Himanshu.
Who awarded your degree? It must be university rather than REC. Now their name has changed and can award degree but your degree certificate remain same. There was no NIT when you graduated so no chance of selecting a non-existing uni! Hence, I will suggest to select university rather than NIT. Anyway, your university name must be present in PBS calculator. Atleast it awards point for my degree (done at old REC) though I have used higher qualification obtained in the UK for my application.

UKBA is not interested in how reputed your university is! For them Bachelor degree issued by Cambridge Uni and XYZ university in Afghanistan/Somalia is same as long as NARIC says so.

hvaidya
Newly Registered

RE:

Post by hvaidya » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:39 am

Thanks for your opinion Manoj...

XYZ university awarded my degree.... however, presently NIT awards the degree. There are many colleges which are under XYZ university and are listed in PBS with the college name, so I was wondering whether I should chose the University name or my college name (now listed as NIT).
Moreover if I chose the University name, shall I obtain a certificate from NARIC, or if I chose the NIT name, shall I get a written confirmation from my college stating this name change from REC (degree affiliated from XYZ) to NIT?

Any pointers to my second doubt
"2) Since I am married, do I need to produce a marriage certificate at the time of my application, even if I am not
planning to take my spouse along during my initial stay?"

manojk005

Re: RE:

Post by manojk005 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:24 am

hvaidya wrote:Thanks for your opinion Manoj...

XYZ university awarded my degree.... however, presently NIT awards the degree. There are many colleges which are under XYZ university and are listed in PBS with the college name, so I was wondering whether I should chose the University name or my college name (now listed as NIT).
Moreover if I chose the University name, shall I obtain a certificate from NARIC, or if I chose the NIT name, shall I get a written confirmation from my college stating this name change from REC (degree affiliated from XYZ) to NIT?

Any pointers to my second doubt
"2) Since I am married, do I need to produce a marriage certificate at the time of my application, even if I am not
planning to take my spouse along during my initial stay?"
In my opinion, you should choose your university name as it awards degree. As long as your university degree is accepted by UKBA, you are fine. If you select you NIT then how you will prove that degree was awarded by NIT when you graduated? NIT did not exist at that time. In this way, you will make your application complex. You should make it as simple as possible.

There is no harm in providing marriage certificate with your application as they may see or may not.