ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

E-Petition To No 10 - TIER 1 Extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MICKS

Post by MICKS » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:14 pm

for those that are still clinging to the word "short".....Here is a SHORT petition, but note that the govenment response is not SHORT at all.....

please copy and paste this as hyperlinking this does not work for some reason..

http://www.hmg.gov.uk/epetition-respons ... easstudent

"Petition to: withdraw the oppressive new immigration rules on overseas students and staff"

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

IMPORTANT

Post by mtuckersa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:20 pm

you CANT write this

'but we believe the existing Tier1 extension criteria will be efficient in dealing with this minority'

as the existing Tier 1 extension criteria does NOT deal with this minority, it allows them to extend doing multiple jobs etc.

You either take it out or propose a solution to filter this minority out.

For example suggest that they adjust the extension criteria to filter out the minority who abused the system.

You can NOT discuss this sort of detail with them in your petition. But maybe suggest that you have come up with your own extension criteria and you are willing to talk to UKBA about it if they are interested. By consultation

I am sure they will be willing to know what the majority Tier 1 holders would like to see on the extension criteria. If they can get agreement with the majority Tier 1 holders on extension criteria then you are already 80% of the way there.

If you want to win this YOU need to propose changes to Tier 1 extension criteria NOW, dont wait for them to make changes and put it out there. Then you will be on the back foot.

I stress you put together a list of changes to criteria and send it to UKBA. They will be quite impressed if you do such a thing. Let the Tier 1 holders with UKBA define the rules for extensions.

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Post by mtuckersa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Your e-petition is like a WARNING to UKBA between the lines.

Rather suggest a SOLUTION to the EXTENSION CRITERIA, they will be more receptive!

They want the minority Tier 1 holders out and to some extent alot of us dont feel they have earned their way on the Tier 1 route.

Suggest a solution.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:27 pm

A longer petition will not necessarily elicit a long response from the Government. In any case people should not be concerned about the length of the Government's response as long as it provides clear answers to the questions/concerns raised.

Submit a brief but meaningful petition. If you want answers to more than one points, ask specifically for the same in the petition.

Lastly address the Petition to the PM:
Downing Street is working in partnership with the non-partisan mySociety to provide a service to allow citizens, charities and campaign groups to set up petitions that are hosted on the Downing Street website, enabling anyone to address and deliver a petition directly to the Prime Minister
. The response may still come from HO or Ms May:
Depending on the nature of the petition, this may be from the Prime Minister, or he may ask one of his Ministers or officials to respond.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

MICKS

Re: IMPORTANT

Post by MICKS » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:35 pm

mtuckersa wrote:you CANT write this

'but we believe the existing Tier1 extension criteria will be efficient in dealing with this minority'

as the existing Tier 1 extension criteria does NOT deal with this minority, it allows them to extend doing multiple jobs etc.

For example suggest that they adjust the extension criteria to filter out the minority who abused the system.

You can NOT discuss this sort of detail with them in your petition. But maybe suggest that you have come up with your own extension criteria and you are willing to talk to UKBA about it if they are interested. By consultation

I am sure they will be willing to know what the majority Tier 1 holders would like to see on the extension criteria. If they can get agreement with the majority Tier 1 holders on extension criteria then you are already 80% of the way there.

If you want to win this YOU need to propose changes to Tier 1 extension criteria NOW, dont wait for them to make changes and put it out there. Then you will be on the back foot.

I stress you put together a list of changes to criteria and send it to UKBA. They will be quite impressed if you do such a thing. Let the Tier 1 holders with UKBA define the rules for extensions.

I once tried to preach my mother how to cook....trust me it wasn't a good experience... :D Don't think its a good idea to go to them with a criteria as we would come across as doing their jobs ......it would certainly offend the current policy makers who by the way are getting serious ££££ to come up with ways of reducing net migration....

I agree with you on your point regarding 'but we believe the existing Tier1 extension criteria will be efficient in dealing with this minority'. But we must address this minority as this 30% of failures are being advertised to the UK public as the key reason for tanking Tier 1....We need to say something that points out that a vast majority of us that are here are legit and have been successful as per the definition of HO.

The best thing we can recommend to them is that the extension rules the same, and have another extension type check at settlement. This way they would have verified our credibility 3 times, Inital application, Extension and Settlement.....Anything more will be draconian....

cuberoot

Post by cuberoot » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:38 pm

I agree with push and MJNair. I think we should go with the blue version and change it to be addressed to the PM. The blue version is a more professional petition and has a clear and formal style.

MICKS

Post by MICKS » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:47 pm

cuberoot wrote:I agree with push and MJNair. I think we should go with the blue version and change it to be addressed to the PM. The blue version is a more professional petition and has a clear and formal style.
sorry if I am repeating myself but we must address this 30% of failures because they are being advertised to the UK public as the key reason for tanking Tier 1....IF WE ADDRESS THEM IN OUR PETITION, then hopefully they won't base the reply focussing on the 30% failed Tier 1 holders.....

If we do that, I think the blue version might just do the trick......

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:52 pm

MICKS wrote:
cuberoot wrote:I agree with push and MJNair. I think we should go with the blue version and change it to be addressed to the PM. The blue version is a more professional petition and has a clear and formal style.
sorry if I am repeating myself but we must address this 30% of failures because they are being advertised to the UK public as the key reason for tanking Tier 1....IF WE ADDRESS THEM IN OUR PETITION, then hopefully they won't base the reply focussing on the 30% failed Tier 1 holders.....

If we do that, I think the blue version might just do the trick......
But are you trying to get the decision on Tier-1 (general) reversed? I thought the core concern here was to ensure that the changes are not effected so as to impact extension and settlement criteria for the existing Tier-1(general) VISA holders.

Justifying the usefulness of Tier-1 (general) is one thing and resisting retrospective application of the rules another. You decide what you are seeking to address in the petition.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Re: IMPORTANT

Post by mtuckersa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:57 pm

MICKS wrote:
mtuckersa wrote:you CANT write this

I once tried to preach my mother how to cook....trust me it wasn't a good experience... :D Don't think its a good idea to go to them with a criteria as we would come across as doing their jobs ......it would certainly offend the current policy makers who by the way are getting serious ££££ to come up with ways of reducing net migration....

I agree with you on your point regarding 'but we believe the existing Tier1 extension criteria will be efficient in dealing with this minority'. But we must address this minority as this 30% of failures are being advertised to the UK public as the key reason for tanking Tier 1....We need to say something that points out that a vast majority of us that are here are legit and have been successful as per the definition of HO.

The best thing we can recommend to them is that the extension rules the same, and have another extension type check at settlement. This way they would have verified our credibility 3 times, Inital application, Extension and Settlement.....Anything more will be draconian....
You dont tell them how to cook, but instead suggest to them that if they wish to consult you regarding extension criteria you are willing. So in each words you leave the ball in their court so they can decide whether or not they want cooking lessons.

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Post by mtuckersa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:04 pm

so is this coming out?

as I dont think this is a true statement. UKBA will read that and say in their heads

"But thats not true, how is keeping the same rules going to filter out the 30%"

UKBA are taking a long time to figure out what to say or do regarding extensions. I suspect this is to do with this 30%. They trying to get a system that allows the Tier 1 holders all through but not the 30%.

So in my opinion you have to take that statement out, else you gonna rub them up the wrong way.

cuberoot

Post by cuberoot » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:06 pm

mtuckersa, what do you think of the blue version? I think you will find its a much better petition. We could add a line at the end suggesting we are open to consultation as well?

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Post by mtuckersa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:10 pm

cuberoot wrote:mtuckersa, what do you think of the blue version? I think you will find its a much better petition. We could add a line at the end suggesting we are open to consultation as well?
much better, less emotionally charged and sounds more professional

yes adding a line at end saying we are open to consultation would be a good idea.

NeoZ

Post by NeoZ » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:19 pm

For me, since 'wait' is killing for most here and few words/lines never really make much difference (as all one need is more clarity/feedback from government) ... Just go ahead with the one in blue on Monday morning ...

other option ... wait for the announcement.

cuberoot

Post by cuberoot » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:34 pm

My final draft of the blue petition. I really think we should go with this one.

Tagline:
We, the undersigned, petition the Prime Minister for clarity on the impact that the new migration rules will have on the extension and settlement prospects of existing Tier-1 (General) migrants.

Details:
We are writing to express our views and concerns about the closure of the Tier-1 (General) route and the lack of information about its impact on existing Tier-1 (General) visa holders who are already in the United Kingdom. This petition is a collective appeal from existing Tier-1 (General) visa holders requesting confirmation that no retrospective changes will be applied to those already here in the UK.

We are well educated and highly skilled economic migrants who came into this country through the legitimate HSMP/Tier 1 route. Our positive contributions have already been acknowledged by the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC), local businesses, think-tanks, Universities and various other public bodies including the National Health Service (NHS).

The HSMP/Tier-1 (General) scheme was promoted as a route to settlement for highly skilled migrants. Trusting this and an expectation of fair treatment from the UK Government, we uprooted our families, left well established businesses and promising careers in order to make the UK our main home.

In the absence of clarity and detail in the announcement, there is a feeling of confusion and uncertainty amongst us. We therefore request your office to issue us with confirmation that the extension and settlement criteria for existing Tier-1 (General) and HSMP visa holders will remain the same as the criteria when we last qualified for a visa. We would also like to open dialogue with the Government to discuss the concerns of both parties and how these concerns can best be solved.

Respectfully,
Tier 1 (General) Visa Holders currently in UK

December31

Post by December31 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:37 pm

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/p ... grants.pdf [/url]

Tier 1 general has done quite well, if you look at the statistics on page 4 for the above document, it shows ony 20% under this category are in unskilled jobs.

Tier 1 Post Study statistics show that 60% under this catergory are in unskilled jobs.

However, the ministers choose not to make a distinction between the above 2 categories and scrapped both categories!!

All the 4 categories of Tier 1 (including invester and Entrepreneur) in total has 29.30% of the holder doing unskilled jobs, the ministers conveniently rounded it off 29.30 to 33.33%(1/3rd). ( Note that if you push the figure other way round by the same number it gets close to 25%!!).
Last edited by December31 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:42 pm

I am sorry but they ain't gonna give you a chance to sit with them and consult, chances are once in a blue moon :(

Shorter version of petition is agreeable, but it should not miss out important message. Its not only the question of professionalism, sentiments are also involved who have kids moulded in this culture and environment.

mtuckersa wrote:
cuberoot wrote:mtuckersa, what do you think of the blue version? I think you will find its a much better petition. We could add a line at the end suggesting we are open to consultation as well?

yes adding a line at end saying we are open to consultation would be a good idea.

LuckyJ
Newly Registered

Post by LuckyJ » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:46 pm

I prefer the blue petition is much more focused, less emotional more professional.

I think we should run it by few natives speakers to make sure the language is as sharp as it can be. Overall I like it!

cuberoot

Post by cuberoot » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:47 pm

We can discuss all the sentimental, emotionally charged stuff on the Facebook page and this forum. A petition needs to be clear and professional, especially if the press gets involved.

Ideally, we would give the press links to the professionally written petition and a link to the Facebook discussion boards where the emotions of real people can be heard.

raxs1983 wrote:I am sorry but they ain't gonna give you a chance to sit with them and consult, chances are once in a blue moon :(

Shorter version of petition is agreeable, but it should not miss out important message. Its not only the question of professionalism, sentiments are also involved who have kids moulded in this culture and environment.

mtuckersa wrote:

cuberoot

Post by cuberoot » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:51 pm

I am a native English speaker. English is my first language and I studied it in Primary and Secondary school.

I am by no means an expert though, I never studied it at University and I was only average at school.

Please feel free to get the opinion of other native English speakers. I wont be offended if we need to change things.

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Post by mtuckersa » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:58 pm

cuberoot wrote:I am a native English speaker. English is my first language and I studied it in Primary and Secondary school.

I am by no means an expert though, I never studied it at University and I was only average at school.

Please feel free to get the opinion of other native English speakers. I wont be offended if we need to change things.
I am also a native english speaker and it seems fine to me.

raxs1983, you are probably right they wont consult with us but by putting that line in there we are just showing that we are serious about this matter.

MICKS

Post by MICKS » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:13 pm

......all good we barely have 100 members on our facebook group....going ahead with the blue one seems ok as the majority here is agreeing on it... but we need to figure out a way to get to that 500 number asap....before Mrs. May makes an annoucement......any ideas..??

viki83

Post by viki83 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:43 pm

Please go with the blue one asap its perfect this week is imp otherwise its all xmas

December31

Post by December31 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:44 pm

I have 5 to 10 friends with Tier 1 visas, I can get atleast 5 more members to sign up, if each of the members can get 4 to 5 members........we can make it the 500 mark

viki83

Post by viki83 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:47 pm

Dnt wory abt numbers i hav 4 guys too who will hav more frnds too

manojk005

Post by manojk005 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 am

viki83 wrote:Dnt wory abt numbers i hav 4 guys too who will hav more frnds too
Drafted petition still sound emotional and use complex language. In my opinion, this petiotion must refer to earlier petiotion on same topic and remind government about its public stand on Tier 1 (G), who are in this country.

http://www.hmg.gov.uk/epetition-respons ... cefortier1

It should be referred as "We hope that Tier 1 (G) extensions will remain open as stated in a response to petition(details of that petition)." This will be a kind of reminder to the government about their earlier policy.

I am sure that once it is there you will have enough number to get response.