ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement visa application

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sunkanmi
Newly Registered

Settlement visa application

Post by Sunkanmi » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:04 pm

We are not in UK. My husband has been out of work for 14 months. He wants to use the Settlement visa to work in UK and change the status of the family. What do they mean by present and settled? I am the sponsor, but i have been living with the applicant for two years out of a seven year old marriage with two children. We would like to re locate first. Then return to pick the children once settled.

While living in UK between 2004-2008,I was on benefit - income support till i left. I am not working. But run a business in my hubby's country. That business bank statement is the only financial support i have.

I have stopped benefit. My husband is a qualified IT Professional who has already receive replies that he would get a good job to support the family. Last est, don't have accommodation in the UK. What are were chances? I till receive tax credit and child benefit.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:41 pm

What is your immigration status?

Sunkanmi
Newly Registered

Post by Sunkanmi » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:50 pm

MPH80 wrote:What is your immigration status?
I am British Born. Born in United Kingdom. I have my British Passport. I have worked in London for about a year before returning to my parents and got married. Returned to live in UK and got benefit during the births of my children.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:57 pm

All the info you need is here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partn ... lpartners/

However, if you do not have savings, or guarantees of a job, it will be a struggle to fulfill the "support without recourse to public funds" element.

Sunkanmi
Newly Registered

Post by Sunkanmi » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:55 pm

MPH80 wrote:All the info you need is here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partn ... lpartners/

However, if you do not have savings, or guarantees of a job, it will be a struggle to fulfill the "support without recourse to public funds" element.
How much savings? Guarantees of a job that is letter of offer. yes or no. please explain

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:21 am

There isn't a set amount of money - you just have to have sufficient funds to allow you both to live without recourse to public funds.

If you aren't paying rent because you'll be living with family it'll be lower ... if you are planning on living in London - it'll be higher.

Yes - a job offer letter with an ideal start date, confirming salary etc would help. This will probably be checked on though.

Sunkanmi
Newly Registered

Re: Settlement visa application

Post by Sunkanmi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Is My Bank Statement enough to show that we can support ourselves in the UK. The business i run has a very high monthly turnover

impactcrew

Post by impactcrew » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:51 pm

SunKanni,

How long have you been out of the uk for?

I would suggest you as the sponsor not being in the UK is not a good thing? You should be in the UK and supply the other half all the necessary papers to make the application.

I may be wrong but that is what i cna make out of your post as it is not really clear as to your immigration status and wheter application has been made etc.

Sunkanmi
Newly Registered

Post by Sunkanmi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:08 pm

I have been out of the UK for 2 years, staying here with my husband. The fact of the matter is that we both wish to go back to the UK with the children and live permanently there... He is an IT Professional.. highly qualified and has even started talking with Employment agents in the UK.

Which documents do i have to produce that would necessitate me to be in the UK?

impactcrew

Post by impactcrew » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:16 pm

The fact that you have been out of the uk for 2 years would kinda render you no longer a british citizen or would have implications as they would say "you have lived outside the uk for 2 years so why the sudden need to come back to uk and do you really need your british residency. Unless you can prove why you been out of the uk for 2 years this will be a tough call.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:27 pm

impactcrew wrote:The fact that you have been out of the uk for 2 years would kinda render you no longer a british citizen or would have implications as they would say "you have lived outside the uk for 2 years so why the sudden need to come back to uk and do you really need your british residency. Unless you can prove why you been out of the uk for 2 years this will be a tough call.
Where did you get such a (completely inaccurate) impression from?

OP, ignore the response! You are a British citizen and staying out of UK doesn't change that (in any way).

regards

Sunkanmi
Newly Registered

Post by Sunkanmi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:28 pm

I have been in Nigeria for 2 years on a reconciliation mission. The result of this reconciliation is the resolve for the family to relocate back to the UK as i do not want any form of psychological damage to the children. We have children that were also born in the UK and are british citizens also.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Also, you don't need to be here in the UK in order to apply. You can return to settle at the same time as your husband. However, you will need to show that you have a minimum of £102.75 + £65 for each child remaining weekly, after rent or mortgage, council tax and any loan repayments have been paid.
Will you continue to have income from your business once you settle here?
You will also need to show you have adequate accommodation and unless you are living in a country exempt from the new regulation, your husband will have to pass a pre-entry English test before you submit the application.
Form VAF4(a).
Last edited by Casa on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:05 pm

impactcrew wrote:The fact that you have been out of the uk for 2 years would kinda render you no longer a british citizen or would have implications as they would say "you have lived outside the uk for 2 years so why the sudden need to come back to uk and do you really need your british residency. Unless you can prove why you been out of the uk for 2 years this will be a tough call.
As sushdmehta stated, British citizens are not subject to any time restrictions outside the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Sammad wrote:[They told me they are happy I am a British citizen. So, if I lived in Pakistan for 5 years and they still considered me British. Why would the question someone who's been out of the country for only two years?
Forget that example, even.

If you were a British Citizen by birth, and had never so much as set foot in the country, you'd be able to arrive at the age of 99 and swan in.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.