ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

"Certified copies" who can certify and what format

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

eeckard
Newly Registered

"Certified copies" who can certify and what format

Post by eeckard » Mon May 08, 2006 7:32 pm

This should be an easy one for those in the know!

I need to give my embassy "certified copies" of a document. My questions are:
- who can perform the certification (is it limited to some people)?
- what does it look like (stamp, handwritten, what is accepted)?
- what is the cheapest and easiest way to get documents certified?

Thanks in advance.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon May 08, 2006 7:54 pm

What type of document are you thinking of sending in a certified copy of?

If it is a passport, go to any Solicitor's office.
John

eeckard
Newly Registered

Post by eeckard » Mon May 08, 2006 8:07 pm

John, it is a passport.

Solicitors are expensive though. Is there not a cheaper alternative? In South Africa (where I am from) you could go to your local police station and get it done free of charge there).

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Mon May 08, 2006 8:57 pm

Can't the embassy certify them? (unless you're posting them) My embassy certifies everything there and then when you hand documents over to them.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Mon May 08, 2006 9:17 pm

Surely the answer to the question is that it will depend on the policy of whoever the certified copy is to be submitted to... The phrase "certified copy" can mean a multitude of things, and I don't think there is a "one size fits all" answer.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon May 08, 2006 10:12 pm

eeckard wrote:Solicitors are expensive though.
What on earth do you think they are doing to charge? This is surely a cheap procedure. In any case, no harm in walking into a firm of solicitors and asking, "I need a certified copy of my passport. How much would that cost?", and if you don't like the answer, making your apologies and walking out.

Or of course enquiring by phone.
John

EJ

Post by EJ » Mon May 08, 2006 11:26 pm

John,

I had to get a "Power of Attorney" certified around three years ago. The notary charged £42 + VAT. Thus it isn't cheap and it would be handy to know if it can be done for free through another avenue.

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Tue May 09, 2006 8:18 am

Notaries are generally expensive. However, 'solicitors' are cheap... they'll normally certify passport copies for about £10.
So give a couple of solicitors around you a ring and go with the cheapest.

Check with your embassy... as they might accept a document certified by a church priest, teacher, doctor as well. Some of these might certify it for free.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Tue May 09, 2006 3:25 pm

I did certify some certificates for the FCO last week at a Posh City Law Firm in St James Street and it costs only £5 a document. I have also in the past certified a letter to an adjudicator in a solicitor's office and it is also the same 5 quid.
Last edited by jes2jes on Tue May 09, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praise The Lord!!!!

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Tue May 09, 2006 5:14 pm

I've had to certify many copies of many documents before... I rang round various solicitors, and ended up having to pay £5 for a whole bunch of stuff.... copying included.... just ring round.

davidm

Post by davidm » Wed May 10, 2006 11:43 pm

Rogerio wrote:I've had to certify many copies of many documents before... I rang round various solicitors, and ended up having to pay £5 for a whole bunch of stuff.... copying included.... just ring round.
I paid £5 per passport when I applied for naturalisation- there were 3 in total (2 of mine and 1 of my wife), paid £15.
Notaries are expensive- I paid £50 plus VAT to get something notarised a couple of years ago.