ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SOME OF YOU THOUGHT ABOUT THIS...

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MEEKAS
Newly Registered

SOME OF YOU THOUGHT ABOUT THIS...

Post by MEEKAS » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:07 am

I know that Canada is a first world nation and that jobs are abundant over there, but the wait is so long, the hassle is immense and the treatment is generally bad, not counting the study certifications from Indian State not accepted in Canadian soil. And you guys are known to be a very good people, any of you thought about going to a laidback country like Brasil, where immigration is easier and isn´t as cold as Canada, just curious about your thoughts...( it´s not only for indians. Asians in general!)

Dominion
Newly Registered

Post by Dominion » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:47 pm

Sir, I strongly suggest you to check Brazil's crime statistics, unemployment, income level and living standards. By no means, with all due respect to Brazilians, you can compare Canada to Brazil.

Note that Canada is an open and diverse society with clear immigration policies. In Brazil, unless you learn to dance samba, play soccer, and become a Christian speaking Portuguese you will never blend with the local population.

motorbyke
Newly Registered

Post by motorbyke » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:00 pm

Language seems to be the main hurdle followed by professional jobs.

BTW, I dont mind going to any country with moderate crime rate and good chances of finding a good job.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Thu May 25, 2006 8:10 am

Dominion wrote:In Brazil, unless you learn to dance samba, play soccer, and become a Christian speaking Portuguese you will never blend with the local population.
I am Brazilian and you misrepresented facts.

We have had huge African immigration as slaves (thanks to the Portuguese & British), Japanese immigration (the biggest worldwide) and also huge Lebanesese / Arabic immigration over the years. None of these people originally spoke Portuguese or danced samba as you state, and nor were they Christians. We are totally integrated as a nation, and do not unlike you suggest have any social or facial discrimination based on place of origin. They did blend in with the "local people" - we are a very tolerant nation, and there is not such concept of "us" and "them".

Other Christian nations (who did not dance samba, or spoke Portuguese) have formed what Brazil is today (Spain, the Netherlands, Italy, Germany and some of the Eastern European countries). Needless to say, the Portuguese who originally colonised Brazil, did not dance samba either.

Samba is an influence brought to Brazil by the African slaves, who to our benefit and cultural richness, influenced our religion, music, and sporting talents.

Contrary to your belief, Brazilians who are educated and in the middle classes enjoy a very good standard of living, with access to one of the best healthcare in the world via their private medical plans - and also enjoy European style education for their children (our education system is based on the French model). Our services (electricity, gas, motorways, healthcare, housing, etc) are world class and certainly comparable to, or better than, many countries I have visited.

In the UK, which is my adopted country, we have many issues of criminality (knife crime is a problem in many areas of London and other big cities, drugs which come from Afghanistan, organised crime, car crime, etc). I will be very surprised to learn of a perfect nation.

Do not be fooled to think that all of us live in shanty towns or are highly uneducated.

I do agree that we have issues with criminality. I am not making excuses to Brazilian statistics of crime, and that poses a threat to the ordinary man or woman, but please do get your facts right before you post.

darko

Post by darko » Thu May 25, 2006 2:30 pm

Canada: GNI per capita: US $28,310 (World Bank, 2006)
Brazil: GNI per capita: US $3,000 (World Bank, 2006)

I think there is no need to look at anything else since potential immigrants move to other countries primarily for higher wages and higher living standards those wages can provide.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Thu May 25, 2006 2:40 pm

I never disputed the fact that Canada is richer, wealthier and more "developed" than Brazil. Your figures are a direct result of that.

Just setting the record straight in two areas:

a. what I believe was an unfair comment (Discrimination in Brazil against those for whom Samba, Catholicism and Portuguese are alien concepts). Please check my original post.

b. middle & upper classes live just as well off as in many developed western nations.

There is a severe situation of poverty in Brazil - that is not to be denied.

The skew provided by Income per Capita distorts that. As any statitician would tell you.
Last edited by Rogerio on Thu May 25, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golauk

Post by Golauk » Thu May 25, 2006 3:51 pm

The comparison of per capita income in US dollars are baseless as the living costs in developed countries are much higher than developing countries

Moreover it is a two way process if we migrated for better salaries then the developed countries like Canada desperately needs immigrant, in order to maintain their "Developed" status...

regards

golaUk
God is Great!

darko

Post by darko » Thu May 25, 2006 8:19 pm

Rogerio: yep, not arguing about that at all. I don't know much about samba discrimination. :D

Golauk,
I guess we could use CIA fact book to get purchasing power parity figures:
GDP - per capita (PPP):
Canada - $32,900 (2005 est.)
Brazil - $8,400 (2005 est.)
[Source]
Despite Brazil's significant recent advances, the poorest one-fifth of Brazil's 182 million people account for only a 2.4% share of the national income. Brazil is second only to South Africa in a world ranking of income inequality. According to 2001 data, almost one-fifth of the population live on less than US$2 a day and 8% live on less than US$1 a day. Brazil's Northeast contains the single largest concentration of rural poverty in Latin America.
[Source]

Golauk

Post by Golauk » Fri May 26, 2006 9:32 am

darko

Stats are always deceptive, i can provide you with loads of misleading facts. We only want to view stats in a way we like. Ground realities are completely different from stats. I do not argue that brazil is not poorer than canada but still people are living in brazil and they are mostly content with their life.

regards

GolaUk :P
God is Great!