ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married Work Permit Holder applying for ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chetkav
Newly Registered

Married Work Permit Holder applying for ILR

Post by chetkav » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:11 pm

My wife is on U.K. Work permit valid for 5 years (Valid till April 2007).She came in the U.K. in April 2002. We got married in India in May 2005. We entered Uk together in June 2005 with my Visa status being Work Permit dependent valid till April 2007.
My questions are:
1) When can my wife apply for ILR?
2) Can we apply together for ILR?
3) what will my status be, if my wife gets ILR?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:38 pm

Using your numbering :-
  1. No earlier than 28 days prior to the fourth anniversary of her entering the UK on her employment visa back in April 2002
  2. Your wife will also enter your details on the SET(O) application form
  3. You will get ILR as well
But do note that whilst your wife appears to be eligible to apply for naturalisation some time in April 2007, the same will not apply to you. If she does go for naturalisation as British, you will be able to apply some time in June 2008, three years after you first entered the UK. Three years rather than five? Yes, because you will then be married to a British Citizen!
John

Want_ILR
Newly Registered

Post by Want_ILR » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:39 pm

Your wife can get ILR after 3 years and 11 months stay in the UK, provided she does not have too much gaps in her stay.

Your wife should apply and include you as a dependant. If her application is approved, you both will get ILR.

chetkav
Newly Registered

Post by chetkav » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:47 pm

I heard that from 03 April;2006, the rule is bening changed from 4 year stay to 5 years stay for eligibility to apply for ILR.

Is this true.

chetkav
Newly Registered

Post by chetkav » Wed May 03, 2006 1:47 pm

HURRY...both of us got ILR....we had applied through post. We got our passports back on 27th April. Within 4 weeks of date of sending by post!!!!!!

A VERY SPECIAL THANKS to JOHN and all those who posted replies to my queries.

I shall continue visiting the forum & shall help others on anything I know about. Keep the good Work Going!!!!

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Wed May 03, 2006 5:42 pm

chetkav wrote:HURRY...both of us got ILR....we had applied through post. We got our passports back on 27th April. Within 4 weeks of date of sending by post!!!!!!

A VERY SPECIAL THANKS to JOHN and all those who posted replies to my queries.

I shall continue visiting the forum & shall help others on anything I know about. Keep the good Work Going!!!!
Congratulations!! Next step naturalisation! Start studying for the exam!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed May 03, 2006 6:13 pm

chetkav, congratulations! But then, why not!

Naturalisation? As I posted on 28th February, your wife can apply in 2007 as soon as she has been in the UK for 5 years, and has had ILR for at least 1 year. You will need to wait a bit longer.

But nothing to stop the two of you studying for, and hopefully passing, the Citizenship Test together.
John