ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR : working in an EU country etc.

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Zebrudaya

ILR : working in an EU country etc.

Post by Zebrudaya » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:34 am

Dear friends

Please I need your help. After I must have acquired ILR after 14 years stay, I plan to travel to an EU country and work/train for about a year. I have checked with the "search" facility but I couldn`t find any similar question. My question is this: am I allowed to move/work freely in the EU like anyone else if I have ILR?

Please the Gurus, moderators and other experienced people should help us here. Thank you.

litu1

Re: ILR : working in an EU country etc.

Post by litu1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:48 am

Zebrudaya wrote:Dear friends

Please I need your help. After I must have acquired ILR after 14 years stay, I plan to travel to an EU country and work/train for about a year. I have checked with the "search" facility but I couldn`t find any similar question. My question is this: am I allowed to move/work freely in the EU like anyone else if I have ILR?

Please the Gurus, moderators and other experienced people should help us here. Thank you.
I think No. For that u need British PassPort

Markie

Re: ILR : working in an EU country etc.

Post by Markie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:50 pm

ILR only applies in the UK. if you're a visa national to Schengen states then you'll still require a visa to work/visit these states as the UK is not a signatory to the Schengen treaty.
Zebrudaya wrote:Dear friends

Zebrudaya

Post by Zebrudaya » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:16 pm

Dear litu1 and Markie

Thank you for your replies. I was of the opinion that ILR confers a state of "virtual citizenship" to someone. The person is free to get social benefits etc. In the same vein, I expected the person to be free to travel and work in other EU countries. The UK is expected to explain this ILR state to any EU country that doesn`t understand its implication viz: that its recipients are treated as UK citizens in almost every aspect except that they don`t carry the UK passport until much later.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:54 pm

Sorry to say but that's just wishful thinking. It is the UK who wants to stay outside of Schengen.

jager

Post by jager » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:25 pm

86ti wrote:Sorry to say but that's just wishful thinking. It is the UK who wants to stay outside of Schengen.
Just to be clear: does this mean that long-term residents of countries that implemented 2003/109/EG do not enjoy extra rights in the UK, Ireland and Denmark, and long-term residents of the UK, Ireland and Denmark do not enjoy extra rights in countries that have ratified the agreement? Does it work both ways?

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: .

Post by 86ti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:27 pm

jager wrote:Just to be clear: does this mean that long-term residents of countries that implemented 2003/109/EG do not enjoy extra rights in the UK, Ireland and Denmark, and long-term residents of the UK, Ireland and Denmark do not enjoy extra rights in countries that have ratified the agreement? Does it work both ways?
Yes, that is it doesn't work in either direction.