ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Visa renewals after 30 Jun 06 - Ireland

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AnnerieC
Newly Registered

Student Visa renewals after 30 Jun 06 - Ireland

Post by AnnerieC » Thu May 04, 2006 2:10 pm

Does anybody have any information as to how/when you'd be allowed to renew your student visa in Ireland?

I'm a South African citizen currently on a studnent visa as I'm an accountant-in-training - so I work full time and study part-time (which is allowed for student visas on professional accountancy qualifications). But last year the GNIB only renewed my GNIB card (and therefor my leave to stay) until 30 June 2006. I rang them there the other day and they said the system doesn't allow them to renew anybody's visa after June 30th. Apparently they are waiting on something form the Justice Department.

Is anybody else here in the same situation? Any ideas as to whats going on?
I know there's the new Work Permits Bill, but it doesn't look like thats going to be passed into legislation before June. And I'm not sure if it'll have any impact on student visas.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri May 05, 2006 9:19 pm

well, if you are within the country, you only need to renew your permission to remain. the only thing you need to renew is your permission to remain. unless you want to travel to somewhere outside ireland.

if i were you, do not wait for the new employment bill to pass. the irish governement usually late for everything. the immigration issue is the least they would concern since they have loads of eastern european workers. why would they in rush to pass the new bill. they might even leave it till next year. if i were you, take all the necessary documents to the gnib and renew your permission to remain first, than sort out the visa after. DO NOT let the permission to remain to run out.

good luck

AnnerieC
Newly Registered

Post by AnnerieC » Mon May 08, 2006 1:40 pm

That's just it you see. I went to renew my permission to remain, but the GNIB office said they couldn't do that yet.
I have to wait, but I can't find out what it is that's going to happen that I have to wait for before I can renew my gnib card.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Tue May 09, 2006 6:52 pm

to be on the save side. go in to check again before your permission to remain expired. you see, some of the people work in the gnib dont know what they talking about. if they said they cannot renew your permission to remain for some reason. ask them what do u need to do to renew it? if u only listen to them come back 2 months after. and let say your permission to remain ran out and u gone back. how likely will u talk to the same person that told u to wait? i would say not very likely. go down and sort it out yourself. if i were you, try to get something in writing from them or go to one of those immigrant advice place in dublin and check out and see the gnib really have problem with their computer system. one of the place i usually go is immigrant council in dublin. take a look at their website www.immigrantcouncil.ie or go to see them, they have a walk in help center from 10:30 til 12 everyday i think. good luck.

AnnerieC
Newly Registered

Post by AnnerieC » Wed May 10, 2006 9:07 am

Thanks! I'll do that so.

Powerbook
Newly Registered

Post by Powerbook » Wed May 17, 2006 11:16 am

I agree, DON'T let you time to stay run out. You have only those 3 months after expiry to renew and then you're in trouble. Ask me I'm in that boat!!!