ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aj77

Post by aj77 » Tue May 02, 2006 9:36 pm

garichd wrote:
Its very long
Yea I agree with you.It should be short and to the point .Just inform them about the 4-5 year rule change and progress of efforts made .You can mention
1.Andrew Dismore has already agreed to be the spokesperson for the campaign in the House of Common.
http://www.dodonline.co.uk/engine.asp?l ... y&id=25638

He will submit a PUBLIC PETITION at the House of Common on the change of rules.
Public Petition is a special procedure at the parliament for the public to air their grievances. Although unlikely of getting a full debate at the common, the MP can make a statement on the petition in the Common. This would force the department responsible to investigate the grievances and lay a reply to the petition. Typically we will need to gather at least 1000 signatures for this to be of any significance, although, it is possible to submit the petition with less signatures.

2)You can also mention the following statics although these are not updated and according to current statistics 22 members have signed EDM
MP statistics for Anti-Retrospective Implementation of 4-5 Years Chenges Campaign
last update: 27/04/2006

total MPs: 646
total contacted: 34
replied / not replied: 33/1
wants to debate in parliament: 3
sent letter to HO: 11
got reply form HO: 2
signed EDMs: 14
can not / will not sign EDMs: 2

3.Inform them about LibDem Parliamentarians that they will have a debate on this
To this end we have laid a motion against these changes which we hope
to debate in committee before the deadline as stipulated by parliamentary
procedure (we anticipate this will be in the next month).

I will write to you again when the outcome of the committee is known.

Thank you for raising this vital issue with me.

Yours sincerely

sent on behalf of Nick Clegg MP
and request them to sign this petitition

http://www.558.net/resource/petition_le ... _years.doc

and get signs from other affectees as much as they can as this would have more impact as compared to any other method.Number of Affectees will matter at the end.
And ask them to send it either to you or to Christine Lee (Solicitor)
Director of North London Chinese Association
Unit 3, CBC, 126 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5HD

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Wed May 03, 2006 11:22 am

I have got information today that I have been invited to "question time" . There is opportunity to raise 2 questions, do you guys have any solid thought? Please provide to me by the end of today if you have. I think it is really a good opportunity for us to raise our concern directly to the MPs and other politicians. We might get more attention after this.

By the way, is there anyone else who also got invitation? If you have registered with BBC, you should get a call from them today.

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Wed May 03, 2006 11:42 am

this is detail of the programme

We have pleasure in confirming that you will be participating in the audience of
BBC Question Time
Hosted b
David Dimbleby
with
Rt. Hon. Margaret Beckett MP, Secretary of State for the Environment
Rt. Hon. William Hague MP, Shadow Foreign Secretary
Julia Goldsworthy MP, Liberal Democrat Chief Secretary to the Treasury
Richard Littlejohn, The Daily Mail
on
Thursday, 4th May 2006
at
Wathen Hall, St. Paul's School. Lonsdale Road, Barnes, London, SW13 9JT
Full details of car parking, rail and underground, including maps on their website: www.stpaulsschool.org.uk
Arrival time between 6.00 p.m and 6.30 p.m. departing at approx. 9.35 p.m.
Questions - Please prepare 2 questions to write out on arrival on the cards we provide - 30 words maximum.
We look forward to having a lively informative debate, please be ready to participate.
Many thanks,
Alison Fuller
Audience Producer
For BBC Question Time

a11

Post by a11 » Wed May 03, 2006 12:38 pm

I once took part in Question Time with LibDems. Shame it was before I became aware of the ILR issue...

I was amazed at how 'liberal' the atmosphere was. It was really possible to ask questions "on the spot", even if they were not shortlisted (and you were not selected for the "front row").

So I think you've really got a chance. The only issue being that those shortlisted somehow define the main topics for the discussion, and the host expects all the other questions to be relatively close to those main topics. So ideally, you need to try and get your question shortlisted. And if not, just seek any opportunity to ask, rephrasing it according to what seems most relevant.

Good luck!

andhraguy

Question Time ...

Post by andhraguy » Wed May 03, 2006 12:44 pm

I think the question will catch the eye of many ordinary people and politicians if we compare our issue with current hot topic 'Deportation of Illegal Immigrants'.

Question should be like this ,

- Why is govt imposing unfair and retrospective rules on HIGHLY SKILLED , LAW ABIDING , TAX PAYING , HARD WORKING immigrants who are significantly contributing for UK economy where as it is liberal on 'Illegal Immigrants or Criminals' by not deporting them ??

We want govt to punish Illegal Immigrants and criminals but NOT HIGHLY SKILLIED IMMIGRANTS.

How is it guys ..?? please comment.

Kavik

Re: Question Time ...

Post by Kavik » Wed May 03, 2006 1:23 pm

Excellent!!!

And we don't use any public funds also.
andhraguy wrote:I think the question will catch the eye of many ordinary people and politicians if we compare our issue with current hot topic 'Deportation of Illegal Immigrants'.

- Why is govt imposing unfair and retrospective rules on HIGHLY SKILLED , LAW ABIDING , TAX PAYING , HARD WORKING immigrants who are significantly contributing for UK economy where as it is liberal on 'Illegal Immigrants or Criminals' by not deporting them ??

We want govt to punish Illegal Immigrants and criminals but NOT HIGHLY SKILLIED IMMIGRANTS.

mahin1110

5 years for ILR rule implemented

Post by mahin1110 » Wed May 03, 2006 1:40 pm

I have written to my MP and he has written to HO. Waiting for reply. One of my friend's MP also written to HO as well and still waiting for reply.

Thanks
aj77 wrote:garichd wrote:
Its very long
Yea I agree with you.It should be short and to the point .Just inform them about the 4-5 year rule change and progress of efforts made .You can mention
1.Andrew Dismore has already agreed to be the spokesperson for the campaign in the House of Common.

Public Petition is a special procedure at the parliament for the public to air their grievances. Although unlikely of getting a full debate at the common, the MP can make a statement on the petition in the Common. This would force the department responsible to investigate the grievances and lay a reply to the petition. Typically we will need to gather at least 1000 signatures for this to be of any significance, although, it is possible to submit the petition with less signatures.

2)You can also mention the following statics although these are not updated and according to current statistics 22 members have signed EDM
MP statistics for Anti-Retrospective Implementation of 4-5 Years Chenges Campaign
last update: 27/04/2006

3.Inform them about LibDem Parliamentarians that they will have a debate on this
To this end we have laid a motion against these changes which we hope
to debate in committee before the deadline as stipulated by parliamentary
procedure (we anticipate this will be in the next month).

I will write to you again when the outcome of the committee is known.

Thank you for raising this vital issue with me.

Yours sincerely

and request them to sign this petitition

and get signs from other affectees as much as they can as this would have more impact as compared to any other method.Number of Affectees will matter at the end.
And ask them to send it either to you or to Christine Lee (Solicitor)

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Wed May 03, 2006 1:43 pm

:D :D keep your questions coming.

a11

Re: 5 years for ILR rule implemented

Post by a11 » Wed May 03, 2006 1:51 pm

I have written to my MP and he has written to HO. Waiting for reply. One of my friend's MP also written to HO as well and still waiting for reply.
Excellent! Perhaps we have the names of those MPs so we can add them to our list? (maintained by nonothing and available at immigrationboards.pochta.ru) Thanks!

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Wed May 03, 2006 1:58 pm

I am so touched today by Christine's team. They send me a letter + stamped evolop for me to send to my local MP!!

Big thanks!!

TotalZone
Newly Registered

Post by TotalZone » Wed May 03, 2006 5:36 pm

For the centralised excel sheet of communication with MPs :
(maintained by nonothing / tutu ??)
I have contacted my MP via EMail last week. Still waiting for the reply..
Constituency Wantage
Sitting MP Mr Edward Vaizey
Party Conservative
Will update you when I hear from his office.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Re: Question Time ...

Post by bbdivo » Wed May 03, 2006 5:39 pm

andhraguy wrote:I think the question will catch the eye of many ordinary people and politicians if we compare our issue with current hot topic 'Deportation of Illegal Immigrants'.

I would also change that to say:

......retrospective rules on HIGHLY SKILLED , LAW ABIDING , TAX PAYING , HARD WORKING immigrants who are significantly contributing for UK economy and who are potentially also voters..............

garichd

Post by garichd » Wed May 03, 2006 6:44 pm

aj77,

This is what I drafted.
Can you please proof read it.
Again looks like its getting very long..
any way to make it short. ?
Dear Friend,

You must be aware of the rule change for applying ILR (Indefinite leave to remain) from 4 years to 5 Years for immigrants who are under work related categories (Like WP or HSMP). These work related immigrants who are already in the UK set their life plans according to old rules and their life plans would be disturbed after this change.

The new system appears to be sensible and fair in almost all respects and we are not asking for the rules to be changed back to four years but retrospective application of a rule-change, which causes hardship, is unfair, arbitrary, and contrary to the legal and constitutional tradition of this great country and we are asking that the rules not be applied retrospectively so as not to affect current work permit or HSMP holders.

For more information on this topic please visit:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... sc&start=0

In fighting against the retrospective application of a rule-change below is the progress of efforts made.

1. Andrew Dismore has already agreed to be the spokesperson for the campaign in the House of Common.

2. According to current statistics 22 members have signed EDM
MP statistics for Anti-Retrospective Implementation of 4-5 Years Changes Campaign
Last update: 27/04/2006

3.LibDem Parliamentarians will have a debate on this :
To this end we have laid a motion against these changes, which we hope, to debate in committee before the deadline as stipulated by parliamentary procedure (we anticipate this will be in the next month). I will write to you again when the outcome of the committee is known. Thank you for raising this vital issue with me.
Yours sincerely
Please can you sign this petition

and get signs from other affecter’s as much as you can, as this would have more impact
and send to
Christine Lee (Solicitor)

Also please forward this mail to all of your friends and colleagues who are affected by this change.

Note: Please use BCC when forwarding this mail to friends and colleagues, as it will help stop spamming.

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Wed May 03, 2006 6:54 pm

I have got a reply from my MP [Margarett Moran - Labor]

She wrote to Mr McNulty (immigration minister). She forwarded me a letter signed by Mr McNulty's assistant. The letter seems to be very generic [sorry I couldn't type it entirely] - it simply mentioned that they are sorry for our situation but the rule will prevail anyway. However, they also mentioned that they are willing to listen to the public.

ansaggart
Newly Registered

Post by ansaggart » Wed May 03, 2006 7:32 pm

All,

I have received today a letter from my local MP, Mrs G Jackson with a letter from Mr Tony McNulty attached.

It summarizes as follows:

a. In respect to the paper "Controlling our Borders: the Five ....", during the consultation period between Feb and now the Government has not received any views on the change in the qualifying period for settlement.

b. The change is to line up with other countries.

c. The change does not affect anyone's right to remain and to work in the UK; anyone with valid leave to remain and who is continuing in employment will qualify to remain as before and should have no difficulty in completing the fifth year.

d. UK does not passes retrospective legislation. It passes legislation that takes effect from the date it is passed or later. This means that it applies to those who currently have leave to remain, but the effect that you describe (na Ms Jackson) would happen wherever and whatever circumstances we changed the qualifying period.

e. There is sympathy for anyone getting a mortgage but the lending policy of banks ..... is a matter for those organisations. It is not a Government requirement. Similarly, although local authorities have a residence policy when it comes to education there is no substantial change in the way that University places are allocated as a result of our change. Nevertheless, we are ready to listen to you about any unintended hardship that are directly instigated by this change - but for most areas of life, if not all, things will simply continue as usual.

Guys,

In order to reply to this letter, I would like to get your clear thoughts about:

1. hardship;
2. prove this change is retrospective;
3. AOB

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed May 03, 2006 8:50 pm

Ugh.

I'm sick and tired of these canned answers from Tony McNulty, Charles Clarke and their ilk. It seems like they've decided on a position and are holding tight. What really annoys me is how they insist that no one mentioned anything about changes to the residency period during the consultancies held between winter 2005 and now. That's completely false. What was the letter to Mr Clarke via my MP that I wrote raising precisely and specifically this issue in February 2005? Did a Home Secretary from an alternate universe write me back in May 2005 confirming to me that there would be no change to the rules for me? This is all utterly disheartening. History, and truth even, are evidently relative.

I still have my MP following up this issue with the Home OFfice, so I'm resigned to wait and see what becomes of her efforts. If anything, this whole process has, when not enraged me, cultivated a sublime level of patience.

Hidden dragon

Post by Hidden dragon » Wed May 03, 2006 11:03 pm

RobinLondon wrote:Ugh.

I'm sick and tired of these canned answers from Tony McNulty, Charles Clarke and their ilk. It seems like they've decided on a position and are holding tight. What really annoys me is how they insist that no one mentioned anything about changes to the residency period during the consultancies held between winter 2005 and now. That's completely false. What was the letter to Mr Clarke via my MP that I wrote raising precisely and specifically this issue in February 2005? Did a Home Secretary from an alternate universe write me back in May 2005 confirming to me that there would be no change to the rules for me? This is all utterly disheartening. History, and truth even, are evidently relative.

I still have my MP following up this issue with the Home OFfice, so I'm resigned to wait and see what becomes of her efforts. If anything, this whole process has, when not enraged me, cultivated a sublime level of patience.
What the HO did was:

(1) firstly, publish a Consultation on a Policy A (with a1= 4to5year change, a2, ... a3 as sub-heading) which would be applicable to a group of people (Group X).

(2) Then produce a seperate Policy B, based on a single sub-heading mentioned as a1 in the Consultation A, and then without consultation apply the Policy B to a new group of people (Group Y).

(3) Then the HO argues that Policy B has gone through the "consultation". .

NOTE: in above
Policy A = 5-year strategy
a1 = 4to5year change for Tier 1 and Tier 2
Group X = people "to" be under Tier 1 and Tier 2.
Group Y = current WP and HSMP holders.

IT IS CALLED CHEATING.
Trust and value ourselves, because we deserve it!

morerightsformigrants

Post by morerightsformigrants » Wed May 03, 2006 11:32 pm

i got a response today as well exactly like yours, still thinking what to reply to my MP any suggestions.

ansaggart wrote:All,

I have received today a letter from my local MP, Mrs G Jackson with a letter from Mr Tony McNulty attached.

a. In respect to the paper "Controlling our Borders: the Five ....", during the consultation period between Feb and now the Government has not received any views on the change in the qualifying period for settlement.

c. The change does not affect anyone's right to remain and to work in the UK; anyone with valid leave to remain and who is continuing in employment will qualify to remain as before and should have no difficulty in completing the fifth year.

d. UK does not passes retrospective legislation. It passes legislation that takes effect from the date it is passed or later. This means that it applies to those who currently have leave to remain, but the effect that you describe (na Ms Jackson) would happen wherever and whatever circumstances we changed the qualifying period.

e. There is sympathy for anyone getting a mortgage but the lending policy of banks ..... is a matter for those organisations. It is not a Government requirement. Similarly, although local authorities have a residence policy when it comes to education there is no substantial change in the way that University places are allocated as a result of our change. Nevertheless, we are ready to listen to you about any unintended hardship that are directly instigated by this change - but for most areas of life, if not all, things will simply continue as usual.

Guys,

In order to reply to this letter, I would like to get your clear thoughts about:

1. hardship;
3. AOB

Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter » Thu May 04, 2006 7:41 am

Considering how many illegal immigrants, those being convicted criminals, are running around without being deported this type of generic response is, well, I'm speechless. I have lived here for over six years as a working holiday maker, a student, and now HSMP holder without so much as a parking ticket, paid my taxes and conducted myself as an exemplary citizen (not technically a citizen yet I know) and the HO wants to keep moving the barriers for me? Again I am speechless.

GT :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Thu May 04, 2006 9:19 am

Hidden Dragon

Had to read what you proposed a few times to understand what you were saying but you are brilliant, you speak the HO language, you should pass this onto Tutu for her question time tonight and pass the info onto CL's team

Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter » Thu May 04, 2006 10:18 am

rooi_ding wrote:Hidden Dragon

Had to read what you proposed a few times to understand what you were saying but you are brilliant, you speak the HO language, you should pass this onto Tutu for her question time tonight and pass the info onto CL's team
Completely Agree!

slor
Newly Registered

Post by slor » Thu May 04, 2006 10:32 am

ansaggart wrote:All,

Guys,

1. hardship;
3. AOB
Well, I wrote a response to the claim that there was no feedback on the change to a five-year period by Mr. McNulty. True, the change in the qualifying period is referred to in the text of the consultation paper. However, the consultation paper did not in its feedback section give an opportunity to comment on the change to the qualifying period as all the questions were on the implementation of a points-based system. Also some scepticism about the claim ‘in line with the European norm.’ Please bother to implement a whole EC Directive, notably the requirement to count 1/2 of the time spent as a student to calculate the qualifying period, if you are going to do it… no response yet more than a month on.

----------
28 March 2006

Dear Mr. McNulty,

I have watched in dismay as the Home Office has lifted the requirement for settlement from 4 to 5 years for holders of an Immigration Employment Document in the UK with no opportunity for discussion or comment on this important change.

I am honoured to be part of the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme in the UK and I find great professional fulfilment here. Guidance on a 4-year path to settlement has been reinforced of the granting of limited leave to remain of an initial 1 year followed by an additional 3 years. I signed an oath pledging my future and skills to make to UK my main home. I would think that is it right and fair that the provisions of the scheme on which I was given leave to remain in the UK continue to apply.

I respectively appeal to you, the minister, to not retrospectively change these provisions of those of us who have been planning our lives around the 4-year path to settlement. It is of course not a massive disruption, but nevertheless an inconvenience as I have just finished my 3rd qualifying year in March 2006.

I was indeed sent and read your consultation paper, Making Migration Work for Britain last spring. I was comfortable with a points-based system (the HSMP of course is its precursor), and felt no obligation to comment. However, I did wish to comment on the extension of the qualifying time of settlement from 4 to 5 years for Tier 1 and 2 workers “converted” from HSMP and work permit holders. There was no opportunity given.

I also note that that you have quoted the norms established in Directive 2003/109/EC on third-party nationals who are long-term residents of the European Union as a reason to change to a 5-year settlement period. I would like to point out the method of calculation as set out in Article 4 permits applicants to count half of their time spent in the country for the purpose of full-time education towards the five year period provided the applicant is currently now in a category that leads to settlement. No translation of this is apparent in the new immigrant rules published this month. Perhaps it is because the UK is not bound to implement the directive and therefore it is inappropriate to quote it as a reason for changing to a 5-year settlement period!

Thanks for your time and I wish you good luck in the difficult job you have ahead reforming immigration policy and practice.

Regards

cc: Frank Dobson, MP for Holborn and St. Pancras

Hidden dragon

THE CENTRE OF THE ISSUE

Post by Hidden dragon » Thu May 04, 2006 9:58 pm

THE CENTRE OF THE ISSUE

I think the politicians are always very good at denying things, or just say "I disagree". So, I feel the only way to pin the HO and the government down is to highlight the "unfairness" of the change.

OK, the hardship might not be very severe for many of us, the retrospectivity might not be easy to prove from a legal point of view, but one thing the government cannot deny is: IT IS UNFAIR to change the rule in the mid-term and break promise! We have the rights to ask for a FAIR transitional policy that does not penalize our interest. WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO ASK FOR THIS, BECAUSE WE PAY THE TAX, which funds the government.

Our campaign is about hardship, retrospectivity; but fundamentally, the campaign is about fairness and integrity, two very fundamental British values. If we base our arguments on this basic principle, we can win support from a wider group of people and pin the government down.
Last edited by Hidden dragon on Thu May 04, 2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hidden dragon

LESSONS TO LEARN: DO WE HAVE A FAULT?

Post by Hidden dragon » Thu May 04, 2006 10:01 pm

LESSONS TO LEARN: DO WE HAVE A FAULT?

We as WP and HSMP should also learn the lessons from this current matter, which are:
(1)In the future, we need to pay more attention to politics and policies
(2)Right now, through the current campaign, we need to form our own organisation so that when we need to act to defend our interest, we can reach critical decisions and act in joined force.

We shall no longer dream of being treated fairly by this society, because no one is to help us if we don’t help ourselves. People who visit this forum are the ones who already realized the problem, so there is no need for me to dwell this issue on.

However, we do need to act more proactively, to make sure that other people who don’t visit this forum can be mobilised. If we don’t try to do this, we will suffer further humiliation. THAT IS REALLY WHAT WE CANNOT AFFORD.

garichd

Post by garichd » Thu May 04, 2006 10:15 pm

This is what I drafted for chain mail.
Can you please proof read it.
Again looks like its getting very long..
any way to make it short. ?
Dear Friend,

You must be aware of the rule change for applying ILR (Indefinite leave to remain) from 4 years to 5 Years for immigrants who are under work related categories (Like WP or HSMP). These work related immigrants who are already in the UK set their life plans according to old rules and their life plans would be disturbed after this change.

The new system appears to be sensible and fair in almost all respects and we are not asking for the rules to be changed back to four years but retrospective application of a rule-change, which causes hardship, is unfair, arbitrary, and contrary to the legal and constitutional tradition of this great country and we are asking that the rules not be applied retrospectively so as not to affect current work permit or HSMP holders.

For more information on this topic please visit:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... sc&start=0

In fighting against the retrospective application of a rule-change below is the progress of efforts made.

1. Andrew Dismore has already agreed to be the spokesperson for the campaign in the House of Common.

2. According to current statistics 22 members have signed EDM
MP statistics for Anti-Retrospective Implementation of 4-5 Years Changes Campaign
Last update: 27/04/2006

3.LibDem Parliamentarians will have a debate on this :
To this end we have laid a motion against these changes, which we hope, to debate in committee before the deadline as stipulated by parliamentary procedure (we anticipate this will be in the next month). I will write to you again when the outcome of the committee is known. Thank you for raising this vital issue with me.
Yours sincerely
Please can you sign this petition

and get signs from other affecter’s as much as you can, as this would have more impact
and send to
Christine Lee (Solicitor)

Also please forward this mail to all of your friends and colleagues who are affected by this change.

Note: Please use BCC when forwarding this mail to friends and colleagues, as it will help stop spamming.