ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport back for travel - is what the letter says standard?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Christiana
Newly Registered

Passport back for travel - is what the letter says standard?

Post by Christiana » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi all,

I am an EEA national living and working in the UK. My non-EEA national husband is applying for a RC through EEA2.
The application was sent in mid-September, and of course he's yet to get his RC :o .

Now, he's requested his passport back to travel for Christmas and he received it today, so that's good. With it, came an accompanying letter asking him not to send it back unless it's requested by an Officer, which is fine and we know it's quite standard. However, the first paragraph of the letter confused us and I was wondering if this is part of the standard letter they send or not. It said something along the lines of "it should be noted that such applications are based on the EEA national proving that they are in the UK exercising treaty rights, and the relationship between the applicant and the EEA national should be proved".

Is this standard on letters or is it specific to our case? I've never read about that before, which is why I'm wondering.
We did provide proof of my work in the UK and our marriage certificate when we applied, and in the COA it was stated that he was considered the spouse of an EEA national, free to live and work in the UK.

I wonder if this first paragraph was because they saw that he'll be travelling by himself to my home country for Christmas, so they might have thought I lived there instead of the UK and he was visiting me for Xmas? When he emailed them to request his passport back, he copy-pasted his e-ticket which showed just his name going to and returning from my home (EU) country, but not my name. The truth is, I'll be going a few days in advance of him, and we're returning together, but when we booked the flights we made separate bookings because of the different outbound dates. That's all it is. Otherwise we are very much both living and working in the UK and we have plenty of additional proof for that, plus we'll have our boarding passes proving that we'll have travelled together and will have sat next to each other on our return flight to the UK.

But I was wondering if this is something standard that's stated in every letter that accompanies a passport return, or if they might have (wrongly) suspected us of something and they added it there because of that?
Sorry if I'm over-analyzing things!

Many thanks, good luck to everyone!

bobobo

Post by bobobo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:43 pm

This is a Standard Letter that everyone gets when they ask for the passport to be returned. Most likely HO will not ask you for the passport again an dwill just issue the RC on an A4 paper. This is a new approach that has been adopted by the HO.

Christiana
Newly Registered

Post by Christiana » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:14 pm

bobobo wrote:This is a Standard Letter that everyone gets when they ask for the passport to be returned. Most likely HO will not ask you for the passport again an dwill just issue the RC on an A4 paper. This is a new approach that has been adopted by the HO.
Thanks for that. That's a relief! It was very confusing the way it was phrased.
Hmm...yes, I've heard about issuing the RC on an A4 sheet. Sounds strange and not official at all, but still preferable to having no passport for 4,5,6 months or more...
He's happy to send it back after his holidays, and he's actually going to call the helpline when we're back to ask if they want his passport back - although they'll probably say no.
Thanks for the response!