ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will my child be entitled to Irish citizenship?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jhbmike

Will my child be entitled to Irish citizenship?

Post by jhbmike » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Scenario - My great grandfather was born in Ireland and was an Irish citizen, my Mother is Irish through the foreign birth register but was born outside of Ireland. I am Irish through Naturalisation based on descent and my son is Irish through Naturalisation.
I have subsequently left Ireland. If we had a baby born outside of Ireland would that child be entitled to Irish citizenship?

fatty patty

Re: Will my child be entitled to Irish citizenship?

Post by fatty patty » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:36 pm

jhbmike wrote:Scenario - My great grandfather was born in Ireland and was an Irish citizen, my Mother is Irish through the foreign birth register but was born outside of Ireland. I am Irish through Naturalisation based on descent and my son is Irish through Naturalisation.
I have subsequently left Ireland. If we had a baby born outside of Ireland would that child be entitled to Irish citizenship?
Ofcourse he/she is going to be Irish because one of his/her parents is.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:57 am

Are you sure? How many generations of descendants does citizenship pass down to?

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:18 am

PaperPusher wrote:Are you sure? How many generations of descendants does citizenship pass down to?
the op, as father of the child, is irish himself. the child does not even need to look at his/her grandmother, never mnd great grandfather. the child will be irish.there is no distinction made between naturalised or irish born parents in the act when dealing with child

generatons, normally grandparent. here, this will occur via both grandmother and parent

just make sure you have all the documents for registration

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:00 am

Thanks for all the responses so far. However I would like to draw youre attention to this website http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html, and in particular this statement - If your parent derived Irish citizenship in another manner, for example, through marriage, adoption or naturalisation, further information can be obtained from your nearest Irish embassy or consulate.

I know that if I have a child born in Ireland that yes the child is definatly entitled straight away to Irish citizenship. However the child will not be born in Ireland. Does this pose a different set of rules???????[/u]

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:21 am

Sorry link doesnt seem to be working so ive just copied and pasted the relevent info off the citizens info website.

Irish citizenship through birth or descent

Information

Irish citizenship through birth or descent is a complex area. This document aims to explain the law regarding Irish citizenship as clearly as possible. It includes information regarding children born to foreign nationals, foreign births and registration procedures. Information regarding Irish citizenship through birth, descent, naturalisation and following marriage is always available from your nearest Irish embassy or consulate.
Rules
Citizenship through birth in Ireland

If you were born in Ireland and your parent(s) were Irish citizens, then you are also an Irish citizen.

However, in certain circumstances some people born in Ireland have to claim Irish citizenship. You can find more details about claiming Irish citizenship through special declaration in 'Further information' below.

Under the provisions of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 2004, children born of certain foreign national parents on or after 1 January 2005 are not automatically entitled to Irish citizenship. A child born in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 is entitled to Irish citizenship if they have a British parent or a parent who is entitled to live in Northern Ireland or the Irish State without restriction on their residency. Other foreign national parents of children born in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 must prove that they have a genuine link to Ireland. This will be evidenced by being resident legally in the island of Ireland for at least 3 out of the previous 4 years immediately before the birth of the child. On proof of a genuine link to Ireland their child will be entitled to Irish citizenship and can apply for a certificate of nationality - see 'How to apply' below.

If either of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, then you are automatically an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth.

So, if you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was himself or herself born in Ireland, then you are an Irish citizen.

If your parent derived Irish citizenship in another manner, for example, through marriage, adoption or naturalisation, further information can be obtained from your nearest Irish embassy or consulate.

If the parent through whom you derive Irish citizenship was deceased at the time of your birth, but would have been an Irish citizen if alive at that time, you are also an Irish citizen. Also, you derive citizenship through an Irish parent whether or not your parents were married to each other at the time of your birth.

If you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was himself or herself born outside Ireland and if any of your grandparents was born in Ireland, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen. However before you can claim Irish citizenship, you must have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register, which is maintained by the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs - see 'How to apply' below. If you live abroad, you must apply to have your birth registered through your nearest Irish embassy or consular office. If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration - not from the date when you were born

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:44 am

jhbmike wrote:Thanks for all the responses so far. However I would like to draw youre attention to this website http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html, and in particular this statement - If your parent derived Irish citizenship in another manner, for example, through marriage, adoption or naturalisation, further information can be obtained from your nearest Irish embassy or consulate.

I know that if I have a child born in Ireland that yes the child is definatly entitled straight away to Irish citizenship. However the child will not be born in Ireland. Does this pose a different set of rules???????[/u]
The OP's family did not obtain citizenship via marriage, adoption or naturalisation. It was through descent. Different situation - descent is not techincallly naturalisation. Descent is kind of authomatic

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:01 am

Hi jhbmike,

If it's not going to be too much hazel, why not arrange for your wife to come back to Ireland and have the baby. That way you can be sure that any potential snag would be avoided.

Btw, I didn't realize you've left Ireland. Hope it's a lot 'sunnier' wherever you are. Have a nice day mate.

9j

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:34 am

9jeirean wrote:Hi jhbmike,

If it's not going to be too much hazel, why not arrange for your wife to come back to Ireland and have the baby. That way you can be sure that any potential snag would be avoided.

Btw, I didn't realize you've left Ireland. Hope it's a lot 'sunnier' wherever you are. Have a nice day mate.

9j
Hi 9j
Yeah my wife got an attractive promotion and relocation offer with her company to Gran Canaria. My son is already in a spanish school and speaking the lingo. Great lifestyle here.
About travelling to Dublin to give birth, I was already thinking that if it would be a problem to give birth to the baby here, then yes we would have to bite the bullet and make arrangements to come over, however im hoping to get some clarification on this matter as to come to Dublin to have a baby would be a logistical nightmare.

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:40 am

walrusgumble wrote:
jhbmike wrote:Thanks for all the responses so far. However I would like to draw youre attention to this website http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html, and in particular this statement - If your parent derived Irish citizenship in another manner, for example, through marriage, adoption or naturalisation, further information can be obtained from your nearest Irish embassy or consulate.

The OP's family did not obtain citizenship via marriage, adoption or naturalisation. It was through descent. Different situation - descent is not techincallly naturalisation. Descent is kind of authomatic
My family ie Mother didnt get her citizenship through naturalisation, she got it through the FBR. However I obtained my citizenship through naturalisation on the basis of descent which meant that the minister waived the time period.

My thinking is- Because I wasnt born in Ireland and my mother wasnt born in Ireland the child would not automatically be an Irish citizen if born outside of Ireland. Possibly citizenship would be obtained through the FBR, but im not sure!!!!!

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:52 am

Got this info off the foreign affairs website.

A person born abroad to a parent who, although not born in Ireland, was otherwise an Irish citizen at the time of the person’s birth, can become an Irish citizen by applying for Foreign Births Registration, either to the Irish Diplomatic or Consular Mission nearest to where the applicant normally resides or, if resident in Ireland, to:

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:19 am

9jeirean wrote:If it's not going to be too much hazel, why not arrange for your wife to come back to Ireland and have the baby. That way you can be sure that any potential snag would be avoided.
Or have the baby born in Northern Ireland and be automatically an Irish citizen and a British citizen..
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:12 pm

delete

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:10 pm

jhbmike wrote:Scenario - My great grandfather was born in Ireland and was an Irish citizen, my Mother is Irish through the foreign birth register but was born outside of Ireland. I am Irish through Naturalisation based on descent and my son is Irish through Naturalisation.
Yes. But you will have to apply to your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate to apply for Foreign Births Registration. You can pass your Irish Citizenship on to any children that you have outside of the island of Ireland via the FBR process.

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:12 pm

PaperPusher wrote:Are you sure? How many generations of descendants does citizenship pass down to?
Infinite, provided that each generation are registered on the FBR before the birth of the next subsequent generation.

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:04 pm

doesnotcompute wrote:
Yes. But you will have to apply to your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate to apply for Foreign Births Registration. You can pass your Irish Citizenship on to any children that you have outside of the island of Ireland via the FBR process.
Spoke to the Irish consulate in Las palmas today and they confirmed this to be correct.

HSE

Post by HSE » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Dear Jhb,

wel llet me put similar kind of scenario but still would like to clarify.

my and mrs are irish via naturalisation and if some one had a baby born in uk then what will be the implications.

will we have to register with foreign birth register in the irish embassy ?

whats people opinion about it

btw when the baby due?and good luck..

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:51 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 pm

HSE wrote:Dear Jhb,

my and mrs are irish via naturalisation and if some one had a baby born in uk then what will be the implications.

Yes, you would have to register your baby's birth with the Citizenship section of the Irish Embassy in London.

Your child might also be eligbile for British citizenship, although I'm not sure about that. There's also a chance that your baby may be entitled to the citizenship of you and/or your wife.

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:36 am

HSE wrote:Dear Jhb,

btw when the baby due?and good luck..
My understanding of it is that you would have to register with the FBR. Baby will become Irish from the date of registration, not from date of birth.

Also check because im not sure but I think that the baby might also be entitled to British citizenship, just as if a british person had a baby in Ireland would be eligible for Irish citizenship.

Baby still a few months to go and thatnks for the kind wishes. Best of luck to yourself aswell.