ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long Term residence ILR My ordeal at Croydon PEO

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

HHH99

Long Term residence ILR My ordeal at Croydon PEO

Post by HHH99 » Fri May 05, 2006 10:36 am

Hey peeps,

Just thought I would share my experience at the Croydon PEO when I applied for ILR based on 10 continuos years of legal stay. First let me give you a brief of my immigration history. I arrived here on 3rd may 1996 as a dependant of my dad who was posted here as a diplomat and so from 96 till 99 I was exempted from immigration controls. I was granted a student visa in 99 and from then on I've been here on a student visa. I did lose a passport overseas in a vacation but managed to come back here with a student visa.

Well, I went to Croydon PEO at 1000 am for a 1030 appointment yesterday. I had hit my 10 year mark the day before so I though I was safe. Got there went through security and was seen straight way by this immigration official. Now to say she didn't know her job would be putting it mildly. First she goes time spent under exemption does not count, I showed her a copy of the home office IDI, she went to check with her supervisor and apparrently my father had to have been retired for me to qualify for this, I went it does not say anything like that on the IDI sheet and I want to see where it states that. Both her and the supervisor dissapeared for a long time. By this time I was sweating bucketloads.

They came back and now she had a new agenda. did I have anything to prove I was here form 1996 to 1998 I showed her my GCSE certificates which were from 1998. She goes what about to 1996 to 98 I went GCSEs are for two years and without proper attendance I wouldn've been allowed to do them. Apparently that wasn't good enough because I was exempted from immigration controls I could have been goin in and out of the country without the home office knowing about it. I went you had embarkation controls back then and not only that the countres I would have allegedly been visiting would stamp my passport on arrival wouldn't they. At this precise moment another officer from the opposite counter also agreed with me and the supervisor goes to her "You are putting the home office in a very stupid position here ".

However that didn't do any favors for me. She somehow managed to convince the supervisor I could've just kept doing this and then comes back to me and goes you have to bring proof of your stay here from your college from 96 to 98 and you can only apply via post as we don't deal with this much paper work here. I was so angry and dissapointed by this time I took my rage out on the tie and jacket I was wearing by tearign apart and throwing them as far as I could ( well someone is enjoying a ripped washable marks and spencer jacket for free and a bhs tie as well). I decided to go to my school and get this so called letter it took me just over an hour. I thought to myself maybe I should go there and just try my luck again as I live in croydon anyway so its on my way home. Well I went back told them that they sent me home this morning saying I didn't have a document and if I could be let back in they allowed me in.

I was hoping and praying I don't get that same witch again. Well i get called and it was the guy who was agreeing with me earlier this morning and the supervisor saw me as well and goes back again. I think he was really frustrated at me and went send him upstairs. The guy ran a few checks asked me for my visa extensions saw them and gave me a ticket to go upstairs. I really was a sight by this time looked more like a football hooligan then an aducated quailified person. Well went up the woman looked at my appointment ticket she realised i was rushing she goes take your time dont rush and gave me enough time to organise my documents kind words from someone at the home office. Made the payment and waited for my number to be called. By this time I was clinically paranoid I was ripping out doucments out of my subject access request to prove that I have been here for 10 years.

Finally, my number gets called. This woman was the nicest woman I've ever met she was more like my mother then an immigration officer. Shes all like what are you studying at the moment are you enjoying it she was really friendly and I couldn've got a better officer. She did a few checks on the database asked me for my letter from the school and went to do a few more checks and said my ILR has been approved. I was over the moon when I heard those words. I really felt like finding that woman from this morning and rubbing this in her face. Well I'm really happy I finally did get my ILR after 10 years and hopefully i can apply for naturalisation in a few years. Hopefully none of you have the same experience as me and get your ILRs smoothly

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Fri May 05, 2006 11:52 am

Well done...... I think we can all take joy in knowing that if we keep trying we can all succeed

pumkin

Post by pumkin » Fri May 05, 2006 12:40 pm

I wonder if we had the same woman! The woman who helped with with ILR for my 17 year old was very sweet and helpful, albeit there were a few hairy moments when she had to call her supervisor! But not once was she rude or abrupt.

What a pleasure to deal with her.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Fri May 05, 2006 1:35 pm

Congratulations!

What an ordeal! Well done, the key is to keep a cool head and be prepared (apart from the jacket ripping incident!) you had basically done your research, were able to provide all the evidence they wanted to see, luckily your college was nearby!

HHH99

Post by HHH99 » Fri May 05, 2006 3:26 pm

Hi guys,

I'm really sorry I forgot to thank people. I'm really grateful to john, nyrnu, penanglad and anyone else I've missed out for their invaluable support and advice. Well all is well that ends well.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Sat May 06, 2006 10:27 am

HHH999, well done! What an ordeal.... congratulations! Hopefully you will be able to apply for Brit Citizenship shortly!

Rogerio.

HHH99

Post by HHH99 » Sat May 06, 2006 3:26 pm

thanks rogerio i hope so too

shdosd
Newly Registered

Post by shdosd » Tue May 09, 2006 7:01 pm

when applying for the ILR based on the 10-year rule. how do they check whether you have not been out of the country for more than 90 days in a single period since Britain don't have the embarkation controls any more?

thanks.

HHH99

Post by HHH99 » Wed May 10, 2006 10:04 am

they look at stamps in your passport because even though they haven't got embarkation controls the country you arrive at would stamp your passport on entry.