ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Would travel disqualify you from maternity benefit?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xxxtieee

Would travel disqualify you from maternity benefit?

Post by xxxtieee » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 pm

I heard accounts that some working families (legally working, paying PRSI etc and claiming maternity benefit during the maternity leave) were asked to payback the maternity benefit because they traveled and stayed outside EU for about 3 months.

Is there anyone here who has faced this?
Is there any such rule that anyone is aware of?

Thanks

xxxtieee
-xxxtieee-

9jeirean

Re: Would travel disqualify you from maternity benefit?

Post by 9jeirean » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:20 pm

xxxtieee wrote:I heard accounts that some working families (legally working, paying PRSI etc and claiming maternity benefit during the maternity leave) were asked to payback the maternity benefit because they traveled and stayed outside EU for about 3 months.

Is there anyone here who has faced this?
Is there any such rule that anyone is aware of?

Thanks

xxxtieee
I think the official position is that anyone in receipt of payment from dept of family and social protection (CB and MB inclusive) is obliged to notify the dept if they intend to be outside the state for longer than 2 weeks. But on a practical note, how would the department know if no one told them?

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks 9jeirean. That is helpful. Have you found this info in an official website??

A few expecting mothers (on their 35 - 38 weeks) have received letters from Social Welfare asking for a copy of the GNIB card.
-xxxtieee-

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:42 pm

xxxtieee wrote:Thanks 9jeirean. That is helpful. Have you found this info in an official website??

A few expecting mothers (on their 35 - 38 weeks) have received letters from Social Welfare asking for a copy of the GNIB card.
I don't think they'll make it a headline on their website. The onus is however on everyone receiving payment (contributory or otherwise) to be able to proof their continuous residency in the state. You can understand that in the current climate, the government would be looking for every means to minimize spending. They are also aware that many are leaving the country either on a short term basis or for good, hence the request for GNIB cards. My advice is, if anyone is leaving for short term i.e holidays etc, ensure you have some documentary evidence to show you are still "living" in the country: bank statement, bills covering the periods etc, you should be fine.

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:59 am

An update: The lady in question, after child delivery, went home to an Asian country for 2 months. After a year for this travel, she got a letter from Social Welfare asking her to return 2 months Maternity Benefit as she was not present in Ireland.

A few more cases were reported in the same lines.
-xxxtieee-