ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel to Norway

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

obio
Newly Registered

Travel to Norway

Post by obio » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:44 pm

I am an EEA citizen married to a non EEA both residing in UK. From my own understanding we can travel to EU countries without a visa so long as we are traveling together but Noway is not in the EU. Do we need a SCHENGEN visa?
Thanks Guys

frida
Newly Registered

Post by frida » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:01 pm

If you have a valid EEA Residence Permit you do not need a visa to enter Norway. :)

Norway is an EEA country.

obio
Newly Registered

Post by obio » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi Frida,
Thanks, you have saved me a lot of time and money.

frida
Newly Registered

Post by frida » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:36 pm

No problem! Have fun in Norway! :D

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:17 pm

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:55 am

Yes, you may travel without a visa.

I´m just adding something, which should reveal how messed-up the Schengen-System is:

According to the Norwegians, you may enter:
Norwegian Embassy wrote:
  1. You do not need to be accompanied by your EU/EEA spouse or partner.
  2. It is advisable to print this page and to present it together with your passport, documentation from UK Border Agency regarding your Residence Documentation (residence permit) and proof of your relationship with the EU/EEA national (e.g marriage certificate or birth certificate) at the point of departure and at Norwegian Border Control on entry into Norway in case of problems.
  3. If you are travelling to another Schengen country other than Norway, you should check with that country's embassy in the UK whether they also accept you as being exempt from the visa requirement.
Compare this to general Schengen-Info from a randomly picked German embassy:
German Embassy (Bratislava) wrote:
  • Harmonisierte Visumpolitiken der Mitgliedstaaten (gemeinsame Liste der Drittstaaten, deren Staatsangehörige visumpflichtig sind).
  • Außengrenzkontrollen nach einheitlichem Standard.
Translation by me:
  • Harmonised visa-policies of memberstates (common list of third-country states, whose citizens are visa required).
  • Exterior-checks according to a uniform standard.

Problems:
  1. Schengen-States other than Norway insist on the EU-spouse accompanying the non-EU-partner
  2. If the rules were clear and known to everyone, why should it be necessary to "print this page"?
  3. Schengen aims to harmonise visa-rules. If they were truly harmonised, why should you check with any other Schengen-country? It should be the same everywhere...