ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Hidden dragon

Post by Hidden dragon » Fri May 05, 2006 12:32 am

garichd wrote:This is what I drafted for chain mail.
Can you please proof read it.
Again looks like its getting very long..
any way to make it short. ?
The Chain Email is a brilliant idea.

It is difficult to use one email to introduce the background, present the arguments, report the progress and request actions and keep it short. The solution is to build a purposely made one-stop website and provide a link of the website in your email.

Working is being done by a group of volunteers and 2 software engineers towards this end.
Trust and value ourselves, because we deserve it!

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Fri May 05, 2006 1:57 am

No luck in today' programme.
:oops:

I have submitted two questions, which are provided by andhraguy and myself. They did not select our questions. I have tried to raise my hand several times when they were talking about C Clark's capacity to do his job, but unfortunately, no luck again.

Well anyway, we have tried and just need to continue trying in different way. :P

Hidden dragon

Post by Hidden dragon » Fri May 05, 2006 8:13 am

tutu1005 wrote:No luck in today' programme.
:oops:

I have submitted two questions, which are provided by andhraguy and myself. They did not select our questions. I have tried to raise my hand several times when they were talking about C Clark's capacity to do his job, but unfortunately, no luck again.

Well anyway, we have tried and just need to continue trying in different way. :P
Tutu,

We will be extremely lucky if your questions are selected against the current background (scandals and local elections). "Question Time" is more about national issues than a particular campaign. So, it is perfectly understandable. Nevertheless, you put great effort and time into this campaign. And at least aroused some interest from the media, which is very encouraging.

From your action, it is proved that the Media would be interested in our campaign and story, otherwise they won’t call you and invite to the programme. It is just now the Media has other priorities.

Thank you a lot!

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri May 05, 2006 8:20 am

I'm listening to the Chancellor, Gordon Brown, on Radio 4 discussing how this election was a wake-up call for the Labour party. He's just said that the party must now listen to people instead of coming across as arrogant and inaccessible.

Interesting. I know that I voted against Labour as a protest in this election. Whether this means that they're going to listen more to me, however, is yet to be seen.

What do you think will be the repercussions if Charles Clarke and/or Tony McNulty lose their jobs? Will this have any effect on our campaign to end retroactive application of the four-to-five year rule?

seff_efrican
Newly Registered

Post by seff_efrican » Fri May 05, 2006 10:37 am

BBC reports Charles Clarke as having been sacked:

Charles Clarke has been axed as home secretary as Tony Blair seeks to regain the initiative after a night of losses in English local elections

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4975938.stm

Globetrotter

Post by Globetrotter » Fri May 05, 2006 10:51 am

seff_efrican wrote:BBC reports Charles Clarke as having been sacked:

Charles Clarke has been axed as home secretary as Tony Blair seeks to regain the initiative after a night of losses in English local elections

What goes around, comes around.... I shall shed no tears after his flippant responses to our concerns.

GT

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri May 05, 2006 11:22 am

RobinLondon wrote:I'm listening to the Chancellor, Gordon Brown, on Radio 4 discussing how this election was a wake-up call for the Labour party. He's just said that the party must now listen to people instead of coming across as arrogant and inaccessible.

Interesting. I know that I voted against Labour as a protest in this election. Whether this means that they're going to listen more to me, however, is yet to be seen.

What do you think will be the repercussions if Charles Clarke and/or Tony McNulty lose their jobs? Will this have any effect on our campaign to end retroactive application of the four-to-five year rule?
"listen and learn", tony blair said that millions times during the general election. :( look at tony mcnulty's email. little sign of it but full of arrogance.

imo, if clark and mcnulty loss their job, things could work in our favour slightly. at least the new ministers can say "it's not my fault, let's listen, learn and RETHINK about it (hope so :))".

as more and more our people got the identical disgusting response from mcnulty and his accessaries (showing little genuine desire to listen and learn), it's becoming clearer and clearer that the HO stands firm and is going to play nasty game with us. whatever you say, they don't listen at all and simply give you an identical response. i suggest we need work out a sharp general email to hit back, which can be easily sent to our MPs as a further response to mcnulty's excuses. otherwise the MPs could think job done. we need pile the pressures on and follow it up.

here are some of my thoughts for the email:

"In respect to the paper "Controlling our Borders: the Five ....", during the consultation period between Feb and now the Government has not received any views on the change in the qualifying period for settlement. "

they probably made the consultation about 4 to 5 change, but i don't think they've ever made any consultation about how to implement it. we're not against the 4 to 5 change. what we're against is the way they implement it. please don't mix up the different definitions.

"UK does not passes retrospective legislation. It passes legislation that takes effect from the date it is passed or later. "

what IS retrospective legislation? i wonder if there's a legislation which takes effect BEFORE the date it is passed? any expert's view on it?
Last edited by nonothing on Fri May 05, 2006 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hidden dragon

Change

Post by Hidden dragon » Fri May 05, 2006 11:27 am

RobinLondon wrote: What do you think will be the repercussions if Charles Clarke and/or Tony McNulty lose their jobs? Will this have any effect on our campaign to end retroactive application of the four-to-five year rule?
2 comments:
(1) I wonder if TM is or has lost his job too?
(2) Depending John Reid's stance and overall plan for the HO. If he is up to a change, then it could be good for us. If he only want to stablize the situation, it is not so good.

However, in general I think this change of situation opens more opportunity for us.

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Fri May 05, 2006 11:37 am

If you have choice of two enemies, always choose the unknown one!

So, if CC & TM goes, things may turn in favour of us!

We should continue our fight.....

a11

Post by a11 » Fri May 05, 2006 1:01 pm

Maybe we should write a letter to the new home secretary asap describing the situation? I just think we need to seek advice from Christine Lee first about the wording. Is anyone in a position to get in touch with her about this issue?

tvt

Post by tvt » Fri May 05, 2006 1:32 pm

The funny thing is that McNulty who is an MP for Harrow East could not have been elected to parliament without the active support of the Indian population (many of whom are affected by the change of rules) in his constituency.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Fri May 05, 2006 3:18 pm

MY ILR was due on 4th July'06 but because of these change in rules I have to wait for another year and this has cost me in a big way.

I had an interview with a big consultancy, everything went fine, after a number of rounds of interview, they said they are ready to recruit me but they cant because I am on HSMP and dnt have ILR. The lady said I should contact her When I get my ILR and I will be offered a position.
Now, has this been 4 years rule, I would have been working with prestigious consultancy within two months but now because of their stupid policy I am stripped off from a excellent oppertunity.

I am really really pissed off now....
Last edited by indian_in_uk on Fri May 05, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

ansaggart
Newly Registered

Post by ansaggart » Fri May 05, 2006 3:36 pm

your company should not discriminate from this point of view.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Fri May 05, 2006 3:47 pm

several times this happened to me as well
ansaggart wrote:your company should not discriminate from this point of view.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Fri May 05, 2006 3:49 pm

I do not see any point in getting HSMP now, It is just a waste isnt it.
If someone is not offered a job because he/she is on HSMP then what is the point for paying so much for application and later FLR?
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

tvt

Post by tvt » Fri May 05, 2006 3:55 pm

Companies (esp. smaller ones) are not familiar with the nuances between Work Permits, HSMP, Working Holiday etc. For them migrants mean just headache and trouble.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri May 05, 2006 3:57 pm

You know, this is precisely the type of hardship that Mr McNulty needs to hear about.

You should file an ILR application anyway as you originally intended to in the upcoming month, but enclose a cover letter, ideally with some documentation from this company that turned you down. In this cover letter, you should describe what you've basically written here and ask for "accommodation outside the rules" and see what happens. You might get ILR anyway. I think it's worth a try.

Mind you, if you do get ILR, you will most likely get it "without prejudice". This means that the Home Office made a special exception for you without setting a precedent for anyone else.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Fri May 05, 2006 4:06 pm

tvt wrote:Companies (esp. smaller ones) are not familiar with the nuances between Work Permits, HSMP, Working Holiday etc. For them migrants mean just headache and trouble.
But the company I am talking about is not a smaller one, it is a well reputed company and has global presence

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Fri May 05, 2006 4:09 pm

RobinLondon wrote:You know, this is precisely the type of hardship that Mr McNulty needs to hear about.

You should file an ILR application anyway as you originally intended to in the upcoming month, but enclose a cover letter, ideally with some documentation from this company that turned you down. In this cover letter, you should describe what you've basically written here and ask for "accommodation outside the rules" and see what happens. You might get ILR anyway. I think it's worth a try.

Mind you, if you do get ILR, you will most likely get it "without prejudice". This means that the Home Office made a special exception for you without setting a precedent for anyone else.
They told me everything on phone, I dont have any documentation for this.
ANyway, I am going to write Mr. McNulty about it and will ask for an explanation of it.

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Fri May 05, 2006 4:15 pm

The employers just wants to see if you have ILR on your passport. So, people who were on WP and expecting ILR have been hit hardest!

Also, if WP holders lost job, then need to leave UK within 1 month! It is very difficult to get a WP sponsorship from another company within that time. Having ILR would have been a lifesaver at that situation.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Fri May 05, 2006 5:02 pm

Indian_in_UK, get them to write you a letter! It doesn't have to be very long, but it might make a big difference to you and your situation.

As to your writing a letter to Tony McNulty for an "explanation", good luck with that. By that I mean, prepare yourself for another mechanical answer. If I were in your position (which I soon will be), I would do what I recommended in my earlier post. Present them with a real, human situation...they might respond.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Fri May 05, 2006 5:06 pm

Yes, I am trying to get a document from them about it and then I will proceed accordingly. I wont keep quiet on this..

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri May 05, 2006 6:59 pm

do we need write letters to the new home secretary John Reid?

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Fri May 05, 2006 9:59 pm

indian_in_uk wrote:Yes, I am trying to get a document from them about it and then I will proceed accordingly. I wont keep quiet on this..
I doubt any company will give this to you in writing....

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Fri May 05, 2006 10:00 pm

Globetrotter wrote:
seff_efrican wrote:BBC reports Charles Clarke as having been sacked:

What goes around, comes around.... I shall shed no tears after his flippant responses to our concerns.

GT
looks like it's going to be more strict now....