ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Physical Presence Requirements

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

heavymen
Newly Registered

Physical Presence Requirements

Post by heavymen » Tue May 09, 2006 4:24 am

My Canadian PR was recently approved and i have sent my passport to Buffalo to have the PR stamped in .

My question, is i also have a US green card and currently reside in the US . I know i cannot keep both residence permits as both have physical presence requirements .

1/ Does anyone what these requirements are for Canada ? That is , how many days do you have to be present in canada in order not to loose the PR .

2/ How long after holding Canadian PR can you apply for a Canadian Citizenship ?

3/ Are there any requirements that have to be met before canadian citizenship is approved ? vis-a-viz , taxes paid , number of days out of country , etc etc

4/ Just as aside , does anyone know the physical presence requirements that have to be met in order not to loose the US green card ?

Thanks .

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Wed May 10, 2006 5:38 pm

See Below mate!

Becoming a Canadian Citizen
Here is useful information about becoming a Canadian citizen. Read this page to decide if you are ready to take this step.

To become a Canadian citizen, you must:

be 18 years of age or older;
be a permanent resident of Canada;
have lived in Canada for at least three of the four years before applying;
be able to communicate in either English or French;
know about Canada; and
know about the rights and responsibilities of citizenship;
Please note that time spent in Canada before becoming a permanent resident may be counted toward becoming a Canadian citizen if it falls within the four-year period. To find out if you meet the residency requirements to become a Canadian citizen, you can use the residency calculator.

A child (under 18 years of age) must be a permanent resident of Canada to apply for Canadian citizenship. To apply on behalf of your child, you must either:

already be a citizen; or
apply for citizenship together as a family.
Children do not need to have lived in Canada for three years before applying.

Citizenship Test
If you are between the ages of 18 and 54, you must pass a citizenship test. For more information on Canada and the citizenship test, read the on-line study guide A Look at Canada.

Who cannot become a Canadian citizen?
Before you apply, you should make sure that you are eligible for citizenship. You cannot become a Canadian citizen if you:

are under a removal order;
are now charged with an indictable criminal offence;
have been convicted of an indictable criminal offence in the past three years;
are now in prison, on parole, or on probation;
are being investigated for or have been convicted of war crimes; or
had your citizenship revoked in the last five years.
Please note that time spent in prison, on parole or on probation may not be counted toward becoming a citizen.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/be ... howto.html
Praise The Lord!!!!

jo5356
Newly Registered

Post by jo5356 » Wed May 10, 2006 5:46 pm

Check out this site for residency requirements:

http://info.lawyershop.ca/immigration/i ... -business/

jo5356
Newly Registered

Post by jo5356 » Wed May 10, 2006 5:48 pm

I immigrated to Canada from the US in 2003. I have just written my citizenship test and awaiting my ceremony.

Jo

Author "The Canadian Way - An Immigrant's Guide to Settling in Canada"

http://www.thecanadianway.info